Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Arrrgh! 12mm & 15mm 'through axles'!! Help! What does it all mean???
  • no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Advice Please!!

I'm eyeing up a bike at the mo', which would come with FOX F100 RLC forks and some pimpy DT swiss wheels… it's just that these are all set up for a 15mm front 'through axle' and a 12mm rear.

What does this all mean?

Obviously the Forx would always need to be run with a 15mm 'through axle' front, but the frame itself..? What does a 12mm rear 'through axle' axle mean in this respect? Is it simply bigger… somehow? Or would I only be able to run 'through axle' rear wheels on the frame – for ever and ever?

What is the likelyhood of these systems becoming obsolete in a few years?

Is it possible to convert these DT swiss wheels to run with normal QRs, and therefore swap them for use on another bike?

This is all very confusing for someone who probably still finds standard quick release wheels a bit of an exciting novelty. 😛

Thanks! 🙂

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Hopefully 15mm dies a death 'cos its pointless. 12mm is here to stay, its on pretty much every dh bike out there

iain1775
    Free Member

might help if you tell us what frame and what wheels?

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Okay… I didn't realise! Frame – Yeti ARC 2009, Wheels – DT Swiss X1800 (also 2009)

Does that help? 🙂

ScottChegg
    Free Member

15mm front is with 100mm flange width. 20mm is 110mm flange, so wider and supposedly stronger.

Rear 12mm can be either 135 spacing (as QR) or 150mm on the real big stuff. Most DT stuff can be converted within these limits, ie 20mm won't necessarily be converted to fit in a 15mm fork.

12mm rear you will be stuck with unless you change your frame. But why would you go back to QR?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Arrrgh! 12mm & 15mm 'through axles'!! Help! What does it all mean???’ is closed to new replies.