Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • arg…brake cable to short and I'm off to the Alps on Thursday
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

Help!!!

I’m off to the Alps next week and I’m sending the bike out on thursday morning. I’ve just built up the new bike, and to my horror found that my rear XT hose is to short 🙁

Have scoured the bike shops of edinburgh to no avail, and more worryingly I can’t even see then online. Any idea what hose I need for a 2012 XT set of brakes. Apparently the hose has to come with an attached banjo???

Thanks

tpbiker
    Free Member

thanks, that looks like it’ll do the job.

not cheap are they….my rear brake only cost 60 quid from rose!…if i thought it would come in time I’d be tempted to buy the complete unit and try to flog mine as spares…

jameso

Why do we always end up building bikes a week before an Alps trip? )

Did it once and got away with it.. but never again. The worst kind of bedding-in test! Take spares / bleed kit etc.

dantsw13

Try superstar for a much cheaper one and v quick delivery.

tpbiker
    Free Member

+1 Jameso, I have well and truly learned my lesson.

I had a look at superstar but the hoses are all 2.3 mm, which I believe is to big. I need 2.1.

What I can’t understand is why my brakes appear to be the only ones on earth that I can’t just buy the cable, then attach the banjo afterwards. I can buy these locally

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/shimano/m980-xtr-cuttable-disc-brake-hose-ec029022#features

which fits an XTR 985 brake. The one in CRC also fits a 985 brake but has a banjo attached. Am I missing something obvious or can’t I just use my existing banjo and reattach it?

Whilst CRC will probably be able to get me it in time it’ll be tight, given their current delivery times, and even if I do get it wednesday I’ll have zero time to attach it and test it out.

Currently the brake is attached via some bodged cabling and gaffertape. looks awful, but i fear it will have to do !

dantsw13

Superstar do a fitting kit for all shimano brakes – check out the PDF link on the hyd hose page for which kit you require.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘arg…brake cable to short and I'm off to the Alps on Thursday’ is closed to new replies.