Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Arsehat, my chain just came off (xx1 content) ;-(
  • maxtorque

So, i built up my 1by drivetrain and thought, “A-HA!” i can ditch that stupid chain device. Well, turns out maybe i acted too soon. Just lost my chain, drat! (although perhaps on the bright side, it makes me officially a “medium gnar” rider now??

So, who runs with what chain device for xx1? (ISG-05 mounts pref)

robj20
    Free Member

Nope, not lost my chain since fitting XX1 with no guard.

kimbers

All the top enduro world series riders seem to have a top guide at least with their xx1 setups

Narrow wide and clutch mechs are great but I’ve lost mine a couple of times on fast rocky descents

I’m now running an mrp Upper guide and it seems OK so far I’ll no for sure after the 1st round of the ukge next week !

cookeaa

Chain too long?

mrhoppy

Check your chain length as 1st start, I set mine on the small cog with the chain just putting tension on the mech.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

MRP AMG – the taco protects from rock strikes too.

I have lost the chain quite a few times running nothing. No use when I start racing in a few weeks, so guide it is!

maxtorque

Nope, chain length is spot on, and i’m running with a clutch mech.

Assuming i don’t spend the whole time back pedalling, an upper guide is the most important yeah?

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Not lost my chain yet,but about to fit a Gamut trail upper device.weighs 50g so not too heavy

dirtyrider
    Free Member

18 months, run at times on severely worn chain/chainring/cassette – never dropped

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Your not running xx1 though are you from memory? Aren’t you just using the xx1 cranks? The rear mech plays a big part in keeping the xx1 chain on, I’m not saying it shouldn’t work well with a mix but I’ve never ever lost the chain with no guard on a full xx1 setup

stevede
    Free Member

Like Hob Nob I lost my chain a few times without a guide so have gone for an mrp amg and have had no issues since.

bikeneil
    Free Member

Arsehat, my chain just came off (xx1 content) ;-

Well just put it back on then and move on, no?

maxtorque

It is a shimano back end, but i can’t really see that making much difference? A clutch mech is a clutch mech pretty much surely?

Considering the tiny weight penalty, i think a front top guide is looking like a good idea…….

mrhoppy

You’ve got the clutch on yeah?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Well yeh it is but I ran a xt/xtr clutch mech before and dropped the chain a few times with that setup, I’ve yet to do it on xx1 6 months in

The jockey wheels and even the chain are a designed around it Being used chain guard less, and the mech also

I genuinely can’t see my riding (peak disctrict) losing it tbh and we ride rough stuff

There will be some instances where people drop it, looking at hob nobs pics in the past he’s a fairly gnarly good rider so some folk who ride mega hard may do so

Not saying the shimano / xx1 mix shouldn’t work just saying have used both xx1 retains the chain better as a whole system, but that in all fairness is how sram intended it to be made, shimano didn’t and have never attempted it so it’s more like a decent bodge job, but again I only rarely lost my chain with xtr clutch setup it’s just not as sure fire fit and forget like the xx1 setup

maxtorque

Yeah, i have got the clutch on! (i’m stupid. But not THAT stupid….. 😉

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I think the clutch on my old 10spd Saint mech is better than the one on my XO1. I get significantly more chain slap with the SRAM setup. I guess that’s why I have had some chain issues.

mrhoppy

I’m stupid, but not that stupid

Uh huh 😉

sbd16v
    Free Member

I lost my chain for the first time on a rocky decent last week.

hatter

sillyoldman

I just fitted that very same guide to my bike this evening. Really nice. Light, stiffer than the MRP that it’s replaced, and reasonably priced – what’s not to like?!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Arsehat, my chain just came off (xx1 content) ;-(’ is closed to new replies.