• This topic has 23 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by gonzy.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Asgard Bike Shed
  • gonzy
    Free Member

thinking of getting one of these to store my bikes. wife’s had enough of them taking up space in the house.
    does anyone own one?
    how secure are they?
    are there any other brands i should consider?
    it needs to be able to store at least 3 bikes and a range of other stuff such as tools etc.

ton

yes, very, no.

alexpalacefan

Yes.
    Not been tested, but seems solid enough.
    They’re the market leader for a reason.

APF

gonzy
    Free Member

thanks just what i wanted to hear.
    am i better off buying directly from Asgard themselves or any other retailer who sells them?
    also who did you get to build/install the shed?

mcnultycop

I think mine is great, the 4 x 29er one fits two road bikes, a fatty and a FS. Not sure it would fit 4 x 29ers with wide bars, but suits me down to the ground.

I got Asgard to build it, but only because I was working away and they did the concrete drilling and my drill wouldn’t manage it. Reckon it’s not too hard a job with the tools though.

gonzy
    Free Member

I got Asgard to build it, but only because I was working away and they did the concrete drilling and my drill wouldn’t manage it. Reckon it’s not too hard a job with the tools though.

was the build service inclusive of the price of the shed or extra?

stevextc
    Free Member

it needs to be able to store at least 3 bikes and a range of other stuff such as tools etc.

Do you have room for a shed ???
    I thought about these but in the end put a proper shed in the back garden.
    Room for spares bin, bike stand, tools etc. etc. and still room to work on a bike

Mark
    mcnultycop

The build service was extra, apparently (I wasn’t there) they were really quick.

mcnultycop

In fact I have the one STW reviewed ^^^^

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Gonzo,
    I see you’re based in Manchester, do you want to buy my Asgard shed? It’s in perfect condition, only ever been used inside. It’s this one Asgard 4
    I can deliver it and help assemble if you need.

In terms of your query, the one I bought for work was “assembled by Asgard” (though they outsource it to the deliver company) and they did a shit job.
    I phoned Asgard and they sent their employee round and he sorted it out no problem. (They are easy to erect yourself, the delivery drivers were just Tumschies)

(I’m away till Monday)

gonzy
    Free Member

Do you have room for a shed ???

we have 2 wooden sheds. one small and one large. the small one is falling apart and the large one will probably last another year before that needs replacing…the large one did store bikes until thieves broke into it.
    wife wants to get rid of both to create space in the garden. we’ll be having a major clearout of both sheds so it might be worth getting one of the smaller sheds like this one
    http://www.asgardsss.co.uk/bike-cycle-storage/insurance-approved-metal-bike-shed
    but i’d still need to buy a small shed for all the rest of the stuff we decide to keep from the outgoing sheds
    so i’m thinking something like this would be better
    http://www.asgardsss.co.uk/bike-cycle-storage/cycle-maintenance-shed

gonzy
    Free Member

Gonzo,
    I see you’re based in Manchester, do you want to buy my Asgard shed? It’s in perfect condition, only ever been used inside. It’s this one Asgard 4
    I can deliver it and help assemble if you need.

i may be interested in this. my email is in profile

tmb467
    Free Member

I have the 3 bike “approved” one and a neighbour has the non-proved version of mine (he doesn’t ride bikes but liked the shed)

It fits my big bike (27.5) but I need to turn bars to get it in. Once in it also stores my CX bike and a mobi washer n some ikea bags of stuff cos I’ve not got round to sorting shelves. Once I get my 29ht up n running I can see space being limited and it will probably require shelves and to take the front wheel off the 29er

On a security front – it’s not been tested (I think) but it seems pretty good. All hinges/panel sides / lock have a back plate to stop anything being prised in. I did all the construction myself and it was pretty straight forward apart from the doors which took two people to do. Neighbour built his himself also

smogmonster

Yep, i have the 3 bike approved version also, road bikes go in easy, my Fuel Ex with its 650+ tyres is a much tighter squeeze, but then it has an enormous wheelbase. It seems VERY secure, i have it inside my garage which is basically a bike shop/pain palace. Anyone trying to break into it would make an absolute racket as even the slightest flex of the metal sides makes a loud noise…its designed that way. The lock seems very sturdy and i cant imagine any way of getting other than an angle grinder. Even the hinges are internal so there is no way to get at them. It took me about an hour to put together by myself, a doddle really – im a proper numpty at anything like that. I also got i think 15% off as i use Yellow Jersey cycle insurance to cover them. I think the code was Yellow 15 or similar.

DT78
    Free Member

Not heard of any successful breakins of these. As above it would need an angle grinder and would be very noisy.

I also have alarmed padlocks on the inside roof which go off if moved around. Brand is target. Just a bit more noise. Have one hasp too so if someone tests the lid it’ll go.

Didn’t bother screwing to concrete as it weighs a ton….

I just moved so Have built it twice. Easy enough give yourself an hour and have an electric screwdriver. Hardest part if you are on your own is lining up the lid as it’s heavy and awkward for one person to lift. It is doable though

mick_r

I use one of their single door garden sheds as somewhere relatively fireproof for brazing.

In terms of construction, door lock, steel thickness etc I couldn’t see much difference between it and the bike ones (but with an offer at the time it was significantly cheaper).

Assembly was very easy – no skills required worth paying for (apart from convenience)

gribble
    Free Member

I have assembled mine twice, as I moved house. One piece of advice is get an electric screwdriver.

They are really solid, mine has a 26in FS and at the old house had two other bikes, one large hardtail and my wife’s medium hardtail. Now it is looking after my DIY tools as well, but needs tidying. I did contemplate getting rid of it when we moved, as we now have a garage, but they feel much more secure than a garage and although it can be a pain to get bikes out when it is clogged up with loads of bikes, they are well designed. I got the shelving and hook pack which helps make better use of the space.

Edit: I have the four bike version.

firestarter
    Free Member

Thegeneralist if gonzo isn’t interested I possibly might be subject to measuring and having a think I’m in Leeds.

I spoke to my insurance company and he suggested that although they would be covered they paint a target on your back advertising you have a bike in there, which I hadn’t thought of.

markoc1984

I think mine is great, all my friends call it the fallout shelter and say they are going to come live in it if North Korea kicks off as it’s so secure.

aikon
    Free Member

I got one of the 6 bike ones, ply lined it to keep the condensation down and reduce the risk of damaging it with tools etc from the inside. Got a builder to put a proper concrete base in, my BiL to wire it for light & power. Took two of us a day to build including wiring & ply lining, recommend using plenty of silicon between the roof panels as I didn’t and had to slacken a load of screws to add more when it had a small leak in a storm.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I used to have one of these ones:

Trimetals

It was very good, and I would have one again if it was required!

ChrisL

I’ve got one of their big sheds (the Gladiator). I didn’t buy it direct from Asgard as I found a 3rd party company who was selling it at a discount. (IIRC Asgard don’t discount themselves so they don’t piss off their 3rd party retailers.) I put it up with help from 1 or 2 friends. The assembly is pretty straightforward, getting a concrete base sorted out was the most effort.

They’re pretty noisy if the wind catches a door when it’s open or you knock anything against a wall but that’s about the only downside. Oh and they’re not necessarily very subtle:

gonzy
    Free Member

thegeneralist – YGM

Thegeneralist if gonzo isn’t interested I possibly might be subject to measuring and having a think I’m in Leeds.

I spoke to my insurance company and he suggested that although they would be covered they paint a target on your back advertising you have a bike in there, which I hadn’t thought of.

its all yours firestarter

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Asgard Bike Shed’ is closed to new replies.