• This topic has 22 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by hora.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Audi A4 – anyone advise me on engine 'issue' before I buy? Mechanic?
  • neil_enty
    Free Member

Looking to buy a 57 Audi A4 2.0 tdi s line SE Avant. 62 or 66,000 miles.
    Buying from approved Audi (Warrington) garage, the previous 1 owner has Audi’s for 3 years then exchanges as part of his company car deal and is a regular customer (or so they say).

The Audi garage told me that the turbo went and as the car was under warranty the engine was replaced… they told me pretty much straight away when I enquired about the car.

I asked about speaking to the previous owner, to get a low down on the history of the car, Audi salesman said yeah, but has so far only managed to leave messages and have yet to speak to the bloke asking permission for me to call him (data protection).

Would a blown turbo require an engine change – even if under warranty?

I have the reg of the car – but that is about it

Any help / advice out there please?

Moda
    Free Member

We just had an issue with one of our company cars which was an 06 plate and it had to have a new engine after another part went that blow the turbo and screwed up the entire engine. To be fair to Audi even though the car was out of warranty a £7k bill was reduced to £1.5k after a little persuasion. I cant remember the exact terminology but will get back to you Monday with all the details including the engine model that it affects…

neil_enty
    Free Member

Thanks Moda useful info…

I would get a year warranty if I was to buy from the dealer and a 30 day bring back policy. Think I’m going to the dealer on Monday for a test drive, it was off to ‘be prepared’ when i first went (odd scratch here and there on the doors and dog hair in the boot).

Moda
    Free Member

Heres a link to one forum to the problem i highlighted above, If you search on the topic title you can find more but i think it effected the BLB engined models where a plastic part broke.. If it has the BLB engine make sure its been remedied…

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=82897

valleydaddy
    Free Member

well if they’ve fitted a new engine and the price reflects that you could well be quids in, 3 year old car with a new engine – bargain.

If it’s from an Audi dealer I wouldn’t be too concerned especially if they ahev been so upfront with you.

Put it this way if they just changed the turbo would you be happier?

Me if they changed the whole engine – bonus you are the one who will get the benefit – plus you have the warranty

I’ve had A4’s for years and love ’em

molgrips
    Free Member

If a turbo goes, it usually doesn’t mean the engine is damaged imo. Depending on how the turbo failed tho, bits of it might’ve ended up in the engine which could’ve damaged it.

chainslapp
    Free Member

What can happen when a turbo lets go is it sucks all the engine oil out and blows it out of the exhaust. If it went at speed this may have been the case.

neil_enty
    Free Member

Thank you for the replies, I have just emailed the dealer/garage to find out some further info especially regarding the oil pump / balance shaft failure – that seems the greatest risk but also seems only to affect 05-56 A4’s…

Thanks chainslapp that’s food for thought.

all advice taken on board, the more info I have the better the questions I can ask.

cheers

chainslapp
    Free Member

BTW the reg isn’t KY57OYD is it?

neil_enty
    Free Member

no it’s ML57 ZD

molgrips
    Free Member

The oil pump thing, I think I was at risk of that too with my Passat. I found on a Passat forum the engine numbers that were affected, and I wasn’t.

br
    Free Member

tbh There are lots of s/h cars around and I’d just go look at another one – unless you are happy to take risk (obviously you may be lucky and its fine) or in 60k or less miles it’ll pop another engine…

hora
    Free Member

Your going to have to bring this up when you sell the car on.

In addition, is the car priced fairly (below private-book value) or is it priced at dealer level? This bits interesting.

I’d buy it if it was Cat C priced. Partly because of the future hassle of disposing/PX’ing.

ChrisA
    Free Member

Personally i wouldn;t touch it with a barge pole. 2 guys at work have…sorry, used to run Audi’s. One was a 57 plate A3 S-Line, the turbo was replaced twice in 3 years and was replaced with a BMW 320d.

The second has a 57 plate A4 Avant 2.0 S-Line 170 bhp. i’m only going on what i’ve been told by him but allegedly the engine clogs up with city driving and it has been in and out of the garage for 3 years. The past 9 months of which it has been in the dealers and they cannot diagnose the fault on it. That has about 60k miles on it too. Audi would not have it back as unfit for purpose, and our guy was left with a courtesy car until it is fixed (a basic A3) which they took off him when it needed a service and left him without a car since. Its currently awaiting an ombundsman decision as Audi will not take the car back or fix it. In the mean time, he’s back in the company scheme and had just took delivery of another BMW until the above is resolved.

I haven;t had any personal dealings with them, but on both occasions they seem to have washed their hands of any kind of responsibility and i just haven’t got the time or patiance to get messed about like that so i’d never buy one! By the sounds of the one your looking at, my colleague isn;t on his own either!!

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Is this the Audi garage by Gemini retail park? My ex’s dad had an Audi from there (must have been about 2005) that too had an engine problem and was replaced under warranty, when he came to sell it buyers were put off. I’m a fussy bugger and wouldn’t buy it unless it’s mint or the price was right.

hora
    Free Member

Shoe on the other foot. If you took your Audi with a different engine into a Audi dealership and asked for top PX value you know what they’d say to you don’t you?

😆

petrieboy

I really can’t see the problem. It’s a used car but with a brand new manufacturer supplied and dealer fitted engine? Presumably the paperwork is all sorted? This is a good thing surely?? It’s not like it’s a 12 year old mondeo which some monkey has put a scrap sierra engine in!! Cant see why you’d “have” to tell a future buyer either, tho I probably would as it’s a benefit.

loddrik
    Free Member

They’ll sell it with an excellent used warranty which you’ll be able to extend so why worry anyway…?

neil_enty
    Free Member

Thank you for all the posts… to stick or twist?
    Now I am waiting the reply from Audi on the engine model to see if it has the oil pump – balance shaft failure problem highlighted by moda but i think this is a 05 & 56 plate problem. other than that, new engine with warranty & extended warranty? good thing no?

monkey_boy
    Free Member

tbh There are lots of s/h cars around and I’d just go look at another one – unless you are happy to take risk (obviously you may be lucky and its fine) or in 60k or less miles it’ll pop another engine…

+1

hora
    Free Member

They’ll sell it with an excellent used warranty which you’ll be able to extend so why worry anyway.

….and how long is the OP keeping the car? This excellent extended warranty won’t apply beyond 12months. Or he wants to put say 7k value in the car against his next car?..

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

Also ask whether the manifold inlet flap has been changed. these go at 70-80K on 2.0 tdi VAG engines. Both my wife’s and father in laws have gone on their a3 and golf 2.0 tdi’s. It’s a common fault- google it. I’d ask about that before you commit any cash too.

hora
    Free Member
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Audi A4 – anyone advise me on engine 'issue' before I buy? Mechanic?’ is closed to new replies.