Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • As the clock of life ticks by – it's time to take up running
  • Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Maninthe – definitely DO stretch, just don't do it cold!

ourmaninthenorth

boobs – cheers. Just what I need.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Without reading all the post, yes running is the perfect exercise whilst having a new baby.

No faffing getting kit ready, no faffing cleaning kit after, and much more efficient than cycling, I can't remember the correct ratio but its some thing like 30mins of runnning is equivalent to 1hr of cycling.

If you have been a cyclist leg muscles especially round the knees should be quite strong so risk of injury should be less. Just get out and run… slowly to start with, and don't expect it to feel comfortable or natural as biking and running use muscless quite differently.

Stick with it though, vary your routes, and try and get off road if you can, all helps to make it more interesting

ourmaninthenorth

Special thanks to:

2tyred
    brassneck
    funkydunk

And all the rest f you – even RealMan

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

M-F – there are a zillion references on-line. I've injured a hip and a knee cold stretching for kickboxing tournaments. I know warm up, lightly stretch, do the run/exercise then stretch afterwards. This is from someone that taught pupils to stretch during many years KBing teaching. And someone that hasn't been below the top 10% in a dozen 10k trail races…

No doubt there is – I was purely giving my anecdotal experience that I never injured MYSELF after training hard for nearly a year starting as a non-runner to running a half decent half marathon time.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

M-F – you can't be "deep" stretching then – which is a good thing if cold.

I consider proper stretching to be quite intense – hands flat on the floor (from standing) and similar.

HTTP404
    Free Member

you need to distinguish between static and dynamic stretches.
    static stretches of muscle should never be carried out cold and actually avoided prior to exercise (and not even straight after exercise) since it defeats the purpose. stick to a warm-up with a dynamic stretching routine reflecting the range of movements in the exercise you're about to do.
    keep exercise and static stretching sessions well apart. but do undertake static stretching.
    shoes? run in whatever is comfortable for you.
    off-road? if you have knee problems and the route is an uneven surface – take it easy – in fact i'd avoid it.
    mileage? build it up slowly.

barefoot? forefoot strike? heel strike? – can't answer those 🙂

ourmaninthenorth

Cheers http404 – useful summary.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

M-F – you can't be "deep" stretching then – which is a good thing if cold.

I consider proper stretching to be quite intense – hands flat on the floor (from standing) and similar.
    I have no idea what stretching I did, I just stretched then went running in my cheap internet shoes and did (IMO) a pretty decent time. I tended not to be particularly scientific about it.

nickc

I feel almost compelled…

start slow, find a 5km route, and run it slowly, don't wear a watch, just run it. If you need to walk, then walk, but try to run it all. Do this 3 times a week for about 5-6 weeks. You'll be screamingly bored by the end of it, but your body will be used to running, and hopefully the gradually build up mean fewer injuries. If you do feel a sudden pain at any time whilst running. STOP and go home, don't be tempted to run on. Ice any inflammation, and try again in a couple of days, still sore? leave it longer, still sore after that, go see a doctor.

Shoes. Unless you've got a really weird gait, then shoe fitting is pretty pointless for most people, but it's your money so go for it if you want to, it certainly won't hinder your running. Unless you intend to trouble the top 10 of your local running club's annual 10k then £50 is more than enough for most casual runners to spend on shoes.

Try to look/ behave like a runner. This sounds really stupid, but honestly, try to concentrate on the small things, run with an even pace, try to keep your breathing even, head up, don't slouch, move your body fluidly across the ground. It will eventually become natural, but at first think about it, don't just switch off.

Running off road is one of the delights of running, but I think sometimes runners who've been running for a while tend to forget how jarring and un balancing it can be, because we just do it, we forget that it's taken our ankles, knees, and hips an age to build up to he point where we just don't think about it any more, and it feels easy. So for a beginner I'd suggest stick to the pavement and road for the time being, just get used to it, before heading for the hills. But do go off road, it's ace.

find comfy clothes, make sure the shirt you've got feels comfy when it's covered in sweat. Don't tie your shorts across the middle of your tummy, wear them lower, on your hips. helps to keep stitch away.

That's enough for now.

ourmaninthenorth

Thanks, nick. Some good, real world advice.

I'm feeling rather motivated to give all of this a try. 😀

surfer
    Free Member

Now get out and run till your eye balls pop!!!

* Advice given to me by my coach some years ago.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

But don't get out and run till your balls pop!!!

stever
    Free Member

Quickest way of getting tired. If you're lucky you might get a good sleeper and have loads of spare time. Or not. Back from 9m on the hill and feel GREAT. Keep it fun is all I'd add

backhander
    Free Member

Ok, surfmats at least partially right. Stretching warm is far more effective than stretching cold. However, stretching cold is better than not stretching at all. ourmaninthenorth, don't scrimp on trainers the tech is not all sales bobbins and do try a load on before purchasing. There's good deals to be had on interweb and ebay. Look at existing shoes to see if you need a supportive shoe (wearing on one side).
    For CV fitness, weight loss and endurance you should be aiming for distance rather than speed. Start small and you'll be amazed at how quickly you progress. My mrs ran a sub 2hr half marathon after 6 months training (from nowt). Oh, and don't worry about ignore realman; he's only 17.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

nickc says it really well,
    On a personal note, I got off pavement plodding as quickly as possible (although you have no choice on a winter evening), basically I couldn't stand it and could only manage a few miles before I was fed up. By contrast, I can run 6 miles off road and not really realise I've run that far, quite enjoy it and repeat the same route regularly without it getting stale. I tend to drive to locations that have a really nice route, to try and keep myself motivated and keep it enjoyable.

what I've also found is, that if I make it part of my routine, a must do thing, and do it regularly, then I can keep it going. If I start making excusses (ie the recent wet weather patch), then it all falls apart and two months later I'm still making excusses. one method I used, was to go somewhere on my way home from work, that way I didn't get home and comfortable infront of the telly. If you're doing it to lose weight or get fit, rather than because you want to be a runner, then motivation might be your biggest problem, well it has been for me.

nickc

If you're doing it to lose weight

1 mile is about 100 calories. Bit more if you run faster, or you're a big chap. but it's a handy calculator.

Running doesn't need feeding (if you see what I mean). So to keep the weight off, diet is still important.

IanMunro
    Free Member

However, stretching cold is better than not stretching at all.
    Not really, no. http://tca.d4sportsclub.com/object.aspx?id=516&o=486 as a starting point to google research if it's of interest.
    May well be true of some sports where you're going to do some really dynamic movements, or stretch your body outside it's normal range of movements. Might also be true if you're planning running less than a 1000m, but for the type of running we're talking about here, it's of no more benefit that performing stretching before taking the dog for a walk or having a poo 🙂

backhander
    Free Member

Ianmunro, That report says that there may be little benefit from stretching cold, which is more than you would benefit if not stretching at all.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

A tip I forgot – don't run like a girl. People will laugh at you.

brassneck

Don't tie your shorts across the middle of your tummy, wear them lower, on your hips. helps to keep stitch away.

If this works, you sir, have earned a virtual pint.

Running doesn't need feeding (if you see what I mean).

This too is very true, and one of the main reasons I think it works. After cycling or swimming I'll pretty much gnaw the doors I'm so hungry, after a run all I want is a pint of cold water.

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘As the clock of life ticks by – it's time to take up running’ is closed to new replies.