Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Astra Satellite – Analogue switch off.
  • plop_pants
    Free Member

Seems that the analogue signal will be switched off soon and all transmissions will be digital only. Can anyone recommend a good setup
    to replace my old analogue stuff? Is it a case of buying any old digital receiver and checking that the lnb is digital too? Don’t want to miss out on this summer’s cycling on Eurosport!

CountZero

Will you need a colour tv to go with it? 😈

plop_pants
    Free Member

^ 😀

AlexSimon

I’m not sure you can get Eurosport in English for free any more. Web player is £4 a month but is still a little flakey.

Sky is the only way you can get British Eurosport.

If you want to go that route, I would get a quad LNB, run 2 cables from it. Buy a cheap second hand Sky HD box off ebay, upgrade the HDD to 1TB and pay the Murdoch empire £18ish a month they want. For that you’ll get the Free HD channels like BBC/ITV/C4, etc, loads of crap channels you don’t want (and a few that are good) and still the best recording system available in the UK.

It’s a complete rip-off but there is only one other option afaik – a Virgin cable subscription that includes Eurosport for <£10 a month, but I think there are some catches. I’d need to research to know for sure.

AlexSimon

BTW – there will be some deal available if you’re a new subscriber, but you’ll be tied in for 12 months afaik.

At the end of the cycling season, ring to cancel (and go onto free-to-air only channels) and they’ll probably offer you a deal of some kind. Or just live without Eurosport until January and resubscribe.

plop_pants
    Free Member

Thanks Alex, but RM ain’t getting any of my money!
    I’ve already got a HDD recorder so don’t want to spend out again.

This explains what’s happening but doesn’t mention loosing English broadcast. http://klardigital.de/index_eng.php

Edukator
    Free Member

I can only get free Eurosport in German with a universal digi box.

AlexSimon

AFAIK you might have to subscribe to Eurosport Player and hook up your computer to your TV.
    I’d be fine with this apart from last year in a couple of big races, in the final kms, it dropped out frustratingly.

I’d love to know any different, because I’d love to avoid paying RM too!

jota180
    Free Member

The dish and LNB aren’t analogue specific so will work OK with digital – They may be a bit old now though

If you’ll be wanting to record anything whilst watching something else, you’ll need at least a dual LNB

orangina
    Free Member

I just changed mine from analog to digital. The LNB was digital already as Mr. Orangina replaced it a few months ago as it was broken, so I just had to get a new digi receiver et voila !! German TV on Astra 18.2 degrees restored! So yes, plop pants, it’s as you thought.

Apparently, if your dish is at least 80cm diameter, you can get Astra 29.2 too, but we’re not bothered.

Edukator, I am not getting German Eurosport, is that on 29.2 ? At least I can watch F1 live on RTl !

Jota, the LNB *is* digi-specific from the research I had done.

jota180
    Free Member

Jota, the LNB *is* digi-specific from the research I had done.

It’s not

As long as it’s not a very ancient one [without the frequency range] it’ll be fine

orangina
    Free Member

Jota, mine probably was the ancient one, I guess from 1999 or around there 😉 …

jota180
    Free Member

I’d change the LNB and dish anyway given the cost
    I remember when a good [for the time] LNB was a couple of hundred quid so today’s £10 jobs are a bargain and better performance to boot

Edukator
    Free Member

Astra 1 which is 19° Orangina. I’ve just checked, German Eurosport is working on the same frequency it has been on for years: 12.226 H 27500. Tennis at the moment.

orangina
    Free Member

Hm thanks Edukator, will check this out!

orangina
    Free Member

Edukator, I checked that, when i try this frequency, I get quality and level 0%, and it doesn’t matter which LNB setting I use. Thinking about it now, I never had Eurosport on analog either…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Astra Satellite – Analogue switch off.’ is closed to new replies.