Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • Army Clearing Snow in Edinburgh – Political Stunt?
  • SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Apparently they were clearing the snow for vulnerable people in edinburgh. Thing is, we have a nursing home opposite and a hell of a lot of old people in the street yet no soldiers clearing snow…

So was it a political stunt to make the council look good in the more affluent areas of the city?

Jamie
    Free Member

I assume you have offered to help clear the snow to help the aforementioned nursing home?

druidh
    Free Member

I thought they were clearing snow to provide access to the boiler room at Astley Ainslie?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    druidh
    Free Member

My apologies – hey were also clearing snow from the Sick Kids (and it was the RAF and Navy too).

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

There probably was some PR mileage in it but who cares?

Capable people doing a decent job – good on them.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Thing is, we have a nursing home opposite and a hell of a lot of old people in the street yet no soldiers clearing snow.

Get on the phone and complain….they should be.

“Edinburgh council called in troops to clear roads and pavements, get access to priority sites like doctors’ surgeries and care homes”

http://www.channel4.com/news/uk-weather-army-helps-clear-edinburghs-snow

The poor lads probably haven’t been told about your special nursing home opposite.

When they come to do it, don’t forget to bring them plenty of hot steaming mugs of tea, with loads of dunking biscuits 💡

gwaelod
    Free Member

I expect this was a MACC request, there are firm rules on this, and the council will get a big bill. The council can’t just “call in the army”.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_Aid_to_the_Civil_Authorities#Military_Aid_to_the_Civil_Community

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

The council getting the big bill and not providing all areas of the city with this service that have this need is where my problem is.

TooTall
    Free Member

the council will get a big bill

Not necessarily – there might have been an offer of assistance.

SBZ – have you let anyone know this nursing home has a problem? Perhaps there were limited resources and someone used a priority system? Perhaps the council cleared council nursing homes – is the one near you a private business? Or would you just prefer to be apathetic and whine on a cycling forum?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

No, the council asked and are being billed. edinburgh cooncillor on RAdio Scotland last night bumming themselves about what a great job they’re doing by getting someone else in to do the hard work, suddenly very coy on how much it’ll cost.

pixelmix
    Free Member

Wouldn’t cost as much to clear if they cleared the snow before it turned to 3″ of solid ice. There are streets in town which are absolutely lethal yesterday and today.

I saw a clip online the other day of snow sweeping machines (like those little pavement road sweepers) they send round all of the bike lanes in Copenhagen while it is snowing. By running whenever it snows, the snow never gets to lie, and it doesn’t then have to be chipped away when it turns to solid ice a few days later.

If CEC actually employed enough people to constantly keep the roads and one side of the pavements clear, they could presumably save a packet in clear up costs (and the inevitable claims which are about to be submitted from people falling over!)

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’m sure it said on local news the other day that (Yorkshire) that they were using prisoners to clear snow.

cynic-al
    Free Member

In reports I saw the Cooncil accepted it would cost alot. Who’s to know if it was justified or not?

They’re certainly getting the PR out of it, but you would expect decisions like this to be made carefully.

And no I was not out clearing snow from my local injured-pigeon respite home.

pixelmix
    Free Member

but you would expect decisions like this to be made carefully

:mrgreen:

ftr1873
    Free Member

Sometimes our lads help out with various tasks like this, it can be a good opportunity to develop more junior staff, particularly aspiring commanders at junior level. Yep, clearing snow can be fairly simple but the lessons are still there.

Kit
    Free Member

In Polwarth there were 6 guys from a stone masons out clearing both sides of the pavements. Good job, and a substantial amount cleared. Might as well do something if they can’t get regular work.

cynic-al
    Free Member

LOLs at pixelmix, I walked into that one.

Drac

Edinburgh seems to be the new London.

Closes down with a bit snow and needs the army to sort them out.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I saw these guys on the news last night. They were trying to clear ice with what looked like rubber shovels.

mos

I thought everything in scotland was done for free anyway because the english paid for it?
    At least thats what i’ve read on here somewhere.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Mos – edinburgh i full of english people so you might be correct there… 😛

Hohum
    Free Member

I thought that there was only 200 of them out and about yesterday, so they would have to be a bit picky about where they went.

ebygomm
    Free Member

I saw a clip online the other day of snow sweeping machines (like those little pavement road sweepers) they send round all of the bike lanes in Copenhagen while it is snowing.

Presumably you’d also like the tax levels of Denmark too?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Edinburgh has at least on mini snow plough for pavemnents and cycle lanes – I saw it in use

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I thought they’d moved the army in because deliveries of vegetable oil weren’t getting through, no?

Drac

Edinburgh has at least on mini snow plough for pavemnents and cycle lanes – I saw it in use

We have 3 in our town so I’d hope so, they stick ploughs on the the front of the ride on mowers.

pixelmix
    Free Member

Presumably you’d also like the tax levels of Denmark too?

My point was that if the council had employed the approach seen in Denmark, that might save them the hassle and expense of getting the army into clear ice from the pavement. No Danish taxation required.

Mind you, the tram system would probably pay for a few gritters and employees, but that’s a whole different thread.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Then there’s the mess that the roads are in now that the snow is going. Potholes everywhere.

Drac

Oh yes that is a right mess Zulu all the lovely resurfaced roads they’d just finished from last year are wrecked agian.

trailertrash

The council getting the big bill and not providing all areas of the city with this service that have this need is where my problem is.

I read this too and I don’t get it. The army get paid out of the public purse anyway, why does it cost the council (i.e. us) extra to have them spend time doing this rather than doing army stuff at Dreghorn? I’m not at my brightest today, someone please explain….

druidh
    Free Member

trailertrash – Member

I read this too and I don’t get it. The army get paid out of the public purse anyway, why does it cost the council (i.e. us) extra to have them spend time doing this rather than doing army stuff at Dreghorn? I’m not at my brightest today, someone please explain….

Yep – I’m missing that one too. It’s an oft-stated argument that the helicopter flights used for Mountain Rescue and the like would have to be flown anyway as the crews require training, therefore we don’t need to charge for Mountain Rescue. Isn’t this much the same thing?

It makes me wonder though – do the services get paid extra for the tattoo?

chickenman

I’ve really enjoyed driving about town the last 10 days: Everybody going at 10mph, and everyone driving carefully. It doesn’t take any longer to get to places than normal! I woudn’t be suprised if there had actually been fewer crashes than normal (that’s “creches” if you live in Morningside!).
    Today, however, everyone who owns a car was out in it! 🙁
    Icy pavements not much fun for the peds though; the town staring to look like the Ortho Out patients with stookies galore!!

StefMcDef
    Free Member

That a platoon or whatever of soldiers can be spared for a whole day at the drop of a Glengarry to perform this task begs the question: what the hell else might they have been doing?

Running on the spot? Rubbin’ dubbin’ on their boots? Practising for the Embra Tattoo? What task that is so vital to the defence of the realm is it that we pay them to do in the 50-year intervals between bouts of winter weather severe enough to warrant their intervention?

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

Doubtless this will amaze you, but the British Army is barely over 100,000 strong and they’re already heavily committed doing more than you could possibly imagine.

Whilst they’re available to assist the civil authorities upon request, they can’t be everywhere at the same time.

So, if you’re that bothered, grab a shovel and stag on.

Northwind

pixelmix – Member

“If CEC actually employed enough people to constantly keep the roads and one side of the pavements clear, they could presumably save a packet in clear up costs (and the inevitable claims which are about to be submitted from people falling over!)”

If CEC employed enough people to keep the pavements clear this last week, they’d be instantly bankrupt. In my very humble opinion, anyone who expects no disruption in the conditions we’ve just had is a cretin. Enough resources to deal with a week of the worst snow in 40 years means too much resources the other 2079 weeks.

trailmonkey

*makes note – bailing out everytime it snows – to add to the list of costs that wee eck forgot to add to the figures.

beamers

That a platoon or whatever of soldiers can be spared for a whole day at the drop of a Glengarry to perform this task begs the question: what the hell else might they have been doing?

Let me think.

-Training to go on operations
    -Supporting the training of others who are going on operations
    -On leave prior to going on operations
    -On leave after returning from operations

The answer is they can’t really be spared. Slotting some ice clearing in to the programme would like have been a right pain the behind for all concerned.

pixelmix
    Free Member

If CEC employed enough people to keep the pavements clear this last week, they’d be instantly bankrupt. In my very humble opinion, anyone who expects no disruption in the conditions we’ve just had is a cretin. Enough resources to deal with a week of the worst snow in 40 years means too much resources the other 2079 weeks.

I’m no suggesting that we should see no disruption, but given that Edinburgh council has not carried out much rubbish collection or road repairs for the last two weeks, presumably these employees could be redeployed of keeping streets clear?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I think they did a damn fine job and I am certain that the people driving the gritters and ploughs were redeployed from elsewhere in the council

You can’t do much without equipment tho. What are these other people you want to redeploy to use? What to transport them to where they are needed?

I say gritters on the main road I am on several times a day all hours of the day and night – the amount of snow was just too much to cope with. Gritted in teh evening before the snow fall, ploughed and gritted again in the day, covered in snow 2 hourts later.

I think the council did a damn fine job in keeping anything open.

pixelmix
    Free Member

You can’t do much without equipment tho.

How much would it cost to have a couple of gritters / snow ploughs kept in a shed somewhere?

I am sure that a number of people in the council have done a sterling job over the past few weeks. It does seem a bit ridiculous though that Central Scotland should grind to a halt on Monday. It was barely below freezing on Monday, and yet there was chaos across the city.

There wasn’t exactly biblical weather this week – there was one week of winter. Should that really merit having the army brought in to clear streets in Edinburgh?

Obviously none of us has the figures for expenditure, but I would be interested to see what the council is spending on reimbursing the army vs what they could have paid to have kept the streets clear with their own resources (had they been suitably resourced).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Army Clearing Snow in Edinburgh – Political Stunt?’ is closed to new replies.