Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Artists, graphic designers, web developers and a whole lot more: Nerdgasm alert!
  • [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzMLA8YIgG0[/video]

redthunder
    Free Member

I’d sooner have a metal roller.

Like the one on Shed & Buried.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I genuinely don’t know how I can live without one!

yunki
    Free Member

Yeah ok… I’ll give one a trial run

allthegear
    Free Member

Ha ha – one of the things I used to hate the most about my old boss was the way he would touch my screen, leaving behind a little, but immensely annoying, fingerprint. Can you imagine trying to work on images after spending time with fingers all over the screen???

Rachel

yunki
    Free Member

Would it work with silicone gloves on?

AlexSimon

A week with one:
    https://www.penny-arcade.com/news/post/2016/10/26/the-surface-studio

As a designer who has avoided Macs for all but 2 years of my working life, it looks tempting 🙂

Not much of an upgrade path though – basically replace every 2-3 years.
    Whereas now I upgrade motherboard/processor ever 2-3 years at a cost of about £300. Then monitors at every 5 years.

maccruiskeen

Ha ha – one of the things I used to hate the most about my old boss was the way he would touch my screen, leaving behind a little, but immensely annoying, fingerprint.

There was a tail on one of those client-from-hell tumblrs of a client marking up changes on someones laptop screen with a sharpie 🙂

binners

Just NO!

mike399
    Free Member

Just yes!

dogmatix

I love shed and buried… I am not sure of the angle of the screen when flat, seems a bit too flat. But then hard to tell when not in person. Does look very nice though. Definitely overtaking apple at the moment.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Stated default angle is 20 deg – same as standard drafting board. Other angles available 😉 Nice to see the engineers have put some thought into this.

Nico
    Free Member

Ha ha – one of the things I used to hate the most about my old boss was the way he would touch my screen, leaving behind a little, but immensely annoying, fingerprint. Can you imagine trying to work on images after spending time with fingers all over the screen???

Ha! Me too. Boss scratches the screen with his pen and a former colleague scraped away at it with her fingernails.

I’ve never bought an Apple product but I’m glad they’re spending money on style so other people have to up their game/copy it.

alexxx
    Free Member

No need for a web developer, it’s certainly more appealing to the more hands on like graphic design / illustration but as has been mentioned the finger prints would drive me insane!

Also they’d have been better with the original version of the song!

molgrips
    Free Member

I thought ‘yeah so what’ until she turned it into a drawing board!

AlexSimon

molgrips – Member

I thought ‘yeah so what’ until she turned it into a drawing board! “It looks just like a normal computer, but then the most amazing thing happens…” 🙂
    An illustrator friend has fallen in love with the iPad Pro, so I’m open minded on this. I use adobe Illustrator a lot, but not in a very freehand way. Same with CAD. I’ll wait and see.

molgrips
    Free Member

That knob thing – when it’s off the screen does it function as a 3D mouse I wonder?

kelvin

So, they copied all the annoying limitations of the iMac, and some of its styling, and added a touch screen.

I spent a year with a controller like that knob… and, in the end, gave up. Thought it would be really useful, but ultimately, one hand on mouse/trackpad/trackball and the other hand on the keyboard, always won out.

kelvin

(Obviously, if your studio wants to buy you one, bite their arm off).

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

No need for a web developer, it’s certainly more appealing to the more hands on like graphic design / illustration

True. It’s definitely for the arty as opposed to cody (codey, coderful?) but I think this sums up the reason I want one:

Have you ever turned the volume knob on a ridiculously high end piece of audio equipment and felt that smooth resistance that makes you weak in the knees? Now imagine that knob is just sitting on your desk and you can make it control all kinds of stuff.

I can’t for a second justify it but can’t help but feel it’s my shitty Wacom holding back my artist-within.

I don’t know what kind of screen it has (top surface layer) but surely the fingerprints can’t be more of an issue than any other high end tablet or iPhone.

Wonder how worried Apple are. I’d suggest they shold be!

binners

Wizzy stuff like this always looks great, and ends up being shit to use. That looks no different.

You can get those nobby things and tablets and stuff for Mac’s. They’ve been available for years.

Having spent my entire career in the industry, do you know how many people I’ve met who prefer them to a mouse ? The odd weirdo who mainly seemed to be doing it to be different. You know… a bit mad!

Wonder how worried Apple are.

Not even remotely

molgrips
    Free Member

That knob thing

Found out it’s called the Microsoft Dial, but I think the Microsoft Knob is far far better.

I wonder if you can pair it with a Surface Book? If so, then it could be used in a mobile context. And if that were the case, then it could very easily be misplaced and we could end up asking “Where’s my Knob? I can’t find my Knob? Has anyone seen my Knob?”

This is brilliant.. someone tweet Microsoft.

Having spent my entire career in the industry, do you know how many people I’ve met who prefer them to a mouse ?

Ok, serious HCI discussion – that’s not the same as a novelty mouse, it’s a context sensitive hardware knob, which has not been seen before. And that PC also has a normal mouse if you watch the vid.

I wouldn’t imagine Apple would be worried, but I’d like to be a product designer in Apple at the moment because I’d imagine a fat chunk of their huge cash reserves will be coming the way of my department.

This is only good news for consumers as these two start to use their large wallets to compete for innovation and coolness.

binners

that’s not the same as a novelty mouse, it’s a context sensitive hardware knob, which has not been seen before

Gimmicky bullshit

teasel
    Free Member

This is brilliant.. someone tweet Microsoft.

kelvin

PowerMate… that was the name of the knob… it was sort of great, ’till I gave in and realised it was pointless.

jimjam
    Free Member

How much?

binners

I’ve recently (re)discovered a great new piece of kit that has moved my illustration skills on no end!

😉

perchypanther
    Free Member

binners – Member

I’ve recently (re)discovered a great new piece of kit that has moved my illustration skills on no end!

I thought you used these?

binners

Yeah, but I’ve got to draw the lines first, before I can start with the technical stuff 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Gimmicky bullshit

You read the Guardian and talk about art, but you really are a gruff Northerner at heart 🙂

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Gimmicky bullshit

If it was by a third party developer I’d agree but as it’s made by the manufacturer of the OS it has enough weight behind it that software companies such as Adobe and Autodesk might actually get behind it and see how it could be put to good use. If they do that it’ll go from gimmick to production tool pretty quickly.

As for the whole package although I think that superficially it looks pretty good, It’s not good enough that I’m instantly trying to throw money microsoft’s way. I’d need to actually try it out or at least read a ton of reviews first but it’s an interesting alternative to a pc or mac working alongside a Wacom Cintiq.

Kudos to microsoft for actually trying out new stuff though. Looking forward to Apple telling me how revolutionary the touch sensitive strip is on the new macbook pro this afternoon.

[edit]

I just bought a set of those rotring pens. I’d been looking for something a bit more sketchy than an isograph but that used proper dense black ink.

kelvin

It may be gimmicky, but it’s more interesting than Apple’s little half way house new gimmick.

stumpy01

That knob dial thing looks a bit like one of these…used for 3D cad & stuff….

http://www.3dconnexion.co.uk/products/spacemouse/spacenavigator.html?gclid=CJfrjY_m-88CFQw8GwodVVkAFg

goldfish24

I’d like to be a product designer in Apple at the moment because I’d imagine a fat chunk of their huge cash reserves will be coming the way of my department.

Very insightful, might be time for apple to actually spend some of that wodge. Can only be a good thing.

jimjam
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NhyDiiaXic[/video]

zilog6128

Missed this thread the first time round! The video review posted above, and the official trailer in the OP, show people holding the stylus with their hand “hovering” over the screen. Might be just me (and possibly something you can get used to) but personally I find this awkward compared to the iPad Pro where you can rest your hand on the screen (like I would using pencil & paper). Also people have been talking about a slight parallax which I’ve not noticed on the iPad (plus the Pencil seems to be a lot better then the Microsoft stylus).

Plus is a 28″ touch screen just too big! Surely it would be very tiring to use all day (especially hovering over the screen like that!)

bencooper
    Free Member

That’s probably just them being arty in the video – I can happily rest my hand on my Surface Pro 3 screen when using the pen.

molgrips
    Free Member

The video review posted above, and the official trailer in the OP, show people holding the stylus with their hand “hovering” over the screen. Might be just me (and possibly something you can get used to) but personally I find this awkward compared to the iPad Pro where you can rest your hand on the screen

What ben said.

You can rest your hand on the Surface Pro 4 too. It’s very good.

binners

That review……

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss2hULhXf04[/video]

Meh….. A techies wet dream, I’m sure.

Personally … NFI! once they’d uttered the words Windows 10. But a solution for a problem that doesn’t exist. I just can’t see how this improves on a Mac with a big screen. Am I going to stand there all day, every day hovering over an oversized tablet. Of course I’m bloody not! And neither is anyone else

Speaking of which….. In other news… I’ve just ordered myself a lovely big 27″ Mac monitor this morning to plug my Macbook Pro into. Now you’re bloody talking!!! 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

Am I going to stand there all day, every day hovering over an oversized tablet. Of course I’m bloody not! And neither is anyone else

Cos you don’t have to hover – you put your hand on it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Artists, graphic designers, web developers and a whole lot more: Nerdgasm alert!’ is closed to new replies.