Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Asguard Owners.. Locks
  • rucknar
    Free Member

Hello,

Owners of their bike storage units, do you use the included locks to secure the shed?
    I’ve the half height metal shed that takes 3/4 bikes. The padlocks seem decent enough but there quite cheap on their website. Should i consider upgrading to something higher spec?

Also, do you use a ground anchor/chain within the unit?

HTTP404
    Free Member

Nope not upgraded their padlocks on mine.
    They look pretty good already.
    And Nope. No ground anchor. You could probably just lock the bikes together and that would be just as effective.

rucknar
    Free Member

Been a lot of theft in my area recently so i’m tempted to upgrade locks and ground it. The locks do look fairly decent i guess but it’s playing on my mind!

HTTP404
    Free Member

If they have the tools to get into an asguard – they will have the tools to cut through whatever you have tethered your bikes with to a ground anchor.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

The padlocks seem decent enough

Hmm, I thought they looked pretty pathetic. I imagine they would be very easy to pick and very easy to cut. But I haven’t got round to finding anything better that will fit the hasps.
    Part of the reason is that improving the locks is pointless if the box itself is not very secure and the hasps are pretty weak.

We spent £500 on Aasgard a few years ago but to be honest I’m very sceptical about the protection they actually offer. There is a frankly cringeworthy video online where some Oxbridge toff makes a pathetic effort to break into one with what looks like a 8 inch screwdriver. He makes no progress at all and then claims that the thing is really secure. You get the impression that someone with either a brain or a longer lever would get in in seconds.

I’ll have to find the vid.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

If they have the tools to get into an asguard – they will have the tools to cut through whatever you have tethered your bikes with to a ground anchor.

Very much disagree. I think all you need to get into one is a decent lever. It’d be much like opening a tin can.
    A decent chain like a Pragmasis on the other hand I would have no chance of breaking.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

not very convincing break in attempt

Ok, so he does have something more than a 8″ screwdriver, but he really doesn’t convince me it’s that secure.

rOcKeTdOg

i dunno, no opportunist thief is gonna stand there and try that, someone targeting the bikes in there because they know what is in there would do a better job but they’d make hell of a racket so as long as the store is near the house i reckon it’s pretty effective

it says three bikes, is that realistic?

DT78
    Free Member

I’m pretty pleased with mine. Built the other day, it makes enough noise just opening it and getting the bikes in and out. It would wake the neighbourhood trying to cut it open… Locks seem pretty good too, cutting would be difficult with the clasps in place. Not sure about lock picking though

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I’ve got 3 bikes in mine secured to the ground anchor with a 16mm Almax chain & Squire lock, I sleep well at night.

steveoath
    Free Member

If you’re talking about the annexe bike shed I’ve had 4 bikes in it (albeit with handlebars rotated). Currently looking to fit a ground anchor but I wouldn’t see it as necessary.

This looks no’ bad.

HTTP404
    Free Member

I think somebody posted on here the trouble they went to break into one after their keys went awol. Its not an easy target but certainly do-able with the right amount of time and tools. As long as you locate it near to or next to your house in a well lit area but not visible to the open street – you’ll be OK.

Best thing is to buy an expensive car and park it on the driveway. Thieves will kick down your doors for the keys rather than steal your bikes.

goyawave
    Free Member

I have an Asgaard and have upgraded the locks. Google the standard lock supplied and you’ll see a few ‘lock technicians’ happy to demonstrate how easy they are to pick. Also, I have found ‘keyed alike’ locks are not so unique! I upgraded to the Abus 20/70 locks.

My Asgaard has been targeted several times and they have almost got into it. A quick search for Asgaard on this forum will reveal at least one other that was not so lucky! I would highly recommend installing a ground anchor so that you have more than one layer of security to increase the time it takes to get to your pride and joy, and make the area more conspicuous.

I have several layers of security when you include the night light… oh and it’s linked to my house alarm. I also have a gravel driveway!

goyawave
    Free Member

I have also had my front door kicked in while we were in. I’m sure the previous advice was tongue in cheek but I would not encourage this as a diversionary tactic.. It was not a pleasant experience!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Asguard Owners.. Locks’ is closed to new replies.