Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 219 total)
  • attention seeker needs more publicity….
  • project
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-17249099

So here you are, isnt it about time you stepped into the real world, where there are people who dont want your beliefs and words shoved down their throats, where there are poor people living on the streets , and who have no jobs, yet you only work on Sundays, and have a big house, free of charge, perhaps rent a few rooms out, or convert it to a hostel,just perhaps you can say something to help them.
    You just want attention and are trying to recruit new members to your way of life , which isnt the way of life for many millions of us normal types, who are accepting of peoples ability and right to live together in a relationship,unlike yourself and others you suround yourself with.

Junkyard
    Free Member

grotesque subversion of a universally accepted human right”.

I dont think this means what he thinks especially the UNIVERSAL bit
    father.

“Same-sex marriage would eliminate entirely in law the basic idea of a mother and a father for every child. It would create a society which deliberately chooses to deprive a child of either a mother or a father.”

He seem to think that marriages makes children …I knew they were not keen on sex education in catholic schools but can someone explain theprocess to him

Imagine for a moment that the government had decided to legalise slavery but assured us that ‘no one will be forced to keep a slave’.

He seems to be forgetting that god allows slaves here …are you sure he is a cardinal?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    MSP

There are laws that imprison, and laws that create freedom, I think he has made it clear which he prefers.

project
    Free Member

From flaperons linky,

Church officials have backed O’Brien’s statement, claiming that having a pointy hat and a big gold chair means that their two-thousand year-old opinions on the modern world are incredibly important.

A Catholic spokesperson said, “If we let people live the sorts of lives they want to, which make them happy and don’t affect anyone else, then what role does the church have left in society?”

“Before you know it, the collection plates we send round to parishioners at mass will be empty and we might start having to sell off our billions in assets.”

“This is the slippery slope towards the church becoming obsolete – so of course we’re against it.”

But is it still relevant,its not as if it would be missed like sunday shopping would be.

Pook

I thought this might be about WCA and the BIG BIKE BASH

😀

project
    Free Member

Somebodies hacked his site, the admission price has gained an extra zero.

Edukator
    Free Member

Marriage is between a man and a woman. If gays want something similar that’s fine but don’t call it marriage. Find another name.

Pook

Edukator, why?

Marriage is just a word, no? The marriage of the chain to the wheel, the marriage of cobra beer to a curry, the marriage of bicycle to mountain….

Surely ‘marriage’ is the positive bringing together of two things, be they people, items, places, ideologies or anything else?

CountZero

Oddly enough there was a priest talking about this on the news as I was reading this thread. He said that marriage has changed often over the generations, and in his opinion it’s not about gender, and everything about love.

grum
    Free Member

The slavery analogy is breathtakingly stupid.

Marriage is between a man and a woman. If gays want something similar that’s fine but don’t call it marriage. Find another name.

If gay people want to get married, and call it a marriage, why is it anyone else’s business?

project
    Free Member

If gays want something similar that’s fine but don’t call it marriage. Find another name.

Perhaps “educators” then

Junkyard
    Free Member

Grum I think it is hatred and not allowing them the same rights as non gays or it is a well thought out and logical position based on invisible unproven sky fairies views of them….either way it is impossible to defeat the power of their logic or the force of their reason.

iDave
    Free Member

“attention seeker needs more publicity….”

shame you picked on the church to get it though project 😉

Edukator
    Free Member

On a forum where people seem pay a lot of attention to the correct use of words I refer you to your dictionary, Pook. Mine says:

Mariage: Union légale d’un homme et d’une femme.

The legal union of a man and woman. If you check the origin of the word “mariage” in French a thousand years back it refers to an agreement between two men, the father of the bride and the groom in which responsibilty for the bride is passed from father to groom. The word is therefore inapproppriate in a union in which the partners are female as there is no agreement between two men. In the interests of sexual equality we need a new word to cover unions between two women or two men. Unfortuantaely there is no “r” in “pacs” so you can’t just borrow the French word and add an “r”.

Edukator
    Free Member

“Edukators” are anti-capitalist activists, Project.

Squidlord
    Free Member

Edukator, there are so many things wrong with your post, I’m not sure where to start.

The meaning of many words has changed with time.

an agreement between two men, the father of the bride and the groom

so if my wife didn’t have a dad, does that mean our marriage should be annulled?

allthegear
    Free Member

Well, maybe the UK Goverment should exclude another randomly chosen group, say the Catholics, from obtaining a ‘proper’ marriage for a year. See how they like it?

I dont need an old guy in a fancy silk dress and funnyhat to tell me who I should and should not marry.

Rachel

chakaping
    Free Member

Which came first Edukator – the dictionary or the egg?

🙄

project
    Free Member

“Edukators” are anti-capitalist activists

so is that the same ones who use the capitalist funded internet to propogate their views, wghile sitting at home in their capitalist bought house as opposed to a rented one, using capitalist supplied electric and gas, and eating food from the numerous capitalist supermarkets, all the above are there to sell a product or service, and make a profit.

Anti cpaitalism doesnt work, it just provides work for the printers, and t shirt makers.

Edukator
    Free Member

The very same ones, Project, though this Edukator doesn’t use capititalist supplied gas and is a capitalist electricity supplier, and isn’t even anti-capitalist. But is against the misuse of the word “marriage”.

What do you want, Rachel? A contract and ceremony to go with it that gives homosexuals the same rights (including adoption) as marriage gives heterosexuals. If so I suggest you dream up a name for it then start campaigning and I will support you.

allthegear
    Free Member

No – I just want to be able to get married to the person I’m in love with, that’s all – just like anyone else

EDIT – wait – that reads like I’m actually in love with someone – I’m not.

Rachel

Northwind

Why is the dictionary definition of marriage between a man and a woman? Because currently, that’s what it means. Once the change is made, the dictionary definition will change also.

Dictionaries don’t define what words mean; they record what words mean.

Of course, this is a side argument; the real question is why in the name of thundering **** would anyone think that dictionary definitions are a good reason to impede progress.

miketually
    Free Member

As a catholic priest he finds the idea of same-sex relations not involving a priest and an alter boy abhorrent.

Edukator
    Free Member

Dictionaries don’t define what words mean; they record what words mean.

Exactly, marriage means a union between a man and a woman.

Leaving the dictionary definition aside what do people understand by “marriage”? For some, extending the scope of the meaning devalues the word and even the institution. Language is very refined and allows lots of subtle differences in meaning. Use the same word for everything and language loses its precision. Homosexual language is full of specific vocabulary, a new word is needed (unless homosexuals already have one I’m unaware of).

RustySpanner

Edukator – Member

No.
    Precisely because it annoys people like you.

Oh, and I don’t think gay people want something similar to marriage, they want something exactly the same as marriage.
    In fact, let’s call it ‘marriage’.

And it’s not just gay people who are in favour.

Language evolves – get used to it.

Edukator
    Free Member

I’m not even a little bit annoyed. The annoyed people seem to be those complaining about the cardinals words. What do you expect him to say, have you read the Bible?

Northwind

Edukator – Member

Exactly, marriage means a union between a man and a woman.

Hey, cool, an echo- “currently, that’s what it means. Once the change is made, the dictionary definition will change also.”

Just for a giggle, here’s the Collins dictionary definition of bicycle:

bicycle [?ba?s?k?l]
    n
    a vehicle with a tubular metal frame mounted on two spoked wheels, one behind the other. The rider sits on a saddle, propels the vehicle by means of pedals that drive the rear wheel through a chain, and steers with handlebars on the front wheel Often shortened to cycle (informal) bike

Carbon fibre? Not a bicycle. Belt drive? Not a bicycle. Sorry, you’ll have to invent a new word for those things.

RustySpanner

What do you expect him to say, have you read the Bible?

Yes.

It’s rubbish.
    I don’t want to spoil it but they nail him to a tree in the end.

Oh come on, there’s loads nonsense in the Bible that people are supposed to do, but everyone ignores.
    Selectively quoting the bits about homosexuality is just an excuse
    for homophobes to parade another aspect of their inadequacy.
    As you well know.

clubber
    Free Member

actually that’s a very poor reason IMO rusty.

For me it’s simple. I married my wife and for me it’s as simple as it being a legal partnership between two people who want to spend their lives together. Gay people can’t currently do the same. That’s not fair or equal and therefore for me, wrong.

Drac

. Use the same word for everything and language loses its precision

Really? Like using the word gay for different meanings, should we invent another word now for that now too?

Your post is one of the most laughable posts I’ve seen on here.

emsz
    Free Member

First of I’m just a girl, don’t really do the label thing.

Saying I can’t get married because of a french dictionary says so is pathetic

clubber
    Free Member

John and Mark are married.
    Jack and Chloe are married.
    Emma and Sarah are married.

I fail to see any lack of precision.

I imagine that the church isn’t keen on men/women civil ceremonies being called marriages either.

RustySpanner

clubber – Member

actually that’s a very poor reason IMO rusty.

For me it’s simple. I married my wife and for me it’s as simple as it being a legal partnership between two people who want to spend their lives together. Gay people can’t currently do the same. That’s not fair or equal and therefore for me, wrong.

I agree clubber.

Just enjoy the fact that it will annoy Edukator and treat it as a bonus. 🙂

sc-xc

I don’t think that it really annoys Edukator….I just think it’s how he/she gets their kicks on a Sunday night.

Edukator
    Free Member

Now were I to start insulting Islam people would be prepared to murder me for it. In fact not believing is good enough reason to murder me if your read the Koran. We might live in the 21C but some people and institutions reamin very attached to biblical values including a constitutional monarchy on an island in NW Europe called the United Kingdom. The Queen is head of church and state. The Bible is still the basis for the rules of the society you live in, Rusty. It might be an excuse for homophobes but it is a reason for believers (I’m agnositc BTW).

I have respect for both believers and homosexuals, the only way I can reconcile that is to ask homosexuals to invent a name for their union that does not offend believers.

crikey
    Free Member

I have respect for both believers and homosexuals, the only way I can reconcile that is to ask homosexuals to invent a name for their union that does not offend believers.

What concern is it of yours?

Are you going to extend your interest in nomenclature to other areas of life?

sc-xc

Cripes.

RustySpanner

The Bible is still the basis for the rules of the society you live in, Rusty. It might be an excuse for homophobes but it is a reason for believers (I’m agnositc BTW).

Rubbish.
    Show me a Christian who believes and obeys all the rules and pronouncements laid down in the Bible.
    Go on, just one.

People pick and choose sections of any religious text to support their own prejudice and to fit in with their chosen peer group.

Anyway, I dislike your use of the word ‘believer’.
    Can’t religious types pick another word which doesn’t denegrate the memory of Davy?
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfuBREMXxts[/video]

Edukator
    Free Member

I will restate that I am in favour of a legal partnership that gives Homosexuals the same rights as marriage gives heterosexuals.

That’s why everyone is here is it not, sc-xc? Inspector Barnaby (Midsommer Murders) has now finished and my family has come back to life so I’ll log off now and rejoin the real world.

Some of you have proved yourselves more intolerant and less open to the views of others than the Cardinal himself though, I thought you would.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 219 total)

The topic ‘attention seeker needs more publicity….’ is closed to new replies.