Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Atera Strada bike rack
  • stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Anyone use the above rack ??
    i`m looking at replacing my old thule with a new 3 bike rack and like the look of the strada .
    any opinions ??

forge197
    Free Member

make sure the arm arrangement is compatible with your bikes, I returned mine as it didn't work with the frames I had as the arms go through rather then over the bikes.

I replaced it with a thule.

MidLifeCyclist
    Free Member

Superb – see – http://www.chwhite.btinternet.co.uk/html/atera_strada.html

Its light – very easy to fit.

When not in use (when you've taken the bikes off to go riding) small enough to fit into the boot (of my car anyway).

It doesn't just tilt it arches back on "runners" – see website – so that even massive rear doors don't "foul".

Has all lights – inc fog and reverse (needs correct wiring – 13 pin IIRC)

Secure – each bike locked on individually. I also lash all bikes together with a high security chain lock.

Only downside is getting used to seeing it move about quite a lot whilst on the move. However I haven't ever had a similar rack to compare to. I had a Thule "backpack" previously and that didn't move at all.

It's loads of money but if it's in your price range you'll not be disappointed.

MidLifeCyclist
    Free Member

forge197 – Member

make sure the arm arrangement is compatible with your bikes, I returned mine as it didn't work with the frames I had as the arms go through rather then over the bikes.

I replaced it with a thule.

Agreed – The arms can go through bikes 2 and 3. When first fitting the bikes on it takes quite a lot of time arranging them so they fit. ie which way round each bike goes, where the pedals should be, how far left or right each bike should sit, how the arms are positioned etc

I even moved the arms into a different order on the carrier frame (meant dismantling it). But once done, loading bikes is very quick.

However as forge197 double check just in case you have bikes that may prove awkward.

Cheers

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Only downside is getting used to seeing it move about quite a lot whilst on the move. However I haven't ever had a similar rack to compare to. I had a Thule "backpack" previously and that didn't move at all

Just a bit concerned about it moving about !
    I could just about move my old thule on the towball and that bothered me !!
    I want something solid on the ball

MidLifeCyclist
    Free Member

It's absolutely solid on the ball.

The movement is just the flex of the carrier itself. All ball mounted carriers flex but I've no idea whether the strada does more than others (1st ball mounted carrier owned).

(My previous Thule "backpack" was fixed to the rear door in 4 places so just didn't move at all.)

I've used mine fully laden on some very rough roads over long distances (south of France) and it's been excellent.

Cheers

forge197
    Free Member

I use a Thule Euroclassic G5 909 it's faff free and the bikes are held rock solid.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Atera Strada bike rack’ is closed to new replies.