Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Artists, graphic designers, web developers and a whole lot more: Nerdgasm alert!
  • zilog6128

I’ve just ordered myself a lovely big 27″ Mac monitor this morning to plug my Macbook Pro into.

Have you just been working from a MBP screen up until now 😯

I can happily rest my hand on my Surface Pro 3 screen when using the pen.

[quote]You can rest your hand on the Surface Pro 4 too. It’s very good.[/quote]that’s good to hear! What about the parallax issue? Does this affect the smaller screens too, or not (presumably the glass can be thinner with a smaller screen?)

jimjam
    Free Member

binners – Member

That review……

In fairness it’s probably of more interest to people who are interested in the product as opposed to people who just want to endlessly ram their opinions (which they have expressed ad nauseum) down other peoples throats.

zilog6128

Plus is a 28″ touch screen just too big! Surely it would be very tiring to use all day (especially hovering over the screen like that!)

I’m not seeing it as a large touch screen, more of a small light box / digital sketch pad.

binners

Mols. Techies will get themselves all het up about this kind of thing, because… well… its the kind of thing you lot get yourself all hot and bothered about.

Meanwhile… the design industry (target market, yes?) will ignore it, or even hate it, for all the reasons you love it.

binners

In fairness it’s probably of more interest to people who are interested in the product as opposed to people who just want to endlessly ram their opinions (which they have expressed ad nauseum) down other peoples throats.

… or the people who are the target market who they’d want/be expecting to use it? … and actually pay their own (substantial amount of) money for the ‘pleasure’ of doing so?

Just a thought…

They’ll sell about 12 of them. Those 12 will sit in the far corner of a design studio gathering dust, until 5 years later someone will say, “Does anyone ever use this ****ing thing? It takes up a shitload of space. What does it do anyway?”

“Oh that POS….., Yeah, that was some dickheaad art director who worked here for about a month, 5 years ago. Wanted to be different. Insisted on one, he did. You know the type… trying too hard.”

*sound of useless, oversized tablet being turfed into a skip*

jimjam
    Free Member

binners

… or the people who are the target market who they’d want/be expecting to use it? … and actually pay their own (substantial amount of) money for the ‘pleasure’ of doing so?

You seem to be of the impression that you’re the only person on the forum with any experience of design or creative industries or that your opinion carries much more weight and validity than it actually does.

If the system works well it could be a brilliant tool for digital artists, concept artists, illustrators, graphic designers, texture artists, 3d modelers, photographers, motion graphics artists aaaand people who combine facets of any or all of those in digital media.

It’s just a tool at the end of the day and any “artist” who is so stuffy and inflexible that they fail to recognise this is probably extremely conceited or insecure.

binners

As a piece of market research I’ve just shown the riveting review video to a few of the designers and illustrators I’m presently working with. Their reaction was pretty much the same as mine. Meh. Watching a techie banging on about Quadcore processor speeds? Just demonstrates that Microsoft just don’t understand the market.

They’ll sell 12 of them…

They’ll get used for a week, before it becomes apparent that its a big daft gimmicky thing that no software developers support, then….

*sound of useless oversize tablet being hoyed into a skip*

molgrips
    Free Member

Just demonstrates that Microsoft just don’t understand the market.

Just to point out that the review wasn’t done by Microsoft. It’s not marketing aimed at artists, it’s a review. All reviews talk about processor speeds.

Mols. Techies will get themselves all het up about this kind of thing, because… well… its the kind of thing you lot get yourself all hot and bothered about.

Actually what I am getting every so slightly het up about isn’t anything to do with the PC – I couldn’t care less if you like it or not. It’s the fact you seem to WANT to hate the thing when your opinion shoudl be based on merit. And you are basing your argument on assumptions that don’t seem to be sound.

However you probably are trolling so I should not bite.

binners

I wouldn’t do that to you Molls 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

I see you’ve lost weight in that pic.

AlexSimon

It was interesting that the two pro artists in that review both had ‘dealbreakers’.
    Yet the reviewer seemed to gloss over this a little. Presumably, the pro artists currently use either Cintiq or iPad Pro and liked the screen but still didn’t want to swap.

It could just be a case of getting used to it.

The wheel thing looked every bit as pointless as we assumed.

AlexSimon

Binners – if a digital artist/illustrator of the type that currently uses Cintiq or iPad Pro isn’t at least wanting to test this, it seems a little closed-minded to me.

In terms of support, surely all you need is Adobe CC support.

molgrips
    Free Member

That thing with the pen drawing when it’s not on quite on the screen – just tried this out on the Surface, and it definitely doens’t do it. So I’d imagine that could be fixed with a bit of tweaking, providing they’re the same tech.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Personally … NFI! once they’d uttered the words Windows 10. But a solution for a problem that doesn’t exist. I just can’t see how this improves on a Mac with a big screen. Am I going to stand there all day, every day hovering over an oversized tablet. Of course I’m bloody not! And neither is anyone else

and 99% percent of the photographers/designers/editors i know use a wacom tablet*, control surface or trackpad. don’t know anyone who uses a mouse anymore.

it’s a **** product some committee came up with ‘to challenge apple’

*and not even a big one, a smaller one reduces the arm movements you have to make when you use it all day. nobody wants to wave their arms about hovering over screen like some sic-fi utopian vision of the future.

binners

Again…. I don’t want to tweak things. Like most designers I consider installing a printer driver an operation as complicated, and fraught with potential danger as defusing a roadside IED. I want to plug it in, turn it on, and for it to do what I want it to do. No ‘tweaking’ or fannying about!

A bit like a….

What are those other machines called again Mols?

You techies are a weird breed. Why on earth would you start ‘tweaking’ things if you didn’t absolutely have too?

Freaks!

😀

molgrips
    Free Member

Not biting any more binners.

For everyone else, found a first look review by an artist comparing it to a Cintiq monitor/digitiser and they reckoned the Studio was a cheaper option 😯

g5604
    Free Member

Surprised people are calling it a gimmick. Looks excellent for retouching & illustrating. Computers should be more tactile / natural

Everyone in my studio wants one – our imacs seem to change very little with every update

AlexSimon

and 99% percent of the photographers/designers/editors i know use a wacom tablet*, control surface or trackpad. don’t know anyone who uses a mouse anymore.

To be honest, I work in a few design agencies around Manchester and only the illustrators/artists have them. I can only think of a couple of web or print designers or artworkers that bother with them.
    So I would put it at <5% graphic designers use anything other than a mouse/keyboard.

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Artists, graphic designers, web developers and a whole lot more: Nerdgasm alert!’ is closed to new replies.