Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • As a valued customer, it's for security
  • nickc

Said the man on the end of my phone banking when he asked why I wanted to withdraw “an amount” of money.

So, I call to arrange to pick up some money from a branch that isn’t mine, I understand that for my benefit they’ll be some security hoops to jump through, can I bring a couple of forms of ID? and could you think of a security word? OK, the first is alright, the second request is a bit OTT but whatever, and finally can you tell me what the money is for…

Wait, what?

I told them, it’s really not that important, but It’s my money, I’ve had the wherewithal to phone beforehand, and not just rock up, but “they” don’t need to know what I’m bloody doing with my own bloody money…Do “they”?

Cheeky monkeys 😈

Junkyard
    Free Member

I would have made up something imaginative and embarrassing
    Its for a boob job for my mistress

nickjb
    Free Member

Sound like carrying out due diligence so as not to fall foul of Money Laundering Regulations. Nothing too sinister

scotroutes

It’s all Anti Money Laundering rules.

Jungli
    Free Member

Buying cake surely?

nickc

nick, I kinda figured, but I’m unlikely to say

“I’m hoping for a kilo of the good stuff with this much…”

Just seemed massively intrusive sort of “Unless it’s for something worthwhile that you’ve properly saved for and can justify, have no doubt that we shall be informing your mother, who will, as you know, take a dim view…”

Or alternatively

“For a bike frame!!, how **** much? Are you **** mad”

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Money laundering stuff

A few years back we got a phone call when a reasonable lump of money was paid into our account. MrsWCA explained it was inheritance from her mothers estate. That would have been okay but the follow up comment from the lady on the phone was ‘insensitive’. “You lucky thing! What are you going to spend it on?”

nickc

many many cake

Jungli
    Free Member

Can I have a slice?

nickc

You can have the odd crumb 😆

martinhutch

Stocking up on Gaffa Tape?

That would have been okay but the follow up comment from the lady on the phone was ‘insensitive’. “You lucky thing! What are you going to spend it on?”

😯

toppers3933
    Free Member

Coke and hookers. Surely.

geoffj

Cake you say?

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_SyurgZ8GaQ[/video]

aracer
    Free Member

Coke and hookers. Surely.

I think in these particular circumstances that might be the wrong answer

portlyone

“Well, have you seen Breaking Bad…?”

nealglover
    Free Member

How does asking what you are spending your money on prevent money laundering ?

Either I have totally misunderstood what money laundering is, or that’s not a very good way of preventing it.

j4mie
    Free Member

First time I heard about this I’d been reading about a guy who refused to answer the question, and they’d refused to give him his money.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

If you don’t want to be hassled with this stuff just use HSBC…

julians
    Free Member

It’s to check that you’re not financing terrorism.banks are obliged to check this,along with anti money laundering checks.

It could also be just to check that you yourself are not being a victim of fraud, eg taking horas recent thread about the old person that paid 11k for a burglar alarm.

I’m not sure most terrorists would answer the question honestly.

nealglover
    Free Member

It could also be just to check that you yourself are not being a victim of fraud

That seems a lot more feasible.

mrchrispy

just say its to pay the nice man with the irish accent that layed my drive.

br
    Free Member

I’m not sure most terrorists would answer the question honestly.

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/108128.pdf

Question 38…

nickc

That’s not real is it b r? surely a fake? 😆

unklehomered
    Free Member

I wonder if you said that you’d had an email from a very nice man in Nigeria who was a having a procedural issue with the will of a dead King… would they still have given you your own money.

Also, did you think to come up with a suitable inappropriate memorable word?

Rimjob?

Jizbucket

Slopknockers?

tillydog
    Free Member

That’s not real is it b r? surely a fake?

Nope – same questions on the ‘landing card’ (or whatever) for US entry.

Drew some money out a few years ago, and got asked the same question (they did explain that it was to do with the ‘new’ money laundering regulations). Told the girl at the Halifax that it was for paying the builder for our extension. “Ooh”, she said “I hope you’re not paying them VAT”. IKYN

maccruiskeen

and could you think of a security word? OK, the first is alright, the second request is a bit OTT but whatever

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYrvzd-N9GY[/video]

fourbanger
    Free Member

understand that for my benefit they’ll be some security hoops to jump through

You know its not really for your benefit at all right?

timba
    Free Member

Politely refuse to tell them and see what they say. It could be marketing, e.g. “I’m buying a car” and insurance offers from said institution will now appear

It could be a security check, “I’m buying a car”, the amount goes to XYZ dealership and won’t be stopped

darrell
    Free Member

search online for David Graeber and his ideas on bureaucracy

that will answer your question

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘As a valued customer, it's for security’ is closed to new replies.