Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Army goretex jackets for riding?
  • Garry_Lager

Does anyone use an army goretex jacket for when it’s really wet?

Something like this one on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GERMAN-ARMY-FLECKTARN-GORETEX-WATERPROOF-JACKET-GR1-L-/290490918021?pt=UK_Sporting_Goods_Sports_Clothing_LE&hash=item43a29ba485
    (sry link won’t embed for some reason)

What are they like? Not worried too much about breathability etc, but more about how heavy they are. Do you feel weighed down or are the reasonably light?

tree-magnet
    Free Member

Dunno about the German Army ones, but the British Army ones are heavy and the gortex isn’t that high quality. Or at least, the one’s I was issued back in the early 2000’s were anyway. Better than the crisp packets I got in the 90’s though.

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

As above. Heavy, bulky, baggy and not particularly well cut, especially for cycling.

hora
    Free Member

Heres my old Flecktarn (thanks for the pic/courtesy of nbt):

Plus? Great, it was quite worn though so at certain rub points water/moisture was visible.. and as stated it came up HUGE as its meant for carrying kit/layers underneath so always go a sizex2 down on those.

I wear a new DPM UK army jacket- amazing thing. Definitely an autumn/winter jacket but it got me through sub-zero etc last winter brilliantly. Again- size up carefully (but not as much as the German-one).

I have two DPM’s – one obviously worn and my main one that is new. It actually is new.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

the german ones are heavier GTX than current issue

stuff in 2000 had pockets and was heavy

current stuff is designed as a liner to go underneath combat jacket, GTX is lighter but still heavier than most modern bike jackets

however if you are short of funds could be a good option

user-removed
    Free Member

I’ve had both (still have the UK one). The German ones are far less bulky and the goretex is whisper quiet and quite thin compared to the UK one. It packs up MUCH smaller too, which is worth bearing in mind if you think you might need to pack it away at any point.

Wouldn’t use the UK one for biking – just too big and heavy but do use it for foul weather dog walking / hiking.

TooTall
    Free Member

current stuff is designed as a liner to go underneath combat jacket,

Well behind the times there. Pockets back on again for a while now.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

The USMC Extreme Cold Weather Jackets / parka’s are the way forward. Think mine was £50 inc shipping. As good quality as my 3 layer goretex Burton Snoboarding jacket and 1/6th of the price.

hora
    Free Member

The USMC Extreme Cold Weather Jackets /

Where from?

devs
    Free Member

I stole mine off a yank in the desert. The spoils of war! It’s my best skiing jacket!

skiprat
    Free Member

Like Hora i have 2 British ones, a well worn and a new one. Good for the winter or when its very sh1tty. Had pit vents put in by local sewing lady for a few quid and now its great. Not to hot but still keeps the crap out.

Other good thing with them is they do have a big hood, great for putting up over your helmet when its driving wind and rain. For the money they are cracking jackets and if you fall off, its only a few quid to replace.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

The USMC Extreme Cold Weather Jackets /
    Where from?

Ebay – they seem to come from suppliers in China – which my Mate in the corp in the US suggests is where the USMC actually get theirs, as he couldnt tell the difference between mine and his ‘issued’ kit.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Army goretex jackets for riding?’ is closed to new replies.