Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Astonished and delighted by Hope
  • wynne
    Free Member

I know I’m by no means the first person to post up about a great service from Hope, but… last week I posted back two sets of their lights that had finally stopped working reliably after ten years of service. Well, today the two sets of lights arrived back, fully serviced with all new leads and a repaired charger. It’s just a mind-blowingly good service

cb

Sent my vision 2 back on Monday of last week – arrived back with new lead by Thursday. No charge at all.

postierich
    Free Member

,seems to be a theme here sent a set of lights back that someone gave me as they were not working last Friday came back today repaired 🙂 and for good measure a floating rotor had developed a rattle and that was replaced with a new one.
    Doubt I will have the same customer service when i send a pair of Endura shorts back that have worn really badly at the crotch 🙁

doncorleoni
    Free Member

I like hope a lot. However…. Spent far too much time fixing and sending off brakes etc for repair (even though free). My shimano slx just work…. Performance wise, as good as my hope 4 pots and require no maintenance. If they break, I could buy x3 sets for the price of my 4 pots

Hope stuff is great… The support is great….. But you pay for it at the outset

andyl
    Free Member

+1 for great CS.

If Hope are reading this thanks for sorting out my V4 caliper and I cheekily asked if they would mind sending me some 20mm front hub circlips as the shop lost the set they sent and they sent me a whole set of adapters with circlips!

There is a reason I have 3 sets of E4 brakes, 1 set of V4 brakes, 2 hope stems, 2 sets of hope hubs, several hope headsets and hope seat clamps on all my bikes 😳

slowoldgit
    Free Member

And they still support C2s. Which is why I have Hopes on the t*nd*m.

trail_rat
    Free Member

If they break, I could buy x3 sets for the price of my 4 pots

Ime 3 sets won’t be enough to cover the life of a hope brake

globalti
    Free Member

I’ve gone around the Hope factory twice and loved it. Having seen the trays and trays of spare parts lying around I can understand why it’s no hassle for them to pull something apart and do a quick refurb with new bits. At least all the parts are all home-made so there are very few sealed units from other suppliers that can’t be repaired. They’re a great company.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Ime 3 sets won’t be enough to cover the life of a hope brake

My first set of hope brakes (original minis, 2000/2001?) are still going strong. I rebuilt them about 8 or 9 years ago and upgraded the pistons IIRC. “Sold” them to a friend to get his lad back racing after his bike was stolen. As far as i know his youngest now has them on his training bike. So that’s 15 or 16 years, 7 or 8 seasons of racing (me) and another couple with someone else, and about 30 quids worth of parts.
    I usually find shimanos last 3 or 4 years with hard use before something unfixable crops up.

ransos
    Free Member

I usually find shimanos last 3 or 4 years with hard use before something unfixable crops up.

I find the same with Hope. Whilst they can be repaired, unlike shimano, they are 3 x the price.

Nice looking products, brilliant service, so-so reliability.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Unfixable on Hope?

Most of the stuff i’ve had you can still get parts for. If you need them.
    (some stuff is a bit susceptible to corrosion, but it’s easy to keep tabs on and stop it happening, it happens to shimano stuff too)

Or hope will rebuild it for you for not a huge amount.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i found shimanos lasted a seasons – sometimes 2 hard use racing and were scrap due to leaky seal at the pistons – unacceptable for me. While i admit if your just pootling about then they may do you just fine. The final straw was my XT lever failing mid race at strathpuffer – which was just a matter of itme based on previous experiance with them. At least with hopes you can do preventative maintainance by servicing and replacing seals – shimano you just have to accept they will die at some point.

mean while im running 5 sets of hopes between me and the wifes bikes and they all just continue to work year in year out.

reminds me i need to order pads for my race x2s.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

FWIW, hard use for me is (was) mostly 90 minute XCO events with three or four XCMs and maybe a stage race per year. Something like 6/12/24 hour events are going to accumulate far more damage.

Northwind

TBH with the cables on the lights it’s classic Hope- yes they’re very good at fixing them when they go wrong, which is great, but if the lights were made properly they’d have less failures. My £20 ebay light has better strain relief on the cables, and it’s been the same forever.It’s not really great customer service to sell an expensive part with a known flaw. But otoh, if they were more reliable, they’d generate less goodwill from fixing things…

adsh
    Free Member

I have to admit to being an immense Hope fanboi – ordering my 6th set of race x2s…. could save £100 by going shimano but I just love them sooo much.

whitestone
    Free Member

What we don’t know (and I wouldn’t expect Hope or any other manufacturer to say) is the actual rate of returns. It could be 0.1% or it could be 10% (unlikely).

I’ve a Vision 2, it’s about ten years old and has worked flawlessly for that time. I’ve used it on the bike and for fell running, about the only thing I haven’t used it for is picking the bike up. My wife also has a Vision 2 of even older vintage with the same level of reliability. She also has a more recent R4 which has been back to Hope as the circuit board was faulty.

Brakes – currently got Shimano XT on my hardtail, adequate for my needs.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

postierich – Member

Doubt I will have the same customer service when i send a pair of Endura shorts back that have worn really badly at the crotch

I had that and sent them back to Endura and they sent me a new pair, no quibble. Email them and see what they say.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Astonished and delighted by Hope’ is closed to new replies.