Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Arts and crafts people – how would you do this?
  • Duane…
    Free Member

Random I know…

http://60plusnorth.blogspot.fi/2012/10/diy-joulukortti-2012.html

Any ideas? Getting the string through the hole, without having to put each bit onto a needle each time? Plus it would need to be a pretty big-eyed needle..
    Getting the string to lie flat and taut, without tearing the card?

Ta,
    Duane.

allthegear
    Free Member

It’s only four strings in each card – so only needs four needles stringing. Then pass them through a little like tying shoelaces.

I’d be tempted to either tie the ends together on the back of the card or, even, hot glue gun.

Rachel

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Four colours, four needles. Do a tree’s-worth of one colour, tie and snip, then the next colour, and so on. Doesn’t look like particularly high tension, and the card seems fairly heavy. It’s a nice idea; I like it.

EDIT too slow

kayak23

The holes look relatively big. Poke thread through, sellotape down behind, glue the whole lot onto a folded card? A false front if you like…
    Great idea.

Duane…
    Free Member

Hmm, very true, for some reason thought there was a lot more than 4 colours! Shouldn’t be too tricky then 🙂

(Probably go along the lines of these Pinterest attempts…
    http://justsomething.co/the-34-most-hilarious-pinterest-fails-ever/ )

CountZero

The colours are fairly randomly threaded, I’d guess a template was first worked out to get the holes exactly spaced, then a large darning needle used to push through on a soft background, like for stitching leather, the ideal thing being a cork sanding block from a hardware store, or Wilkos, which I’ve seen leather workers using, then just thread each colour one at a time fairly randomly through the holes from top to bottom, or whatever, cut and tape, or use a dab of fast drying glue, then do the next colour. Then stick a piece of matching card cut to size on the back, or use precut card and stick to already folded cards, as others have suggested.
    You could do the black card one size, then stick onto folded cards that are slightly biggerer, in a contrasting colour, maybe matching one of the threads, giving an equal border all round.
    Just a thought. 🙂

CaptJon
    Free Member

To reinforce the card you could simply stick a triangle of the same card a few mm larger than the tree shape to the back.

CountZero

An oversized triangle of the same card’s a neat idea too. Rather than fanny around with four needles and four colours, I’d just do one colour at a time, much less chance of threads getting tangled; Rachel’s suggestion of a hot glue gun is ideal, I’d forgotten those, the little craft-sized ones are perfect.
    I have a bloody great industrial strength one, but it needs treating with respect; it causes pretty spectacular blisters if you’re not careful.
    As I found out the hard way…

Duane…
    Free Member

Think it turned out alright! 🙂

allthegear
    Free Member

Oh that’s fantastic!!

Edit – presumably we should all expect to receive one now? 😉
    Rachel

CountZero

Yay! That’s fantastic, a really beautiful job. Well done you! 😀
    Actually, having just had a shufti at the original, yours is much better, with the addition of the ‘pot’, and the gold star on top, it’s a vast improvement.
    Chappeau!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Nice idea. THe red backing detracts from the coloured thread too much though. Should have used black or white.

CountZero

I think the narrow red border sets it off quite nicely, it picks out the red threads, and is inherently Christmassy as well.
    That is a very professional job, you out to start selling them on Etsy!

Duane…
    Free Member

Haha cheers! Should have made a few extra for Etsy!

stayhigh

OP That looks really great 🙂

What size card have you gone for?

Duane…
    Free Member

Not sure actually, I kinda cheated and bought a black card blank and envelope from Hobbycraft (think the envelope was a bit smaller than A5) – then cut the threaded card blank in half and stuck it to the red card (which I cut to size to just fit the envelope).

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Arts and crafts people – how would you do this?’ is closed to new replies.