Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Art project I've been involved with – cheeky self promotion
  • flyingmonkeycorps

As you may know my hometown of Hull is City of Culture this year. It’s been frankly brilliant so far, and one of the best thing is the peripheral / fringe projects that have sprung up that are officially nothing to to with CoC.

One of these is a project called the Hull 52, which has seen 52 local artists (including yours truly) each design a card for a playing deck. This has been done completely funding free, and we’re now crowdfunding to get the packs printed up. The guys are running it not-for-profit so beyond costs all profit is going to a local charity.

So firstly – check it out! There’s some amazing work in there and I’m humbled to be included.

Secondly (and I hope this is ok mods!) if you fancy a lovely deck of cards with some great artwork you can fund one for a tenner from the Hull 52 Indiegogo page. We’re well over halfway to the goal with a couple of weeks to go, so fingers crossed!

Cheers for looking, I’ll return to posts about broken droppers and route advice shortly.

eviljoe
    Free Member

This gallery contains profanities & nudity

Awesome 🙂

I’m in!

binners

Loving those! Have we got to guess which one is yours? I’ve chipped in for a deck anyway 😀

I’ve not been to Hull for years! Last time was when I was teaching graphic design and journalism to some school kids there, all tied in with the round the world yacht race. It gets a bad press, but I was there for 2 weeks and really enjoyed it

I love the look of the turbine blade in the centre of town. It looks amazing! Such a simple but dramatic thing to do

they’re on about Hull on Radmac on 6 Music now

flyingmonkeycorps

Unusually none of it is me!

The blade is gone now, but it was truly awesome while it was there, I loved it. Such a simple concept but I think it spoke a lot about the city, and it sparked a lot of discourse.

You can guess or I can tell you, all good 🙂

jca

I’d guess the king of diamonds

</stalker mode off>

flyingmonkeycorps

Haha, that’s some good stalking!

maccruiskeen

I love the look of the turbine blade in the centre of town. It looks amazing!

I was prepared to crawl over broken glass to go and see that but have just been too busy with work and now its gone. I was at college with Nayan it looked like an absolute Corker.

Neverless getting down to Hull is pretty much the only thing on my to-do list for this year. Was there last summer working on a commission for the Amy Johnson festival and just really enjoyed spending time in the city. Hull on a sunny day is a very very pleasant place to be these days.

scaredypants

This gallery contains profanities & nudity

and missing apostrophes and spellen errors on the first card

/stw

<resubmits application for flashheart junior pedantry badge>
    <chips in for a couple of packs anyway>

flyingmonkeycorps

I *think* the blade is being reinstalled outside the Siemens factory, so it may be that you can still go see it, though obviously the setting was kind of an important part of the whole thing. You should get down though, the whole place is buzzing at the moment. I am biased ‘cos I love it here, but still.

Don’t get me started on the grammar errors. If I was in charge… But thank you very much!

frankconway

Done – funded a 2 pack.
    Timely reminder about the CoC; memo to self – must go.

maccruiskeen

You should get down though, the whole place is buzzing at the moment. I am biased ‘cos I love it here, but still.

The breakfast burgers at Thieving Harry’s are reason enough!

flyingmonkeycorps

The breakfast burgers at TH are incredible.

geetee1972
    Free Member

That is fabulous dude!

Kamakazie

Awesome idea. I’ll be getting a few packs for myself and as gifts.

flyingmonkeycorps

Cheers for the support guys!

loddrik
    Free Member

I’m still impressed to see ‘Hull’ and ‘Culture’ in the same sentence.

If we carry on the current trajectory we might have Wigan or Milton Keynes as the next capital of culture.

maccruiskeen

I’m still impressed to see ‘Hull’ and ‘Culture’ in the same sentence.

Thats actually been one of Hull’s trump cards (see what I did there) for a long time. Being off the map has allowed really interesting grass roots things to happen. Its a town where theres space and time to get things started and try anything out.

Whats helped with that in recent years is the council has started to take a pretty hard line with owners of under utilised property – ‘get people in there and get the doors open or we’ll take it off you’ – and that creates space for projects and enterprises to get something off the ground.

Its also totally in the spirit of the whole ‘Capital of Culture’ thing – the whole point is it opens people’s eyes to what a city has to offer. Nobody would have associated Glasgow with ‘culture’ in the late 80s. I once met the guy who wrote the bid for Glasgow. His previous job was marketing tourism in late 80s Belfast. But the C of C was awarded to Glasgow and not Edinburgh (who were bidding in the same year) because it had the potential to change Glasgow.

bodgy
    Free Member

The blade is gone now . . . it spoke a lot about the city

Hull could probably do with a bit more industrial junk knocking about, after all.

flyingmonkeycorps

Just so’s you all know, after I went on the radio this morning we hit the crowdfund target, woohoo!

Trekster

Like…..
    Caravan/motorhome park links?

flyingmonkeycorps

Honestly I haven’t a clue, I’ve never needed one ‘cos I live here!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Art project I've been involved with – cheeky self promotion’ is closed to new replies.