Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 114 total)
  • Audi
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I think I really like Audis. Maybe I'll save up for one…

Never driven one properly tho.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Eh?!!

molgrips
    Free Member

Eh what? I was admiring a really nice looking new A3 in the carpark yesterday.. Nice.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Very random.

Just buy a Golf.

bol

I used to be a big fan of audis. Used to be a bit understated and quietly classy. Now it seems that whenever I'm on the motorway it's audis rather than BMWs that are driven by the sort of people who sit 5mm off your bumper at 80 when you're overtaking. The bloody stupid led lights rather single them out as bellendmobiles too I'm sad to say. Not that I suppose you should be put off a nice car by the people who tend to drive them, but I am.

molgrips
    Free Member

Random, yes. I'm in a random mood.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

TBH, apart from the S and RS models, they are just another VAG (snigger) brand with fairly dull engines and handling.

If a car is up my jacksy for no reason, most of the time it's some t1t in a lame engined Audi with all the S-Line bodykit/big alloys trying to prove himself – and a growing trend – herself.

molgrips
    Free Member

Well I care this much —><— about how other people drive with a car like mine. As you must also, being a BMW driver 😉

The new A3 I saw looked very classily designed, sophisticated and elegant, more so than a Golf. And I realy like the 2.0 TDI although I would probably go smaller. Maybe even one of those TFSI petrol engines. Although if you are going to take the reduction in horsepower you can get brill fuel economy from the diesels.

bol

The only problem with driving a car that tends to be driven by nobbers is that other people tend to judge you accordingly. Hense the fact that despite rather liking BMs, I would never own one. That makes me particularly shallow doesn't it?

molgrips
    Free Member

Possibly.. but A3s don't count surely?

bol

I do like them, but I have a feeling that they tend to appeal to people who aspire to am a4 or a5, but whose company lease car allowance won't quite stretch – so still driven badly. It's tricky – they are so much nicer to look at than a golf.

molgrips
    Free Member

bol – that's VW Passats, in saloon form.

tonyg2003

Looking at all the road test reports I've been reading lately the smaller TFSI engine seem to be quite uneconomical. 31mpg average for a 1.2 Skoda yet over 6K miles?

I'm not fussed by Audi's most seem to ride too harshly but don't handle brillantly. I'd trade stiff ride for descent handling but harsh and poor handling seems a poor trade off.

hh45
    Free Member

Hense the fact that despite rather liking BMs, I would never own one. That makes me particularly shallow doesn't it?

er, no not really. Reckon there are loads of people like that. Including me and BMWs, golf, and a few other things as well.

molgrips
    Free Member

A3 1.2 tfsi auto claims 53mpg on their website. If the real world is that low, then someone wants to have a word with Audi.

I drove a Jetta with the 'sport' suspension, and it was ridiculously harsh. So much so that I didn't want to throw it around as I daren't go fast enough, due to the shaking and bumping.

cookeaa

Following on from my thread the other day about the joy I found driving a V70 rental I would recommend you get a test drive before deciding if you actually like a car, in much the same way people always recommend trying a bike before you buy it, I reckon spending a day ragging your "dream car " is well worth it, it actually might not be for you…

In other related news today's Rental was a brand spanking new Astra, Wooo! Auto, 1.6L Petrol, delivered with 1000 miles on the clock, it is probably the worst car I have ever driven EVER!!!
    I actually hope GM do go down the Shitter, just so they can no longer sell crap like that…

br
    Free Member

An A3?

Just ask the ladies, one of them will drive it.

molgrips
    Free Member

I had the chance to buy my mate's A3, I refused.. shame…

ZaskarCarbon
    Free Member

I think a lot of people's perceptions of Audi/Beemer drivers comes from the fact that they are driving a car which is, essentially, no better than an equivalent Ford, but the driver (in a lot of cases) has paid the extra money for the badge, because it makes them feel that little bit more superior.

Kind of like the guy who walks into a bike shop, finds the most expensive bike and walks out with it, so he can show it off down the trails.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Clarkson was right, Audi drivers are the new BMW drivers. Go for a nice 3 series instead. It's ok, honest you can!

molgrips
    Free Member

BMW were never as fuel efficient, but that new 320 could be. Depends who's lying the most on the tests mind.

And I don't like Audis because of the badge, I find the interior design rather nice. The one I drove (in 2003 I think) was a hire car, the same year I hired a golf. Ok so the golf was a year or two old but it was not a patch on the Audi interms of interior quality, style and refinement.

The new A3 is just a nice looking car. So's the Golf, but I think the Audi has it 🙂

PJM1974
    Free Member

There hasn't been a proper Audi since the 1990 Ur-quattro.

My bro drives a 5 series and makes a point of letting people out at junctions and generally being nice just to see people's reactions.

Good on him.

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

A mate of mine had a new A3 2litre diesel S line. Nice enough car,but twenty -odd grand for a glorified Golf Diesel??? ….and the build quality was less than stellar.

tonyg2003

Molgrips – I have read 4 long term road tests recently for 1.2 and 1.4 TFSI VAG cars and they all agreed that they were disappointing on fuel. Maybe they are particularly well set up for the government fuel tests or particualry unsuited to the way journalists drive cars!

I completely agree cookeaa that the 205PS V70 is a fine car and I almost bought one this week, but at 1-2years old they are almost impossible to find but my money has gone on something very similar but possibly nicer yet 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Hmm.. shame then, since those tfsi were very promising in theory.

loddrik
    Free Member

If you like driving, don't drive an Audi and a BMW back to back as the bm pisses all over them. Nice interiors though.

Barelyincontrol
    Free Member

Always good to have the standard 'BMW rear-drive is so superior for the keen driver' argument trotted out. Therefore if you buy one you are a keen driver of superior ability. Whilst I admit that rear drive cars are better in track conditions, in the real world the vast majority of drivers have no idea how to drive rear wheel drive cars. Also in poor weather (e.g. the UK climate) front wheel drive will be far safer and 4WD quattro will murder RWD. And no proper Audis since the Ur-quattro? Are you mad? RS2, RS4, A2, RS6, R8.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

And the TT of course 😉

loddrik
    Free Member

Had many audis and many many BMWs, the whole rear drive not as safe argument is bollox really, the DSC bmws have is easily up to the job of keeping a rear drive car on the road no matter what the weather. Audis have great ownership appeal but just aren't that good to drive. Fords are a good example of how to make a front drive car good to drive, Audi keep falling short when it comes to putting decent chassis in their cars.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

A2?! Apart from the RS4 and the R8, none handle very well. RWD is brilliant in all but snow – no torque steer and so predictable. BMs have proper steering with feedback, brakes that aren't snatchy and are all balanced. They laugh at Audis marketing hyped efforts.

I tested an A4 3.0TDI Avant before getting the 335d and it was so inferior, it was funny.

Just get a Golf or a Bimmer.

madspot
    Free Member

I am going to help you here, I do have a A3 S-Lne 170bhp diesel, looks great but bloody uncomfortable and expensive, my wifes car is a golf gti, much,much better, and I can concur Audis make you drive like an arse!
    My excuse for having one, its a company car.

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

I had an A8. It exemplified the Audi design. Classy, understated and adequate in every way.

If you made love to a woman and she said 'That was very adequate' how would you feel?

Sold it.

molgrips
    Free Member

Mat I don't think you understand my criteria. I don't like BMW since they look too aggressive for me. I don't want the best handling car, I want comfort, quietness and relaxation with handling good enough to flow on country roads (at sensible speeds). And fuel economy.

I like the look of the new A3 because I think it's stylish, understated and classy. Of course, I've not drive, one, I may hate the drive. But it ticks one or two of my boxes at least.

If I made love to a woman and she told me that was adequate, I might be upset (perhaps her minimum criteria for lovemaking were earth-shattering ecstasy) but I'm not a bloody car, so it's something of a different proposition.

secret-squirrel
    Free Member

Totally agree on RWD argument – OH, brother and dad all BMW drivers either now or in the past … rear-wheel drive shocking in the ice and snow but pretty good the rest of the time.

I've had a 2.0l diesel A3 for nearly 4 years now and really like it, but I also agree that the agressive driving I used to associate with BMW drivers (I know they're not all the same, but …) is more and more likely to come from an Audi now, but I think A3 drivers (myself included 😆 ) still tend to be a good bunch. Ilike the styling and drive (I have the Sport model) … I know some criticise the drive, but I've loved it from the outset, having tried a few of the rivals. I like driving and like to push a car a bit, but probably don't drive in a style that would reveal race-track short-comings.

Incidentally, having had at least half a dozen BMWs over the past 20 years or so, my dad is now considering replacing his Golf with an A3 (and keeping the aging 323 too). He's recently test-driven an A3 and really rates the build quality, especially over the 1 Series BMW. Horses for courses, I know, but he's definitely in a position to make a fairly well informed judgement (albeit as a more mature driver these days).

br
    Free Member

My bro drives a 5 series and makes a point of letting people out at junctions and generally being nice just to see people's reactions.

Me too, and I use my indicators to really confuse 'em.

GJP
    Free Member

Proud Audi owner here.

Test drove a number of BMWs and yes they drove very nicely but overall I was not impressed by the quality of the finish. The BMW offereed a much better drive than the front wheel drive Audi's, but the Quattro system makes an enormous difference in the handling, not the same, may be better, but then perhaps not as involving – more go cart than sports car?

When I was looking BMWs seemed very expensive when you specced it up whereas the top spec Audi I bought came in about 6 grand cheaper.

Dealing with BMW dealers was a PITA, Audi were a sheer joy.

ZaskarCarbon
    Free Member

b r – Wow, do Bimmers have indicators as standard then? I always thought they were optional extras 😉

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Mat I don't think you understand my criteria. I don't like BMW since they look too aggressive for me. A bog standard non M Sport BMW is not at all "aggressive" – many Audis try to be. I don't want the best handling car, why not? I want comfort quietness and relaxation with handling good enough to flow on country roads (at sensible speeds) Hang on – you said handling isn't important. A BMW is more comfy on average than a tarted up Audi and just as quiet. And fuel economy. BMWs are way more fuel efficient than Audis.

So what are your criteria then? So far they are perfectly met by a Golf or a smallish BMW. Or a Merc. Or even a Ford Focus.

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

Sack it off and get an R32, hard house compilation optional (but encouraged).

molgrips
    Free Member

I like Golfs, so they are also on my list. I just like Audis styling better inside and out. Personally I find some Audis and many BMWs aggressively styled, but not the A3.

A few years back BMWs were not as fuel efficient as other cars. That new 3 series is pretty good at 109g/km CO2, but there's an A3 with the same. Of course it's not as powerful, but there you go. I suspect that neither would come close to their published figures tho, so I would like to see how they stack up in real life.

Handling is important as long as it's decent, but I don't give a crap about the ragged edge since I never drive like that. Hence my Prius and Passat both are adequate.. Prius could do with a stiffer chassis and bigger tyres I suspect (but then it wouldn't be so fuel efficeint); the Passat could do with less body roll and with being smaller.. but then I suppose it wouldnt' be as comfortable.

I tested a Focus when shopping – I didn't like the interiors but the real issue was the equippment packages. To get cruise control you have to have the top line model which means paying for tons of stuff you don't want, like leather. Spec FAIL.

I saw the A3 today and thought 'that looks a lovely car'. Is that wrong?

EDIT: the Audi A3 1.6 TDI is £18k, the BMW 320ed is a massive £27k. To me that makes them not in the same price range!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 114 total)

The topic ‘Audi’ is closed to new replies.