Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Argh! Housing stress!
  • Sue_W
    Free Member

So, in the space of the last few hours:

– my landlady phoned to say she’s putting the house I currently rent up for sale this weekend

– had a message to say the house I am in the middle of buying (with wo-man cave) has apparently just been sold privately to someone else for more money

– so I then put an offer in for my ‘back-up’ property, and then got caught up ina bidding war

To say I am now stressed would be an understatement 🙁

Why in the hell can people not stick to an agreement if they have accepted an offer for their house?!?

trail_rat
    Free Member

i put a time bound offer in at 9am this morning at full asking price after i got bombed out on my last house by a property developer offering way over the valuation.

its only been on market three days and im the first and currently only viewer but im pretty sure they will have folk wanting to view over weekend 🙁

1 hour 20 to go …… still no news

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

🙁 Bummer.

People are bastids like that. It’ll come out right in the end

davidjones15
    Free Member

Believe that Karma will come back and bite them all on their bums.

globalti
    Free Member

I’m proud to say the when I sold my batchelor house I had a low offer from a young buyer, which I rejected knowing I could get the full price. Then I accepted a full offer from a young couple. Then buyer no. 1 came back with a higher offer, which I declined, saying she should have made me a decent offer in the first place as I had warned her agent.

So by sticking to my word I deprived myself of £2500. Oh well.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

So by sticking to my word I deprived myself of £2500.

You, sir, are mad.

surfer
    Free Member

I did the same thing and it cost me circa £10k. I dont regret it.

captaincarbon
    Free Member

Cant put a price on a good gloat globalti.. good on ya!

ART

Grrr, house buying/ selling is testing, make no mistake. Crack open the wine later on, have a rant, get outside for the weekend. Then re-group, decide on your max for the ‘back up’, stick to it & get back on rightmove/ ringing round agents. Plenty more caves out there for you to fill. 🙂

MRanger156
    Free Member

I have an offer accepted on a house and now the vendor is digging their heels about finding a new place. Just cost me £2k in stamp duty as I wont complete in time for the FTB holiday.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

globalit – doing the right thing has no cost. Anyone who reneges on a deal is lower than a worm

blades2000
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    globalti – doing the right thing has no cost. Anyone who reneges on a deal is lower than a worm

agreed

br
    Free Member

Why in the hell can people not stick to an agreement if they have accepted an offer for their house?!?

Its only an agreement once you’ve exchanged – look at it from the other side, what would happen if, for example, you suddenly lost your job and couldn’t afford to now buy?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

In Scotland an accepted offer is binding. Gazumping rarely happens

TPTcruiser

Hang on, gazzumped! A bidding war for a property? Are we out of a recession.
    Sigh, or is this the never ending South East England property bubble?

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

That simply does not happen in South Yorkshire. Mainly because no one is buying houses that are for sale round here!

yossarian
    Free Member

You, sir, are mad.

No, no he isn’t. There’s more to life than making a profit off people.

StuF

Hang in there, we had an offer accepted on a house 6 months ago – that was then rejected as someone came in at 10k over our offer through another estate agent.

But we had an offer on our back up property accepted which we’re now in and the first house is still on rightmove as stc. And in fact where we are now is actually much better location so it did work out for the best in the end.

Good luck

whimbrel
    Free Member

You, sir, are mad.

Your word, sir, is obviously not to be trusted.

hofnar
    Free Member

See this as the opportunity to find the place with a perfect woman cave.

Don’t worry it can always be worse. My offer took three months to get verbally accepted(they couldn’t find one of the owners) then took another 4 months to get it in writing and have some land added. Then had to go to a judge as some minors owned like 2% of it meaning the would get peanuts in any case. Completed in 11 months by that time I had been waiting of work for two months waiting to be able to start renovating.

willard

Sue,

I know how stressful house moving can be (two weeks in new place today), but it was a nightmare during the last few weeks.

Bad luck on losing your woman cave, but I think you’ll be fine. Just crack open a bottle of something New World and chilled and try and relax a bit tonight.

Trail_rat, fingers crossed for you!

Sue_W
    Free Member

Thanks guys for the positive messages

Being guzzumped (in North Wales!) is bad enough, but combined with the landlady simultaneously putting the house I rent up for sale, means I am somewhat worried about being stuck for somewhere to live … and my bikes will not be happy if that happens 🙁

Just wish people would be a bit more honest and a bit less greedy …

BigJohn

So by sticking to my word I deprived myself of £2500

er, no you didn’t. What’s to say the higher bidders would have completed?

trail_rat
    Free Member

well i won in the end …. they asked for 5k more to take it off the market but decided it was worth it to me.

2 man caves and a fair bit of land to go with !

chakaping
    Free Member

Buy the house you live in now!

Seriously though, something else will come up. Don’t get stressed.

MRanger156
    Free Member

Getting an offer accepted is the easy part.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Mranger – im in scotland

I managed to get them to agree to 23rd march complete as well so double timing the mortage application

Had to be a sign on friday i put offer in our house by madness came on radio then after i got the call saying accepted it came on again !

Sue_W
    Free Member

trail_rat – that’s great news … two man caves = awesome 🙂

I took the weekend off from house worries, hung out with friends and went biking 🙂 Back to reality today, but fingers are firmly crossed that an alternative (wo)man cave will be purchased so I can move before the house I’m renting get sold out from under me …

flippinheckler
    Free Member

I wouldn’t of though your landlady could just kick you out, expect she’s given you notice, a mate of mine works for an estate agent in Rhos on Sea, let me know what your looking for in a house and he will give me the heads up on any new houses that come on the market that may fit you bill.

FuzzyWuzzy

Good luck with the search, I remember being pissed at losing about £800 in solicitor’s/survey fees etc. when I got shafted on the first house I tried to buy but ended up somewhere that was better and cheaper a couple of weeks later.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Argh! Housing stress!’ is closed to new replies.