Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • At what point do you become an ex-mountain biker ?
  • flap_jack
    Free Member

Strava says I haven’t been out since the middle of August. I fear I may have crossed a 6-month threshold.

Nick

I think you only have to post on here once a month to qualify, no actual bike riding required.

tinybits
    Free Member

My last ride mtb ride was June last year. Hoping to be back in may this year. I’m still not an ex mountain biker!

Admittedly, ive had 3 back ops, but it’s still been a long while!

tonyg2003

When you don’t even intend to get back on a bike again?

wiggles
    Free Member

When there are no muddy clothes hidden somewhere in your house,

winston
    Free Member

First time on a mtb for 18 months at the weekend though I have ridden road in the meantime but not enough so that the south downs nearly crippled me.

I don’t think the feeling of freedom the trails give ever leaves you

househusband

I think you only have to post on here once a month to qualify, no actual bike riding required.

I think you only have to post on here once a month to qualify, no actual MOUNTAIN bike riding required.

ross980
    Free Member

When you no longer have a mountain bike. My road bike hasn’t been ridden since August and my MTB even earlier than that due a combination of new baby and moving house. Soon though. Probably.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

I’d not class myself as an EX mountain biker, I’m just taking a long break from riding mountain bikes, until I get a few other things in my life sorted out. Not ridden a bike since last July. Lots of reasons why.

Currently have no bike, and hardly any clothes or gear. I miss my weekends out biking in the hills, but this stuff is more important right now. I’ll be back, one day.

The irony being, my bank account has never looked healthier 😆

sbob
    Free Member

flap_jack – Member

Strava

You’re a roadie.
    HTH.

carlosg
    Free Member

When they put me in a box and burn me!

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Probably ride my MTB about 4 or 5 times a year at the mo. Got back into motorcycling and when I do cycle it’s on the road bike.

That said, I can’t ever imagine not owning an MTB.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

When you stop riding in the actual mountains and ride anywhere south of The lakes? 😀

flap_jack
    Free Member

Morzine and Chamonix are south of the lakes…having said that, didn’t particularly enjoy the passportes last year.

fasternotfatter
    Free Member

When your only bike is a fixie.

busydog
    Free Member

When I get too damn old to do it–hopefully never.
    TBH, Mrs busydog believes I passed that threshold some time back

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

When you don’t even intend to get back on a bike again?

this, surely?

About 2 years ago I bought my first road bike after 18 years of being exclusively a mountain biker rather than a cyclist. Massively bitten by the road bug, it fits in with my lifestyle (shift work so can squeeze a 2hr ride in before a late shift, I’d spend half that time driving to trails) and the mountain bike only comes out for weekends away to eg. Wales, or for big holidays (off to Cappadocia with Cycleactive in a couple of months). If/When the trails dry out and I get motivated to ride local trails I’ll ride off road more often, until then it’ll be lots of road miles and less, but quality mountain biking.

Got back into motorcycling and when I do cycle it’s on the road bike.

Passions wax and wane: I’d been a year-round motorcyclist for 20+ years, but my R1 hasn’t been touched for 6 months and having seen the forecast for this weekend the road bike was the first thing in my mind. As long as you have a riding mojo, doesnt matter what it is!

mjsmke

You become an ex mountain biker when you create a ‘what wheel size’ thread. Or any thread that debates wheel sizes.

caffeineoldbean
    Free Member

At the point you start describing your riding as enduro.

crazy-legs

I rode my MTB twice last year. Everything else was road bike or CX bike. I’d say that by that measure, I’m still a cyclist but I’m an ex-MTBer. A lot of my CX is off-road but I’m sure if I tried to ride the MTB again, my skills on it would be almost nonexistent!

br
    Free Member

When you went from been a ‘biker’ to owning a bike.

When you no longer have a mountain bike. My road bike hasn’t been ridden since August and my MTB even earlier than that due a combination of new baby and moving house. Soon though. Probably.

I can’t see how a new baby and moving house can stop you doing something for over 6 months? FWIW – Father to 3 and have moved house 8 times in the 25 years of owning houses.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I can’t see how a new baby and moving house can stop you doing something for over 6 months? FWIW – Father to 3 and have moved house 8 times in the 25 years of owning houses.

This. Unless of course a little one is Ill or the likes, then obviously it’s tough. Some of my mates stopped riding after their kids were born, I made a point of getting out once a week, just to keep it part of our routine, and never really missed a beat. That’s the key, keeping it going, otherwise when you go back to it, there’s a chance her indoors isn’t keen.

You stop becoming a mountain biker when you stop mountain biking. The presence of a bike in the shed is of no relevance.

mattk
    Free Member

I’ve recently bought a pompino. Thin end of the wedge?

boltonjon

I made a point of getting out once a week, just to keep it part of our routine, and never really missed a beat. That’s the key, keeping it going, otherwise when you go back to it, there’s a chance her indoors isn’t keen

As a bloke about to cohabit for the first time, this appears to be incredibly important and wise advice 🙂

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘At what point do you become an ex-mountain biker ?’ is closed to new replies.