Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Asparagus – best way to cook?
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

For our Saturday night treat, me and mrs S are having French trimmed rack of lamb, dauphinoise potatoes and asparagus. Any tips for preparing and cooking the asparagus? It is Peruvian and thinner than a pencil. Fanks.

Taff
    Free Member

Fry on a dry griddle pan or drop into a boili water. Keep it simple I think

Junkyard
    Free Member

LBS should be able to help …for a fee 😉

damo2576
    Free Member

Fry on a dry griddle pan

This with a weight on top, another heavy pan etc

manitou
    Free Member

if its baby asparagus I saute it in a little butter ,season, and serve with a squeeze of lemon

Bunnyhop

I just pop them into boiling water for a couple of minutes.
    Eat with fingers dripping in butter.

Why not English Derek?

zippykona

Can I mention asparagus wee.

bobbyatwork
    Free Member

you just did…

derek_starship
    Free Member

Bunnyhop – English trimmed or English asparagus?

higgo
    Free Member

It is a crime to buy the imported stuff while English asparagus is in season.

Trim > Blanche for 2mins > ice cold water > drain > griddle pan with a bit of oil. Eat as is or with a choice of a scrunch of sea salt, a splash of balsamic vinegar or some parmesan shavings.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Might I recommend a George Foreman grill for the preparation of asparagus?

If the stalks are thin I just toss them in the best olive oil you can lay your hands one, maldon salt and pepper and George Foremanise them.

If the stalks are thick I trim an inch off the blunt end, steam them for a couple mins to give them a head’s start then George Foremanise them till they’re just lightly char-grilled looking either side.

‘Tis the prince of vegetables. One of the highlights of the culinary year for me when it’s in season.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

1. Set the oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Now simply take a spear of asparagus, wrap a slice of Prosciutto ham around it and lay each one on a baking tray, brushing them lightly with butter to ensure they do not stick.

2. Cook for 3-4 minutes until the asparagus is nicely roasted and the ham is crispy.

Nom Nom Nom

maccruiskeen

steam for 4 mins or so

or grate some parmesan over them and stick them under a fierce grill for a little while

good with a little bit of lemon or (less usually) orange

Spin
    Free Member

Any way you like but keep it BRIEF.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Another vote for dry griddle pan here.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

griddle pan, get a bit of colour on them. little bit of butter and some balsamic vinegar.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

It is a crime to buy the imported stuff while English asparagus is in season.

Damn right ! Cook it any way you like. It’ll taste like string compared to English Asparagus picked the same day/hour.

rOcKeTdOg

I.’ve just had some done on the BBQ! Picked about half a mile away, Lovely with game burgers 🙂

theotherjonv

My method is cutting about 2cm of the bottom, and then throwing both bits straight into the bin. I like most foods, and I really want to like asparagus particularly with so many ways to enjoy it. But for some reason, i can’t stand the stuff.

AJames
    Free Member

In morning my breakfast will be 2 eggs from the henhouse with asparagus that is currently happily growing in my garden instead of soldiers. Cut and 2 mins in steamer with butter…. Yummy..

Kevevs
    Free Member

that’s all great but it makes yer pee stink.

wallop

Always snap the stalk with your fingers, rather than chopping. It finds the natural break and you lose the woody part of the stalk.

hugor
    Free Member

Can’t believe nobody’s mentioned it.
    Preheated pan with sesame oil. Drop them in briefly and turn very frequently for 2 mins max. Oyster sauce mixed through just before serving. They should be firm, crispy and very green.

timidwheeler

Wrap in Bacon, then BBQ.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Used the dry, heavy griddle pan method. Couple of minutes each side, squeeze of lemon and a couple of twists* of black pepper. Beautiful. And the rack of lamb was amazing. Ta for your advice.

*SI unit of black pepper.

EDIT: my piss stinks.

supersaiyan
    Free Member

if cooked less than an hour after harvest, they’re much sweeter and you don’t get no stinky p1ss.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Asparagus – best way to cook?’ is closed to new replies.