Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Ashima hydraulic road calipers
  • bristolbiker
    Free Member

From road.cc, about halfway down…

http://road.cc/content/news/29680-updated-zyro-open-house-2011-%E2%80%93-new-kit-cateye-altura-z%C3%A9fal-and-more

Ashima have been developing a Road Hydraulic brake too. The hydraulics are built into a dedicated stem which attaches to the fork steerer with just one bolt – the one that goes through the headset top cap. It’s a clever design. As well as providing plenty of power, it could end up more aerodynamic than usual, although Ashima think it’s still at least a year away from market.

Work of genius?/challenge to road discs?/weighty solution looking for a problem? I can’t decide – integration with a dedicated stem tidies things up, but you are obviously limited to their lengths/bar clamp/stem clamp/colours/rise/design. Can’t say I have any issues with decent road cable calipers that these will solve…..

wwaswas

I has been done in the past with various adapters for mtb disk brakes – this one’s not too bad;

http://www.cxmagazine.com/drop-bar-hydraulic-disc-brakes-cable-pull-adapter-for-cyclocross-cannard

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Those are discs though…. these are calipers…..

thomthumb
    Free Member

hydraulic rim brakes? seems like half a job really.

i’ve had magura hs33s in the past and whilst good, i’d much rather have my braking surface separate from my rims.

wwaswas

ah, sorry should have followed link 😳

for most road riders would they really make a big enough difference over cable rim brakes?

bristolbiker
    Free Member

for most road riders would they really make a big enough difference over cable rim brakes?

Indeed – therefore I can’t see why they would bother making them… I guess I’m wondering if there is some massive advantage that I’m failing to appreciate to offset the weight/cost/complexity?

thomthumb
    Free Member

with maguras the advantage (over v brakes) is the feel – there is far less flexibility in the system which gives a solid feel at the lever, this means modulation is easier. the trade off is power, v brakes are slightly more powerful (someone will definitely challange that)

I really can’t see any advantage on a road bike.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Ashima hydraulic road calipers’ is closed to new replies.