Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Asgard bike box owners – quick question…
  • wl
    Free Member

Folk with Asgard boxes – are you laying down a concrete base or using flag stones or what? I need the simplest option but don’t want to compromise the insurance cover. Presumably laying a concrete base isn’t too difficult, even for a novice DIYer? Any tips very welcome. Thanks v much.

woody2000

Put mine straight onto flagstones. In what way does the base potentially compromise the insurance cover (your home insurance presumably)?

wl
    Free Member

It might not compromise it, to be honest. Just wondered if the base had to be immovable/fixed or whatever. If I just laid flags onto soil, perhaps an insurance company would say that didn’t qualify as fixed. I might just be being paranoid, but I’m guessing plenty of insurers will do whatever they can to avoid paying out. House contents, yes.

philwarren11
    Free Member

Straight on flagstone path. The thing weighs like 120kg so its not going anywhere in a hurry.

dis40
    Free Member

Just ordered one of their boxes. I laid down concrete base as no other flat hard surface to use, easy enough to do, made wooden frame with gravel boards, rubble in bottom to half way then filled with quick setting concrete from B and q, level of, sprayed with water (with quick setting concreate you do not need to make up with water first so very easy to use). If you decide to lay base they have dimensions the base should be on their website for each different box.

wl
    Free Member

dis40 – cheers for this, v helpful. How come the bases need to be bigger than the box – to prevent cracks in the concrete or something? Anyway, good luck with yours. My box arrived today – excellent service both from sales and delivery, and the box pieces seem solid as anything.

gil_

Bombproof Boxes, had one for 10 years with no issues 🙂

Standing on Tarmac, you do realise it has a base too?

dis40
    Free Member

wl – I think the base needs to be bigger so if you drill into it, it will not crack.

fettlin

Depends which one you get. The 3 or 4 bike boxes have a floor in already, just needs to be set on a level surface (concrete/flags are only really needed if you bolt this type down).

The single bike store (opens from the end) doesn’t have a floor in, so needs to be fixed to a solid base.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I need the simplest option but don’t want to compromise the insurance cover

Speak to your insurance company then. Did they specify a particular storage option or just locked?

nedrapier

50mm concrete flagstones from buildbase on leveled sand. I never got round to bolting it down, as the shed weighs 130kg and the stuff in it weighed another 80+

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Asgard bike box owners – quick question…’ is closed to new replies.