Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Ash Patrol – We could help..
  • igrf
    Free Member

It seems the Forestry commission are worried about this Ash Tree fungus and have launched a mobile app as described by STW’s favourite news sheet the Grauniad.

Strikes me there are lots of us riding about and some of us could probably tell the difference between an Ash Tree and that stuff that gathers on the end of your fag.

Having said that, down here, they (Ash Trees) are bloody everywhere, like a weed, wind blown Ash is almost as common as Sycamore so I remain a tad sceptical as to the likelihood of the sort of devastation that hit Elms which were always fewer and further between imv.

Anyway what d’y’all think?

CountZero

Can’t hurt, I did one with Horse Chestnut trees, which are suffering infestations of a leaf miner moth larvae.

CountZero

Just signed up for the iPhone notification. I’m out and about in woods and such a lot, so I’m happy to help where I can.

scaredypants

My neighbour has a couple of trees I’d like to inject with the stuff, if anyone has any samples 👿

igrf
    Free Member

So is that it? Just the three of us?

Was it the Grauniad I wonder?

Would the Daily Wail put the case in a way that might arouse the STW massive?

Does the massive even know how to spot an Ash Tree?

nicko74

Strikes me there are lots of us riding about

Do you think there’s any chance they’ll shut down forests to riders to stop the spread? Or is it too far gone?

igrf
    Free Member

It’s airborne afaik, pretty serious in Denmark, they banned all imports of saplings. Quite why they felt the need to import them anyway I’ve no idea, Ash is by far the most prolific producer of saplings there must be twenty sprouting in my garden and the lane nearby.

I can’t imagine they’ll close down any trails.

CountZero

I’ve no idea why it was felt that we had to import saplings either, there’s millions of the bloody things growing wild all over the place.
    Although probably not for long…

maccruiskeen

Having said that, down here, they (Ash Trees) are bloody everywhere, like a weed, wind blown Ash is almost as common as Sycamore so I remain a tad sceptical as to the likelihood of the sort of devastation that hit Elms which were always fewer and further between imv.

Dense populations are ideal for the spread of disease, if it was a comparatively rare tree the fungus would struggle to spread, but I if ash is everywhere the the fungus can easily spread everywhere

igrf
    Free Member

Well at the moment I gather it’s most prevalent up the East Coast, lets hope it stays up there, can’t say Ash is my favourite tree, but there’s one in our Garden that has grown since we’ve been living here that I’d be sad to lose. I quite like trees, don’t ask me why, I don’t go round hugging them or anything, but places where there aren’t any always seem so much more desolate and unfriendly.

Anyway I’m downloading this app and will keep an eye open when I’m out riding which was the point of the thread even though I smell BS on behalf of the Forestry Commission which is suffering in the cuts and probably looking for reasons to maintain high executive salaries no doubt.

Lifer
    Free Member

Ashtag

Website has been updated with a map of logged reports.

Trekster

To late for me and Dalbeattie
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-20226831

maccruiskeen

with a map of logged reports.

pun-tastic 🙂

nedrapier

I quite like trees, don’t ask me why, I don’t go round hugging them or anything, but places where there aren’t any always seem so much more desolate and unfriendly.

me an’ all.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOHekLZD5i4[/video]

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Ash Patrol – We could help..’ is closed to new replies.