Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Atera Giro AF bike rack
  • Baldysquirt

I've just bought two of these from roofbox.co.uk after a long chat discussing the relative merits of this and the Thule proride with the woman on the phone. I fitted them last night and only just managed to squeeze my small prophet into the clamp, and then the front wheel looked precariously close to the front edge of the wheel gutter. Once on, it seemed rock solid, and was then easy enough to get out. I had different issues with my GF's 13" rockhopper. It went on really easily and was again solid, but I really struggled to get it free from the clamp and wheel supports when getting it off again. I'm beginning to think I should have gone Thule.

Are there any owners on here? Do they fit a decent range of (most) bikes and do the get easier to use?

DickBarton

Looks like a very similar design to the Thule so I doubt you'd not have similar issues with that.

Is down to lack of practice? If that was your first and only attempt, it might be expecting too much to get it all sorted bang on first time (admittedly it's not a seriously technical thing, but faffinf about with stuff above your head does tend to make simple things a touch harder)…give it a few goes with each bike until you learn how to do it on both then see if it has changed your view…

Albanach
    Free Member

I have got two of these racks and have had no trouble in fitting any bikes to be honest.

I know you can shift the gutter back and forth so you can have an even amount of gutter for the fornt and rear tyres. As stated above I have had no probs with clamping my XL Heckler & Hand Job as well as the skinnier tubes on my old steel touring bike and the wife's small On-One. Make sure you are twisting the clamp prior to pulling it down (I think there are arrows which line up) and also when setting the clamp make sure the clamp pops up into position rather than you forcing it up to meet the down tube. Other than that I can't think of anything else.

stumpy01

Yeah, I've got two of these and they're OK although I have had some issues.

Does the bit on the back of the lock that fixes the rack to the bars have some ground edges on it? The first one I bought didn't have and if the rack moved ever so slightly when it was fitted, then the square edges of the locking part would get stuck against the lugs that poke down in the hole it passes through (hard to visualise but look at the parts & you'll understand).
    You'd have to whack it back into a more central position with a hammer before it would release.

Once set-up and I had used mine a few times they were no bother. You need to release the wheels chocks and move them inboard. Then mount the bike into the clamp correctly & then set-up the wheel chocks. Once you have done this once for each bike then mounting them should be fairly easy to do again & you won't need to do the chocks each time. It does take a bit of forethought & knack though.

The other problem I had with mine were that sometimes the locking part of the clamp wouldn't lock. So you'd put your bike in, twist the grip & let the clamp spring up. Lock it & take the key out, then give it a pull to check it was tight and it would come undone – even in the locked position.
    This now seems to happen very infrequently with the carrier set-up for my bike, but the carrier for my partners bike we had to send back as it did it pretty much all the time. The first time was in a rainy car park after a soaking wet ride & I spent about 20 mins trying to get it to lock. Then when it did lock, I stopped about every 2 miles to check it was still locked.
    I would recommend getting a bungee cord for each carrier just in case you have the same issue. At least then you can clamp it up & then hold it tight with a wrapped around bungee. I use these now as a back up anyway.

I got mine from roofbox.co.uk & the lady I dealt with exchanged the faulty one with no qualms and sent the new one out within days so at least you shouldn't have any issues if there are problems.
    Just keep the receipts.

Baldysquirt

Thanks guys for the tips.

Albanach, can you move the gutter in relation to the rack? It gives quite clear dimensions as to where it should be set on the rack.

Baldysquirt

I've just spoken to the shop. They've reviewed a photo I sent them and are happy that it's sound and safe. They also explained that they have a 90 day roof rack exchange policy, so if after a bit of use, I still don't get on with it, I can exchange it for the Thule equivilant. Good that.

Albanach
    Free Member

I am able to move the gutter whilst clamped into the rack but maybe this is because the screw which attaches the roof rack to the bike rack is a wee bit loose.

stumpy01

I think the instructions say that the position that the clamp mounts to has to be a certain distance from the front, but wasn't aware of the chocks being limited to where they could go. Perhaps if you put them right at the ends, but you'd have to have a pretty big bike for that to be the case.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Atera Giro AF bike rack’ is closed to new replies.