Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Audi S5 – and the STW verdict is?
  • SiB
    Free Member

Step-dad has one, he’s 72 and had powerful Audis since day one…..he’s changing his S5 as he says its boring and cant get to like it.

rkk01
    Free Member

I thought the A5 / S5 was the 3 and 5 door versions of the A4 – not based on the current A4 platform, but the introductory models for the new forthcoming A4 platform??

timc
    Free Member

rkk01 – Member
    Should have got a 335d
    That’s one car I’d really like to try…

May as well include a 330d then, Prefer the BM’s to the Audi’s personally

molgrips
    Free Member

It is the coupé and cabriolet versions of the fourth generation (B8) Audi A4 saloon and estate models.

Oh I was wrong. Wiki:

It is the coupé and cabriolet versions of the fourth generation (B8) Audi A4 saloon and estate models.

I think maybe I was reading about the ‘design language’ being new.

rkk01
    Free Member

‘design language’

marketing speak for ugly factor?

molgrips
    Free Member

No it means it looks a bit different.

radoggair
    Free Member

Captain – i posed 360’s and GT3’s as options. The OP never really said what he needed the car for or what it had to have.

Since it was a coupe then it really rules out having children under 8 in the family ( access), and as already said S5 seating in the rear are crammed at best.

but my money would go on a Nissan GTR. Quickest thing from A to B and would eat an RS4, never mind an S5

Fast by a factor of lots

Thirsty by a factor of lots more than that

Not really very nice inside

Really rather brash

Just try getting insurance. Hahhahahahahaha

Faster, yes, but Special Brew will get you pissed quicker than almost anything and it’s still deeply unpleasant.

The GTR’s good to drive for an afternoon, but I’d be embarrassed to own one. It’s aimed at an entirely different market than the S5 though.

I think if he’s looking at an S5 then fuel doesn’t really worry him, but wouldn’t say its in a different market to S5. Both coupe’s, both large engined, both same price, both 4 wheel drive, Audi’s better inside, GTR quicker and lots more fun. But if we take away the Jap alternative then

M3 coupe
    Merc C63 AMG
    2nd Hand M5 or pre reg
    Aston Martin Vantage

All similiar cars, my money would be on the M3 though out of those

molgrips
    Free Member

This is all far to appropriate for STW’s standards.

Might I redress the balance?

Prius
    Mini Moke
    VW Transporter
    Model T
    G Wizz

I think you’ll find the above will be perfect for your needs and preferences.

boblo
    Free Member

That’s more like it. Nasty gas guzzling behemoths those coupes 🙂

rkk01
    Free Member

This would still be my choice of coupe. Couldn’t afford one when they came out, not many good ones around now.

Tried the Fiat 2.0l 20v engine in a Bravo and it was a real gem. Something really distinctive about a 5 cyl.

njee20
    Free Member

I really like the styling of the A5. Whilst the 5 door ‘Sportback’ may be more practical, it looks shit! Sure you can get a bike in the 3 door, I’ll have a bloody good try 🙂

The S5 strikes me as a bit pointless though, I’d just get the 3.0 tdi Quattro. Or the new RS5 if you had too much money to spend.

molgrips
    Free Member

So, A7 then?

IainGillam
    Free Member

So you say you want a good looking saloon…

Sadly a touch expensive especially if you go on their website and start adding the extras that you would actually want.

Iain

Xylene
    Free Member

That car would be great to do some left foot braking with to get somebody off your tail……………………..dejavu

mboy
    Free Member

I thought the A5 / S5 was the 3 and 5 door versions of the A4 – not based on the current A4 platform, but the introductory models for the new forthcoming A4 platform??

Errrr, you’re nearly 4 years behind the times… The A5 came out late summer 2007, the A4 on which it shares its platform came out in 2008. So whilst you’re correct, you are very late!

I really like the styling of the A5. Whilst the 5 door ‘Sportback’ may be more practical, it looks shit! Sure you can get a bike in the 3 door, I’ll have a bloody good try

The S5 strikes me as a bit pointless though, I’d just get the 3.0 tdi Quattro. Or the new RS5 if you had too much money to spend.

Incredibly, they’re not as impractical as you might suspect. The rear seats fold flat, and though it’s only a 2 door, the boot opens pretty wide. You’ve got to take the wheels off yes, but you can get a bike inside easily enough. I know, cos I’ve done it in the one my Dad had…

The 3litre TDi really is pretty rapid, it may be 120bhp shy, but its got more torque. And besides, if you want more power, it will easily remap to add another 50bhp and yet more torque. It is reasonably economical on a run too, considering the size of the engine, the 4wd system, and mahoosively wide 19″ tyres. I did a 500 mile round trip, from mine to the lakes, round the lakes, and back in my Dad’s car, and it averaged 39mpg the whole time. And that was 85-90 mostly on the motorway, and some spirited back road driving! Round town the MPG is poor, like most heavy cars with a big engine, but my Dad topped 50mpg on a round trip once! OK, it was about 60 miles of dual carriageway, at a constant 65mph, but it can be done… The petrol S5 would be lucky to do half that!

+ Is it just me or are all Audi’s going down the tacky route at the min? I drive passed their showroom on the way home and the wheels are getting proper bling garish things and wings are appearing on boots and stuff. I thought Audis were a conservative brand ?!?! or are they now aiming for the new money c@ck market ?

Audi went down the “bling it up” route years ago, look at how many non S-Line normal Audi’s there are on the roads these days… Not many! All the guys who used to buy M-Sport Beemers back around 2000-2005 have all moved into S-Line Audi’s. You used not to be able to move for M-Sport 3 series, these days though, most new 3 series BMW’s seem to be the much more modest SE spec, whereas all new Audi’s come blinged up to the nines! Hey ho…

I’m counting on the trend bucking any time soon though, cos just agreed to buy an old A4 Avant after my Passat died the other day! Y2K model though, pre drug dealer wheels and all that though 😉

Conqueror
    Free Member

2 conversations taking place

Probably rather have the Volvo S60 T6 AWD (304 PS) to some of the stuff posted on ‘ere

But if you are talking about something brutal, any budget and ragability factored in, really what would be better is a TVR Chimaera or TVR Sagaris 🙂

boblo
    Free Member

Quirrel – Member
    That car would be great to do some left foot braking with to get somebody off your tail……………………..dejavu

Awesome…. 😉

duntmatter
    Free Member

8)

MrOvershoot

Just for BWD

molgrips
    Free Member

I would rather have this:

BadlyWiredDog

Wow, a properly ugly Corrado with nasty big wheels. I’d rather have one like this:

As for the new Scirocco, hmmm…

MrOvershoot

TBH I was looking for a tasteful picture of a VR6 but non came up?

With you on the new Scirocco, had a MKII Scirocco GTI without the skirts which was my all time fave car & the wife’s.

molgrips
    Free Member

Best thing about the Scirrocco is that it’s available in diesel 😉

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Audi S5 – and the STW verdict is?’ is closed to new replies.