Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • arrgh decisions decisions………… 575 or ex8???
  • renton
    Free Member

Right i need some help.

i am looking at a new(secondhand) bike to replace my 06 enduro.

ive really taken to the enduro but have decided that i just dont and probably never will do the type of riding its suited to and therefore when i take it to cannock or the wyre forest i feel completely over biked!

so ive managed to sell it and put a bit of extra cash to what i got for it and now am looking at two bikes……..

the first is a yeti 575 2007 model built up with pikes(pushed)full xt and king/hope/thomson bits very nice bike and ive always wanted a 575 but never been abl to afford one.

the other is an 09 trek fuel ex8 completely standard with slx and xt,bonty wheelset etc also a very nice bike.

now i intend to do a lot of longer rides this year and get a lot fitter,dragging the enduro round was knackering me out which then made me too tired to enjoy the down hill bits.

now ive been looking into the 575 and have read a lot about flexy rear ends (mainly carbon though)this one has the full alloy one so it shouldn't be a problem.

not read much about the ex8 but they seem to get good reviews in the mags.

my type of riding is mainly singletrack with the occasional drop off (im talking no more than 2 foot here)and the very occasional trip to afan.

which do you think would be more suitable, obviously two different bikes and suspension designs.

my heart is saying the yeti(its in the team colours too!!) but my head is saying the newer ex8 .

all opinions welcome!

thanks

steve

Hadge
    Free Member

Go for the Yeti. It's a good bike, well built, sorted geometry and suspension and will sell better in years to come.

nuke

Go for the EX8. It's a good bike, well built, sorted geometry and suspension and hold their value better than you think due to the fact they do ride so well.

😀 09 EX8 owner btw

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

If you want another 575 option I am selling mine (20" frame so I am guessing it will be too big!), though it is the anno black one.

Just saying like!

I haven't ridden an EX8 so can't really give you any suggestions on the comparison. I was kind of thinking of a Remedy myself but am not feeling the love at the moment (mainly after seeing the price!)

DezB
    Free Member

Good on ya to not be swayed by the brand names. I would be!

By the way – it might be worth getting in touch with Yeti, or posting on yetifan.com forum about your weight and the shock on the Yeti – I just had a thought that you might have to get the shock custom valved. Reason being, my mate is close to exceeding the max shock pressure on his 575.
    It may be that the large is already set up for it, but worth mentioning, I thought.

br
    Free Member

I had an (S-works) 06 Enduro, and I can't imagine that a 575 built with Pikes will be any lighter…

Sorry, but if you want to ride longer, and more then I will add another, Anthem X?

renton
    Free Member

good point dez b!!

easygirl

had an enduro, then a 575, and found the 575 blew through its travel, and had a flexi rear end,im 105 kg so it may be me
    went back to an enduro sl, and its a much better bike in my opinion
    was not impressed with the 575 at all

markcdo
    Free Member

Mate, I've had an older 575 and a 2008 Ex 8 – they're both virtually faultless. My 575 had the fairly poo 5th Element shock, the Fox equipped ones are superb. They'll both hold their value ok, which to buy? I'll put it this way – I've had several high end bikes over the years, if I won the lottery tomorrow and could have any bike I'd get another 575.

very versatile, build it light for xc/trail or burly for more hairy stuff…

renton
    Free Member

easygirl did your 575 have a carbon rear end??

P20

I've had a 575 carbon for 3 yrs and can't see any need to change it. Use it mainly xc/trail. Wor lass has a ex8 and isn't convinced by it's climbing.

easygirl

mine was carbon rear end
    cheers

psychle
    Free Member

I could have an '07 S-works Enduro SL (carbon frame) for sale if you're interested… very nice bike and pretty much perfect for what you're talking about (much more 'trail' orientated than the '06 Enduro, like a long-legged Stumpjumper in a way)

yetiguy
    Free Member

i have a 575, alloy rear and weigh 100kg, more with camelbak etc.

Ace bike !

Join the tribe

radoggair
    Free Member

Turner?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘arrgh decisions decisions………… 575 or ex8???’ is closed to new replies.