Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Aren't power stations ace?
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

I know, I know. They consume vast quantities of natural resources and give rain a pH of 2 but they're spiffing examples of engineering. And they produces Giga Watts of lovely electricity so we can all play with our gadgets and have romantic lighting and hot showers (not at the same time) and stuff.

This is Drax. One of the big guys.

I'm gonna have a drive down to Widnes to see Fiddlers Ferry at the weekend. It's got a 660ft chimney!

Am I sad?
    Should I get a SS and some sandals?
    Or are power stations (Kraftwerken) really interesting?

Discuss

DS

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Can't beat a nice power station…

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

derek_starship
    Free Member

Please remember folks – it's steam – NOT SMOKE – coming from those there cooling towers in Elfins second pic.

Ewan
    Free Member

Why is there a flying pig in the second photo?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Was that taken with a 50mm lens, and not cropped?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

nickc

Ewan Ewan Ewan…..

Shakes head, yoof of today

Haribo
    Free Member

well they keep me in a job. I would add there is something about a refinery at night (not mine btw), looks like a metropolis.

what SLR settings for night pics like this btw?

16stonepig
    Free Member

Please remember folks – it's steam – NOT SMOKE – coming from those there cooling towers in Elfins second pic.

(cough)Water vapour, not steam!(cough)

coffeeking
    Free Member

They're actually questionable in terms of engineering TBH, it's all fairly large-scale, and other than the turbines nothing is any more complex than large pipework and basic pumps. They're made that way so they don't fail. They're a mass of tangled tubing and high temps and pressures, but nothing ground breaking inside them.

cough)Water vapour, not steam!(cough)

Steam is a mixture of water vapour and sometimes water droplets, so I don't see the need for the pedantry.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I like them. We deliver a lot of comms kit to the sub stations and we get very close. It's great. Went to Sandwich power staion, now disused and it was real spooky. Stood right inside the disused cooling tower.

God I'm sad.!

derek_starship
    Free Member

Coffeeking – I know where you live. And I 'm bringing my friend.

Harry_the_Spider

Nice one Fred Elfin! That's Agecroft.

Anybody who took part in a race that I'm no longer anything to do with a couple of weeks ago went round the valley that Agecroft used to blight.

cp

you can ride along the side of the canal across the back of fiddlers ferry if you want to 🙂

midgebait
    Free Member

I like them. I might go for a walk around our turbine hall this afternoon 🙂

jon1973
    Free Member

Why is there a flying pig in the second photo?

Clearly, you DO need an Education. 🙂

16stonepig
    Free Member

I don't see the need for the pedantry.

Are you in the right place?

Ewan
    Free Member
    takisawa2

Rugeley used to do open days, that was good. Agreed, not really high tech but its the scale of things I like. The new chimney at Rugeley was made by continous pouring of concrete & raising of the shuttering, was on that Richard hammond thing on TV.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

Ah ha.

no no, Pink Floyd 😉

IGMC

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

The other weekend, I visited the acest of the ace power stations. Ben Cruachan, aka the Hollow Mountain. It's hydro, so it's pretty green, it's built inside the mountain (1km bus trip along the tunnel), the turbines can generate 440 Mwatt and the turbine hall is about the size of a cathedral. It's on the side of lach Awe, in itself stunning, but with some ospreys nesting opposite.
    Clicky for not very good website

plop_pants
    Free Member

Used to work at Dungeness, best job I've ever had, really interesting stuff. Best bit was the tour of the reactors I went on, Absolutely fascinating and a bit scary at the same time, especially when stood on the pile cap, just 12ft above the fuel rods!

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Ben Cruachan turbine hall – doesn't realy get the size though

ourmaninthenorth

Heysham nuclear power station, near Morcambe. Such an attractive sight….

iain1775
    Free Member

pylons to this thread

molgrips
    Free Member

Is Rugeley the one you can see from the SITS course?

Nuclear FTW, anyway.

Trawsfynydd.

nickc

Nice scene spoilt by the dirty great lump of concrete….

molgrips
    Free Member

True, true. But as power stations go….?

donald
    Free Member

LOL at whippersnapper

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Those are pathetic, compared to this bad boy

KonaTC

We need power stations

Big nuclear and coal ones, we have hundreds or years of coal buried under Britain. Because one day Gazprom will introduce rationing to drive up the cost of gas. My favourite was the small coal fired Llynfi Power Station, long gone of course.

mtb_rossi
    Free Member

ooOOoo …

Yes but thats a fusion reactor, not a fission one 😉

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Rannoch hydro power station

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

What tyres for riding power stations?

derek_starship
    Free Member

I went on a guided tour of Dinorwig power station when I was an apprentice at GEC Traction. Dinorwig is a pump storage hydroelectric station located within a mountain. When demand requires, water from a man made tarn drops down vertical pipes to turn the water turbines and generate electricity that can be injected into the national grid within 10 minutes. At night, the water is pumped back to the tarn using off-peak power. It is an amazing place to visit.

mtb_rossi
    Free Member

The future of power? Quite possibly…

The National Ignition Facility, experiemntal nuclear fusion reactor. Which sort of looks like a giant pencil sharpner.

Only a matter of time before the first commercial reactors are built

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Fusion….fission….whatever you call it, best to keep it a a few million miles away I reckon 😉

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I like the Stream Machine. Eco centre down the road uses one.

mtb_rossi
    Free Member

Fusion is safe 🙂 Fission, not so safe if its badly managed.

Fusion is safe because all the can happen if something goes wrong is the reaction stops and you're just left with an unfused hydrogen isotope.

Fission is bad since it's dirty and emits horrible gamma radiation along with any fission reaction. And is woefully ineffecient for the amount of fuel required.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Aren't power stations ace?’ is closed to new replies.