Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Argh! sizing dilema
  • Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Cotic Solaris.

Medium has 23.8 ETT and Large has 24.6 ETT.

The med is identical to my large 5spot and I run that with a 90mm stem, but should I go all modern and long front centre, then correct the reach with a 70mm stem to bring the bars back in?

Its a nightmare!

I’m 6ft by the way.

chakaping
    Free Member

Have you tried a shorter stem on your other bike?

Might be worth doing that first (and wider bars perhaps) as it affects more than just reach.

kelvin

SHORT STEM!!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

What else does it affect chapaking?

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Bike fit?

chakaping
    Free Member

steering and position on bike

fenred
    Free Member

Whats width bars are you running on the 5spot?

I’ve recently switched to 29er and dropped 10mm stem but gained 25mm in bar width…Feels just about bang on.

Northwind

Well, you could ask on a forum for advice on a bike that nobody’s ridden yet. Or, you could ask Cotic, who will give you good advice.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Oh, I’m sorry, I didn’t realise that other bikes don’t have this very same issue between sizes.

Silly old me.

bol

And I think their advice will be go bigger with a shorter stem. Apparently the frames are 10mm longer than the equivalent Soul, but a 10mm shorter stem is recommended. I’m going to start off with a 70mm stem on my XL and probably try shorter still if it feels like it would still fit alright.

chakaping
    Free Member

I may be wrong, but isn’t Kelvin connected to Cotic?

His comment seems fairly decisive.

Candodavid
    Free Member

can’t believe you still havn’t made your mind up yet

kelvin

My short stem comment was purely my own personal opinion, the large size with a shorter stem would be my advice based on what Scienceofficer currently rides, the fact he’s 6ft, and having followed the development of the Solaris (which you can read about yourself, at the bottom of the Solaris product page on the Cotic website). Check with Cy or Paul at Cotic for their advice about sizing and handling, they’ll know better than me (or anyone).

metalheart
    Free Member

I had a similar dilemma over a Soul.

I’m a smudge unde 6′ and was persuaded by Cotic that a medium with a 90mm stem was the way to go.

I went down this route (with a layback pin) and at the start I was seat as far back as it would go…

Now I’m on a 70mm stem with 685 wide bars with the saddle a little further forward to help climbing.

My discussions with Cotic re the Solaris are all short stem biased in advice (as per Kelvin’s post ^^^). Speak to Cotic though, I’ve always found them pretty helpful and happy to give you 5 minutes to chat things through. They also answer emails pretty swiftly too.

It depends whether you want long and racy or short and chuckable (it’s all their on their product pages I think).

Take yer pick… :mrgreen:

PJM1974
    Free Member

You can make a long frame feel fit with a short stem, which may improve the handling. A short frame with a long stem is going to be a dog.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Argh! sizing dilema’ is closed to new replies.