Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Asgard Bike Sheds
  • gribble
    Free Member

Am thinking of getting one of the above. We live in a house with no garage, can’t afford/don’t want to move at the moment, but need to replace the knackered motorbike cover that the bikes currently sit under.

We have 4 bikes (full suss with 710mm bars, hybrid and 2 hardtails. The below thread asked the same question, but does anyone who owns one have any update or anything else to add to the below? It would probably be sitting on a wooden deck, so hope condensation would not be an issue.

Presvious Thread Asgard

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

I’ve had one 3 years and think it’s great, I’ve never had any of the condensation issues or rust highlighted in that thread.
    In terms of space, I have a Trek Remedy, Genesis hardtail and 2x road bikes in it comfortably.

dja25
    Free Member

Review over on roadcc might be worth a read gribble http://road.cc/content/review/108631-asgard-addition-bike-shed. Don’t reckon you’ll get four bikes in that one they tested though

DT78
    Free Member

Had mine a year. Great bit of kit. Mine is on a gravel / slab base. No need to ground anchor the thing isn’t going anywhere, unless they drive a jcb through next doors garden to lift it. Fits 4 bikes no problem. I have 2 with wide bars and I’ve turned one (on the bike I don’t use much) parallel to top tube to make life easier. My large 29er fits but is a little more of a pain.

I’ve also got a couple of massive chains in there, some rotor alarms and a motion sensor alarm….more secure than keeping the bikes inside tbh. Get a flood light and noisey gravel.

No rust, water ingress or condensation on mine and it’s been pretty trying conditions.

danti

Had the 4 bike one now for 18 months, no issues with rust (yet!), I try and wipe excess moisture off bikes before putting them away. Currently using it with 3 bikes with 700 ish bars and getting a 4th in with bars that wide would be a bit more of a challenge but they’re great things. Just wipe up any damp patches on the floor once a week and sorted..

gribble
    Free Member

Thanks for the input all. I will read the Road CC article when I have a pregnant pause with work.

I think three of the four bikes have wide bars (690, 685 and 710 from memory). Hybrid has skimpy little things, but at the moment all get wedged in to the bike cover in a sort of squashed in arrangement.

I also have a very heavy gauge chain and lock, which I would try and use at the same time. I would not secure it to the deck, as again I am of the opinion that it would be tough to shift.

gribble
    Free Member

Road CC article was helpful. Thank you dja.

I have measured up and it seems possible that the 4 bikes we have will fit, although I was thinking I could simply remove a wheel and turn the bars of my hard tail to make it all easier to fit in (thus reducing some handlebar width). Does anyone else do this to get all their bikes to fit?

Another bonus seems the ability to store helmets and other associated clobber on shelving, which can be installed at each end of the shed. Does anyone use their shed to store helmets etc – just had the condensation issue in the back of my mind, where I live is very wet.

DT78
    Free Member

I have 2 bikes with 750 bars. I keep the wheels on but on one bike loosened the stem and twisted the bars parallel. If you top / tail the bikes you should be fine, there is space to offset the bikes forward and back if that makes sense (probably getting to the limit if you have slack XL 29ers). One of my bikes is a roadie so that probably makes life easier.

I don’t keep helmets or clothing in there as I get kitted up indoors, I have all my cleaning stuff, spare tubes, pump, saddle bags, workstand and other stuff on the shelves in carboard boxes and they are dry. I really don’t think you’ll have a problem with condensation. The shelves are definitely worth getting you can get a lot on them, the hooks less so as the bikes are in the way.

I also got the chipboard base a bit after I bought the shed, you don’t need it but it makes the shed a lot quieter. You could always make your own or bung in old carpet.

I have read on a forum somewhere about a chap who installed power and a small heater to keep his kit perfect. A little overboard if you ask me!

ChrisL

I have a Gladiator 7×7, which is a big shed rather than a bike store. It easily fits 4 bikes and various garden things with plenty of space to spare. It sits on a concrete base and I’ve had no issues with condensation. I think that some of the comments in that previous thread were about regular metal sheds, not Asgard ones which seem to have more in common with tanks than regular corrugated metal sheds.

Asgard expect their sheds to be erected on a concrete base or on slabs rather than on decking. From their web site:

Before installation can take place a level, firm surface will be required. (e.g. concrete, tarmac, patio 50mm/2″ thick) before installation.
    The base must be solid, completely flat and secure.

DT78
    Free Member

Mine is on gravel with slabs laid on top and then levelled (didn’t even need to use sand so can take them with me to the next house)

The key is to get it level otherwise it can affect the fit of the doors or the roof. The shed is supplied with a good number of hard plastic wedges which you can use to put under the corners to get perfect.

Obviously a concrete base would be better if you have the time / money

I would have thought it would be okay on decking though it might be they are concerned about the weight of the shed?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I get the fact of what they do, but doesnt it shout to the oppertunist theif walking through all the gardens that you have some quite expensive bikes that you would rather they didnt get?

DT78
    Free Member

opportunist thief would need to be sporting a hefty angle grinder and somehow muffle the sound

And once he did get through he would then have chains and alarms to deal with.

And if he gets through that lot I’m insured.

Plus, mines hidden from sight anyways

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

Even if he got through all the obstacles me.tioned above he would then have to defeat Thor who, as we know, defends Asgard.

gribble
    Free Member

Thanks all. I am assuming the deck is strong enough – we don’t have anywhere else it can go, the garden is tiny and the deck takes up a good part.

It is a compromise, but our garden is quite well hidden and I am not sure there is a better option (for me). A normal shed would not fit (due to height issues), so a low bike shed is probably the best for me.

Thor may be a good option for bike defense – but perhaps a better option would be Chuck Norris hiding inside with an uzi?Chuck giving Bristol bike thieves the good news

somouk
    Free Member

I might bolt one to a concrete base and then put a tatty wooden shed around it so it doesn’t attract as much attention.

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

I don’t see the 2 options as mutually exclusive. A double act defence.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Asgard Bike Sheds’ is closed to new replies.