Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Gastroenteritis and Cycling
  • astormatt
    Free Member

Sorry not a topic anybody wants to talk about, but having not been properly ill for years, i would like some advice.

I am booked on a 100 mile road sportive on Saturday and would like to know if it’s still worth arranging to go or knock ot on the head and see if somebody would like my ticket?

The wife had it start on Monday afternoon, she is still miserable but would say nearing the end of it.
    I woke up this morning and have been struggling with tiredness and aching all day, not had the squirts or sickness (yet) but have been in bed on and off for hours.

Is it too close to the event or is it worth persevering?
    I wouldn’t want to give to to anybody i come across either.

jekkyl

It’s only Wednesday, see how you feel on friday but it’s not looking good. Generally when I’ve had it recently I’ve needed a full day to recover after the final episode (out of one end or the other) if you get me.

daern
    Free Member

Honestly, I’d just decide on the day, but a couple of pieces of advice from someone that has been through this before:

1. Stay hydrated. This is hugely important! For every litre you flush out of the bilges, you need to be drinking a litre to replace it. When things get heavy, you’ll find it hard, but trust me – it’s a lot better than how ill you’ll feel from being dehydrated!
    2. If losing a lot of fluid, make sure that your replenishment fluid includes salts – you can get special solutions from the supermarket to help you with this.
    3. If you decide to ride, carry Imodium Instants and don’t even be scared of taking a couple 30 mins before the start if you’re worried. They should easily last you the length of the ride and will give you peace of mind without causing any harm
    4. Carry a small pack of tissues. If the worst comes to the worst, you can always jump a wall 🙂

Otherwise, just steer clear of other riders as these things are typically passed on by touch and if you’re feeling really poorly on the day, just skip it – there will always be another one.

Hope you manage to make the line!

martinhutch

Unless you’re feeling a lot better by tomorrow and somehow avoid squittage, then I would be knocking it on the head. I would expect to have no energy for a good few days after the main, err, symptoms are gone, which would make a long ride a pretty miserable prospect.

scaredypants

If it was me I’d drop out if I still had the splats within 48hrs of the start (that’d mean if I developed anything pretty much from now onwards)

If you don’t often do 100m rides then it’ll be miserable if you’re not fully well. If you often do 100m rides then this one is no big deal to miss.

Painey
    Free Member

That doesn’t sound like gastroenteritis to me, just a minor bug. I’ve had it before (diagnosed) and I could barely get out of bed for days, the only reason I did was to visit the bathroom, very frequently. Honestly it was a struggle to get up the stairs and I lost a stone in less than 2 days. It took me a week before I felt better.

I’m sure whatever you’ve got isn’t fun so I would skip the ride. Even if you feel OK at the start your energy levels will not be normal and you could quickly fade.

maccruiskeen

I am booked on a 100 mile road sportive

I’m sure all those other participants will appreciate you sharing the love. – you’re supposed to try and minimise contact with others for a couple of days after the symptoms have passed.

astormatt
    Free Member

Thanks all, as i haven’t had to go rushing to the toilet, my thoughts were that it either hasn’t manifested itself into full blown gastroenteritis like the wife hss/had or i have got away with a lesser bug that has been suggested.

It’s not my first big mile ride this year and i have another sportive booked for November so it’s not a big deal if i don’t do it.

I would like to pass my entry to someone else if i don’t do it myself to save wasting the entry fee.

hainman
    Free Member

Flu Mibbe instead of Gastrointeritis
    I got diagnosed a few years back and couldn’t leave the house for days with fear of sharting
    Was eventually diagnosed with crohns/colitis and has the trotters for years and struggled daily
    100 mile is way more than I would EVER consider especially when you don’t eat properly so will probably do a lot of damage to yourself

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Gastroenteritis and Cycling’ is closed to new replies.