Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • At what point, weatherwise, do you abandon your planned ride?
  • passtherizla
    Free Member

last night a hard day at work followed by being really hungry and a small amount of rain was enough to put me off a planned ride last night…

footflaps

Never…

Ben, ‘sinking’, on… by davidlomax, on Flickr

richmtb

Depends.

If I’m actually at the trailhead then it would need to be some pretty spectacularly bad weather to stop me going out. Horizontal blizzard or rain that has me thinking about building an ark.

If I’m just about to head out from home then any reasonably grotty day will normally put me off.

FuzzyWuzzy

I’ve cancelled mine and it’s only 5c and drizzle here :p

mcmoonter
    Free Member

The biggest deterrent to going for a ride in snow is the possibility of having to drive to get to a start point. Local rides in snow (or frozen lochs) though are always fun.

Alex

Nice:

Malverns Feb 2009 by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Not Nice

Malvern Ride – Jan 17 by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

We seemed to do our Sunday 7:30am rides a couple of years in the snow and ice for weeks. Remember a particular chilly -12 degree start. Thank God for DHB thermal biblongs.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Well, yes it was a bit drafty on top of Pendle last night but did we die ? – no.
    Did we enjoy a cracking cheeky descent in the lee of the hill – yes we did.
    Shame on all who cried off last night.

Junkyard
    Free Member

it was blustery low down but not hugely windy played around in the woods but nowhere near bad enough to call foul.
    DONK did go up Winter Hill and described it as blustery but we played in the woods mainly and did Wilderswood but did not top out on any hills

Is pendle hill worth a trip out and from what side do you do it?
    Any chance of a guided tour Mr Thump?

derekrides
    Free Member

When it’s too hot and dry, like it still is down here in the tropical sythe..

Or when there’s a risk it’s so windy we get knocked off by coconuts falling from the Palms..

It did get a bit warm Friday night, I had to stop and shed a layer ran out of water, (it’s being rationed down here now).

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Junkyard,
    Pendle is only a short route but definately worth an outing.
    Ride from Barley. Bit of road then a brutal climb up the main path from Pendle House

The singletrack descent from the trig down Ogden Clough requires a bit of navigation/knowledge but it is the bit that makes it worthwhile.

Boggies southern contingent do it a few times a year as a Wednesday night ride. You wouldn’t want to fight off the red-socks during daylight. Keep an eye on the rides list

stuey
    Free Member

When a spirit from your past appears through the white out and silently indicates the safe route off the mountain.

< WhOoooo goose bumps – and no I don’t believe in ghost>

Junkyard
    Free Member

cheers for info will check it out at some point

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘At what point, weatherwise, do you abandon your planned ride?’ is closed to new replies.