Viewing 15 posts - 81 through 95 (of 95 total)
  • Are you turning your lights off at 10pm?
  • flippinheckler
    Free Member

They gave Germany till 11 to pull out of Begium.

seven
    Free Member

This day 4 years later..

[url=https://flic.kr/p/f21exF]Wounded (2013 WK27)[/url] by Nessie_101, on Flickr

A page form my grandfather’s diary. Sobering indeed

mrlebowski
    Free Member

What started out as a thread about remembrance turned into a complete **** disaster by a numbe of utter **** who are only interested in their own agendas.

VERY sad.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Days like today make me go back a read bits of Niall Ferguson’s, The pity of war.

Can’t think of a better conclusion about the whole terrible episode that “it was nothing less than the greatest error of modern history.”

Lights off.

Cougar

A page form my grandfather’s diary. Sobering indeed

Indeed. Thanks for sharing.

JulianA
    Free Member

No we haven’t observed this particular ceremony. Didn’t see the point.

However, as well as having spent countless hours in Flanders and the Somme, we think a lot about my wife’s grandfather, who was first a dispatch rider and then an ambulance driver on the Western Front. His wedding photo hangs on our wall and we think about him a lot, although neither of us knew him. He died of stomach cancer during WWII, which may have been a result of being gassed in WWI.

We shall also be going to Ypres next year (for the umpteenth time) to lay flowers on the grave of one of my relatives. I didn’t know him, but my grandfather would have done, and that brings it a lot closer.

We care very much about remembrance, candles or no. As I’m sure many others do.

rhbrhb
    Free Member

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Just had one of my “friends” on facebook moaning about the lack respect in his street as there are lights on.

Oh the irony. 🙄

chewkw
    Free Member

I am watching the channel Yesterday on Battleplan now. 😀

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

FunkyDunc – Member

….. I do find turning the lights out and lighting a candle a bit odd. But if it helps make it a more poignant moment for some then fair enough I guess.

It’s in reference to a comment made by the then Foreign Secretary, Viscount Edward Grey, who said on the outbreak of war :

thegreatape
    Free Member

one days I asked him what he did

WW2 not 1 for my grandfather, but much the same reaction when I asked him about that. There probably aren’t words to describe it properly. I hope I would have the courage those that willingly went had, regardless of what was behind it all.

CountZero

rossatease – Member
    Had that Harry down here today to open another mawkish example of this country doing the wrong thing, celebrating an event caused by it’s slavish obsequeince to the very Monarchy that caused the conflagration, so no i won’t be joining you thanks just the same.
    My Grandad did his bit, got kicked in the face by a horse struggling with a Gun carriage and disfigured his entire life. He didn’t want to go, but it was considered un patriotic and folk who didn’t had their lives made unbearable by the masses of servants of a class system that imprisoned the bourgeois.
    Nothing to celebrate, nothing heroic about that War and today people are still suffering it’s consequence, sometimes the manipulation of events makes me sick to the stomach.

It was our monarchy who invaded Belgium on route to invading France?
    That’s a remarkable bit of historical revisionism.
    🙄

konabunny
    Free Member

What started out as a thread about remembrance turned into a complete **** disaster by a numbe of utter **** who are only interested in their own agendas.

there was fighting on a thread about war?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

No, I will give it a miss. Do you always mark the anniversary of the start of the war(s)?

Two of my dads uncles were Snipers on the sommes and his father was in the RFC. All survived. Still, none of us can be bothered with this round of tosh.

Do we commemorate all the wars that we’ve started around the world? We’d be putting the lights out and lighting candles every other sodding day.

Watching politicians commemorate WW1 seems only to harden my resolve to not be a part of it.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

All survived. Still, none of us can be bothered with this round of tosh.

Maybe if they hadn’t survived you could all be bothered with this round of tosh ?

I am sure that the Royal British Legion, which is behind this round of tosh, speaks for many families who lost relatives.

But not necessarily your lucky family.

Viewing 15 posts - 81 through 95 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘Are you turning your lights off at 10pm?’ is closed to new replies.