Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Attaching a big bit of slate to a work surface…
  • lister

We’ve got a big (4foot long, 3 inch thick) bit of slate that we want to place on the dividing counter between our kitchen and dining room.
    The counter is solid and will take the weight but I’d like to make sure that the slate won’t move.
    Also the underside of the slate isn’t flat so I need to make it level and not rock.
    Some folk I speak to talk of mortar/cement, some of something like no more nails and some want me to drill in and attach some sort of bracket to keep it safe and stop wobbling.

What would you, yes YOU, do? And why?

Thanks!

Bear
    Free Member

tile adhesive suitable for slate.

you can level it and it should stick to the assumed wooden counter.

Stoner
    Free Member

depends on the range of depth in the underside. Upto say 10mm Id go with gripfill, more than that I guess mortar would do.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’d use Sika. 🙂

climbingkev
    Free Member

If its going onto wood, put a load of screws into the wood, slate on top and tweak (turn) the screws until a level surface is achieved. Apply morter or tile adhesive with a grooved trowel (to create ‘suction’). Fix slate on top. The screws ensure its level and the adhesive doesn’t just squish out. My similar fixes are solid and an uneven underside means a better purchase than a smooth underside.

Hope that helps!?

lister

Cool, cheers folks…I like your thinking Kev, but the weight and size of the thing might make the screw thing a hassle…I’ll have to have a proper look and measure of the underside to see what the differences are.

jonba
    Free Member

I’d get some on in. IF that wan’t an option then a mortar/grout. Surely you just need to create something to let you level it out and support it.

By the sounds of it it isn’t going to move. The tiles in my utility room are grouted, but see the comment above as I didn’t do it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Attaching a big bit of slate to a work surface…’ is closed to new replies.