Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Arrgh more broken bike bits, bent steerer=knackered headset
  • ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

While I’m waiting for a new mech hanger to arrive, I thought I’d take my forks off the bike, strip them down and top them up with some clean oil.

Had an absolute nightmare getting the stem, spacerss and top race of the headset off and when the steerer was finally released from the frame the problem was obvious. The steerer tube had a bend in it like a banana about where it exits the top of the headtube. Then I checked the headset and found that the upper cartidge bearing in my very expensive hope headset had completely siezed and that my steering had only continued to work as the top race wore itself out against the bearing.

How much is a new steerer for my rockshox Tora’s going to set me back, I’m guessing its probably cheaper to buy a new pair?

nickc

probably. Fishers are, to be fair, pretty good on fixing stuff though, so it’s worth a call to them

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

Removed the headset last night and it looks like the top of the headtube is ovalised slightly as well. Can I get away with having the headtube reamed and a deep cup headset lie the cane creek TankII installed?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Arrgh more broken bike bits, bent steerer=knackered headset’ is closed to new replies.