Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Audi 3.0 TDi Estate
  • chiefinspector
    Free Member

Currently have a passat which is a great car but looking to buy an estate car in the next couple of months. Looking at the 3.0 Audi as it will have a decent amount of power compared to the passat. Anybody owned one of these before and would you recommend?

codybrennan
    Free Member

Which model?

chiefinspector
    Free Member

Probably the S line, around 2010 – 2011.

chiefinspector
    Free Member

Should have said A4

LoCo
    Free Member

A4 is smaller internally than a Passat isn’t it?

WE’re considering a 3.0 TDI A6 as a replacement for the B5.5 Passat (sport 😆 ) we currently have as a family car due to the recent arrival second child, either that or a T5.

chiefinspector
    Free Member

I would rather have an A6 but the missus is terrified of driving big cars. She hates driving the passat because of this and also because it doesn’t have reverse parking sensors. Not sure how she will get on with an A4 as it only slightly smaller than a passat but she at least likes the look of it 🙂

redhouse246
    Free Member

if it makes a difference about diesel/petrol, i have a 2002 a4 avant 3.0l v6 quattro sport, its just done 188000 miles, i took it to chamonix 2 weeks ago and did 1500 miles in 10 days, the car was perfect in the snow, was a beast on the motorways. its proper quick with 250bhp. Not the biggest estate out there but we managed to fit five people with luggage.

i cannot speak highly enough of the a4 its a superb bit of kit.

chiefinspector
    Free Member

Whats the 3.0 like for fuel consumption?

nosedive
    Free Member

I have an A6, It’s a massive car. My wife refuses to drive it.

If I was getting a new one I would probably avoid the 3.0 and go for the 170 hp 2.0, it’s ok for power and cheaper to run

nosedive
    Free Member

meant to say, you might find the a4 small compared to a passatt, they are really small inside compared to a big estate

sambob
    Free Member

A4’s really are quite small if you want to put more than two full sized people in them, poor leg room in the back. A6’s are HUGE though.

falkirk-mark

My mate had a quattro A4 etate with that engine it cost him a fortune in road tax and struggled to get much past 25 mpg. though not being 4wd it will chuck a few needed mpg your way.

tinybits
    Free Member

25mpg out of that engine means you’re driving pretty enthusiastically! Cracking engine, pulls like a train. It’s far faster than 250hp would make you think.
    A4 s line is small inside. With the big leather sports seats there is 8cm between the back of the drivers seat and the back seats with the front seat where I drive. There’s not really enough room for a rear word facing car seat even (and I mean behind the passenger seat, there’s 100% not enough room behind the drivers!) and sadly the boot isn’t huge either. Think couple with hobbies car. Having said that, I loved mine. Went like stink, comfortable, good toys and no problems in 750000 miles other than 1 wheelbearing, well other than the 4k bill for totalling a deer but I won’t blame the car for that!
    Now have an A6 and wish id fbought a 3l quattro one , but size wise it’s what I need with 1.5 kids (soon to be 2)

sharkbait
    Free Member

750k…. Impressive!

tinybits
    Free Member

Ah right, bugger. 75000!

Yetiman
    Free Member

The 3.0L V6 petrol engine from a few years ago has 220bhp and not the 250bhp as stated above. Nice enough engine though with mpg around 25, probably a bit more in the smaller A4 (I had the A6 version). The newer 3.2 engine developed 256bhp.

The 3.0L TDI engine is a cracker, really smooth and quick too. 35-40mpg or there abouts depending on driving style seems to be the norm and it came with either 204bhp or 233bhp. Our company pool car used to be an A6 3.0tdi Avant……it’s now a 2.0tdi golf 🙁

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Useful site for you:

VAG Forum

Rockape63
    Free Member

The 3.0L V6 petrol engine from a few years ago has 220bhp and not the 250bhp as stated above.

I was going to say that! My 3.0 quattro sport A4 convertible averages 25mpg and will do over 30mpg on a run round the M25 between 60-80mph.

If I boot it, it won’t get near 20mpg. Been thinking about replacing it for a while now, but its still so good (105k miles) to drive and has is hardly depreciating anymore.

Was given an A5 3.0 tdi which was VERY fast but required more effort to drive and nothing like as smooth.

johnhighfield
    Free Member

I have an A6 2.5TDI Avant Sport & the wife an A4 1.9TDI Avant – 03 & 04 respectively so not the later models.

The A4 is a bit tight in the back particularly if you have large children or 4 adults to fit in. The later ones may be more spacious.

The auto gearbox on the 98-2004 cars is an absolute lemon (its a CVT box) and is best avoided – google the forums! The quatros use the tiptronic box which is fine. I get a careful 33mpg with the A6 & the wife’s A4 about 45mpg. Both are excellent cars – but the A6 is much nicer to drive for longer journeys & will hapilly cruise all day on the motorway at a good speed.

tlr

I’ve got a 59 plate 3.0TDi A6. Lovely car.

About 40mpg or more on a run, enough umf to overtake if needed.

New Bi-turbo must be amazing.

tinybits
    Free Member

Sorry, I was talking desiel engines and thought that it was 250. Ok it was a bit less but felt like a rocket ship. I’ll be getting another in 18months!
    Never driven a big petrol audi so no opinion.

chiefinspector
    Free Member

The ones i have been looking at claim 240 bhp & 369 lbs/ft of torque which sounds right up my street. My passat is the 2.0 170 sport TDi model but lacks power to make it an exciting car to drive. I do have a young daughter and another baby on the way but one of my colleagues at work has an A3 with 2 child seats in the back. It is a bit cramped so i was hoping the A4 would be a lot better.

boblo
    Free Member

The 3.0 Quattro is 240, the 3.0 2wd 204 bhp. The bi turbo something else entirely…… I have the 2wd 2.7 diesel A6 chipped to ~220bhp and I get about 40mpg on a run. The old 2.5 had 180bhp in quattro form and 163bhp in 2wd.

Northwind

nosedive – Member

meant to say, you might find the a4 small compared to a passatt, they are really small inside compared to a big estate

They’re even small compared to a Passat never mind a big estate! If you want a car to do an estate car’s job you should look elsewhere sadly, I wanted one 🙁 (if you want what’s basically a saloon with a tall boot, it’ll do you grand)

maxtorque

If they did a rwd only model, i’d seriously consider having the bi-turbo 3 litre derv one, but they don’t, so i, erm, don’t 😉

jamj1974

2012 A6 3.0 TDI Quattro owner (New shape). Great torque and bhp. MPG good on longer journeys – not so on short journeys as you would expect. Previously had 06 A4 with previous 3.0 TDI engine (240PS)which was also great with similar positives and negatives.

Brycey
    Free Member

They’re definitely not huge, A4 Avants, however I get the Missus, 2 year old, 0.25 year old, weekend kit and caboodle (including pram and biking kit) in mine no bother. Bike on the back obviously.

177PS TDI SLine, fairl bit of poke, 40 odd mpg with all the crap on board and a decent cruising sped.

chiefinspector
    Free Member

The Bi-Turbo sounds great but its only available on the new A6 & A7 and way out of my price range. I can maybe stretch to £23000 max as i also need to buy a new bike this year as well. I think i will stick with the A4 as the missus has just said if i get an A4 then she wants a 7 seat vehicle such as a VW Touran for all the happy family days. Sounds good to me!!!

jamj1974

I got my young family across France in my a4 saloon – space wasn’t an issue, even when taking a travel cot, 16″ wheel bike, clothing and food in boot.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Audi 3.0 TDi Estate’ is closed to new replies.