Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Audi A6 estate 2.0 Tfsi 2006 anyone owned one ?
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Looking at a 2006 auto estate
    Not interstate in diesel anymore.

Real life stories???

jambalaya
    Free Member

I had a 2.7tdi auto Quattro avant 2007. If its same shape (I think so) and you want info about the car ex engine then I can help.

dooosuk
    Free Member

There’s serious oil burning issues in the TFSI petrol engines iirc . A litre every few hundred miles in the worst cases. Not sure I’d be buying a used one with 80k + miles on it.

MrTall
    Free Member

I’ve got an A5 2.0tfsi (2011) and real world mpg is about 25, not remotely close to the published 37. Plus I hate my auto box and will be going back to manual in my next car. I’m not a diesel person either but this engine is nowhere near powerful enough to justify the mpg (I have the 211bhp variant). My dad has an S6 (4.0l V8) which gets roughly the same as mine. If I have a day of ‘spirited driving’ I’ll get closer to 19 mpg.

This was my first Audi and will be my last. Ymmv

Mine also get through a load of oil as well (although one 5l bottle a year mostly covers it) which Audi seems to think is well within normal parameters. Muppets.

GJP
    Free Member

I had a 2006 A3 sportback 2.0 TFSI Quattro from new for 8 years. No problems whatsoever, new battery after five years and that was it bar tyres every 20k. Average about 26mpg and I had a reasonably heavy foot.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I had a 2008 A4 with the 2.0TFSi engine. It went well enough but by god did it drink oil!
    It wasn’t out of the ordinary to use a litre of oil every 7-800 miles.

I wouldn’t even consider getting anything with that engine again.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Is this all tfsi engines ??? Or just a handful with the oil problem ?

orangeboy
    Free Member

There are huge threads on the car sites ( piston heads and honest john ) about the oil issues.

CountZero

Based purely on the one car?
    Perhaps if you actually tried a diesel version?
    The 2.0 TDi cars are pretty quick, and consumption is very reasonable. I’ve driven an A6, and several Golfs with that engine, and they were tremendous fun to drive, very quick, with around 170 ps.

Houns

My 2.0 tfsi engine in my skoda drinks oil too, needs a good top up every 1k or so

dooosuk
    Free Member

Issue was fixed in 2011 by all accounts, I wouldn’t be buying an earlier model:
    https://www.audi.co.uk/about-audi/latest-news/audi-uk-bbc-watchdog-oil-consumption-june-2015.html

Even the specified normal usage of 0.5l per 600miles by Audi is ridiculous.

jambalaya
    Free Member

My 3.0 petrol Shogun used to use similar amounts of oil

OP IMHO a 2 is too small an engine in such a big car, the 2.7tdi I had suited it very well. I know what you mean about diesel but given range offered I think its the only decent choice

molgrips
    Free Member

OP IMHO a 2 is too small an engine in such a big car

It is a turbo, this does make rather a lot of difference…

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

I have now spoken to the owner and he tops up every 1000-1200 miles

In reality the car will do less then 6000 per year so it’s not so much of an issue ??!

And will be a nice car to own…

molgrips
    Free Member

I think you will find it a pain in the arse tbh.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I have now spoken to the owner and he tops up every 1000-1200 miles

In reality the car will do less then 6000 per year so it’s not so much of an issue ??!

That would depend on what he considers a top up.
    To some that could be 200ml, to others 1.5 litres.

johndoh
    Free Member

That would depend on what he considers a top up.
    To some that could be 200ml, to others 1.5 litres.

And if he is letting it get very low before topping up, it could be causing other damage…

stumpy01

CountZero – Member

Based purely on the one car?

Completely irrelevant to the thread in general but to be honest, I feel the same about our Citroen.
    First ‘French’ car ever owned, spent ages deliberating over whether all the scare stories are justified, or whether to just bite the bullet & get a Citroen.
    Got one……wish I hadn’t. Absolute pile of crap….not going there again. Perfect for our requirements in terms of space, size etc…. but just an unreliable pile of badly made junk….

hora
    Free Member

Seat told BIL that 1ltr per 600miles was within design tolerances on a 2.0tfsi.

My 102,000mile Saab 2.3T hasn’t used a drop in 6k.

Guess who I trust.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Thanks for all replies must admit feeling slightly nervous, it’s a lovely car but just don’t want to go down the diesel route anymore.

Have owned lots of VWs which are essentialy the same cars as Audi and I’ve never heard/had any major issues such as the oil eating problem.

Confused.audi.com!

dooosuk
    Free Member

It just doesn’t seem worth the risk to me when there’s plenty of other viable options out there without known major design flaws.

You have his word for the usage and top up schedule but is he telling the truth, how longs he had it, who had the car before him and can you stomach the loss if the engine goes totally.

What mileage has it done, the wear will be worse the higher the mileage.

Rockape63
    Free Member

I had a 53 Petrol V6 3.0 quattro sport for ten years and sold it when it was 12 years old. I did 10k a year in it and serviced it as per the recommended timings.

I never ever put any oil in it between services, as it didn’t seem to lose any.

So perhaps look at the V6 petrol…something like THIS!

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Owned for two years serviced yearly FSH all motorway miles at 130000
    Wants shade over £2000…

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Anyone have anymore to add ?

If not many thanks for all help

Superficial
    Free Member

£8.5k seems like a lot of money for an 11 year old car. No ta. Used Audi estates seem to command an unreasonable premium. IMO of course.

The 130k one for £2k sounds like it might be worth a punt though. If it looks nice of course.

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP sold mine at 110k mikes (7yrs) and it felt like new – went as part of divorce and if it hadn’t been for that I would have kept it

iainc

If you’re only doing 6k miles pa an old diesel is not ideal and can have big bills as clogs up filters and stuff. If I was doing under 12-15k miles a year petrol would be my choice.

raincloud
    Free Member

I’ve owned a mk5 golf gti for the last three years. Same engine. Best car I’ve ever owned. Oil consumption is no more or less then any other car i’ve owned. Things to check are oil pick up pipe in sump, these apparently get blocked up, mine was checked and wasn’t blocked. Divert valve, make sure diaphragm is not ripped (loss of power results) and while your at it replace for a revision G one. Has fuel pump cam follower been changed (it’s a 30 quid serviceable part, get it done with yearly oil change). Speaking of oil use Miller’s nanotech at 5 40.

After all this take it to r tech in Hinckley and get it mapped. You will see a reliable, healthy 250 bhp and 300 lbs torque from a stage 1 map.

Do it you won’t regret it.

ThePerfectKiss

Just chopped in our a4 1.8t avant for an a6 avant, wanted petrol and as you know rare as… managed to get one on an 07 plate, 2.8 fsi which is V6 chain cam engine, same VED as the old 1.8 and very similar mpg so don’t be put off by a bigger lump and it helped that ours only done 55k and i’m aware that fsi engines have a tendency for carbon build up. If auto is a must check carefully. Ours is manual and S line, which adds more sportiness to the looks and less in terms of comfort on average uk road surfaces.

senorj

I have a manual 2l tfsi turbo . It uses oil as described above.
    Regularly serviced and I’ve put over 110k on the clock.
    I plan to run it til it dies.
    Averages 35mpg on motorway & 25 in town.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Spent an hour with the owner today- I’m now the owner and £2200 lighter.

All matched up and the litre of oil every few months should be okay, if not at the price I paid I’ll sell it on.

Nicer place to be than the Passat !

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Audi A6 estate 2.0 Tfsi 2006 anyone owned one ?’ is closed to new replies.