Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 115 total)
  • Are you Tough enough – Army cycling Union
  • Bigface0_0
    Free Member

Any one ever done this event, thinking of doing it???
    http://www.armycyclingunion.co.uk/AYTE/index.htm

njee20
    Free Member

Yep, done it both years, great event, enter.

I have a score to settle, I destroyed my chainrings in the first one and had to walk half a lap back to the start, then last year I tried to ride a 6 hour XC race, crashed, and blew up spectacularly.

This year I will finish dammit!

I'm hoping that the Dalby NPS will filter out a lot of the quick boys too, leaving me a chance of a decent position!

mtb_rossi
    Free Member

No. Im not tough enough 🙁

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

Rossi, You should bring ya camera!!!

mtb_rossi
    Free Member

Possibly. Where actually is it?

I was in the Territorial Army for 12 months in my mid 20s and that was tough enough.

njee20
    Free Member

It's very near the Porridge Pot Hill Gorrick Venue, Deepcut way.

Good course, last year it was insanely loamy, it's looking like that may be the case again frankly!

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

mtb_rossi
    Free Member

Sounds like it could be a laugh. I'll defo give it some thought

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

sounds good, really looking forward to it been on a downer since getting back from Mayhem, This time last week I was in a field having the best weekend of the year with all my bike buddies!!! Seems a bit rubbish now sat in my office bored….

pants
    Free Member

Ha, ha, I am up there 2moz doing course prep I will get the watering cans out!!!!!

The Course has changed some what this year and at the moment it is bang on 8 Miles.

It will be fun, join the Army for the day LoL!!!!!!! Move It.

njee20
    Free Member

It's a far better course than Mayhem! Generally been a decent compromise between fireroad/singletrack too. My only criticism was the race starts, in 2008 the 2 hour race started 15 minutes behind the 4 hour one, although I think there's longer gaps now to avoid traffic.

They've got the Gorrick team involved, so it's run really well.

singletrackmind

The course is much better than Mayhem. But kinda soft as njee says. I did the 4 hour last year on Speedkings and binned it on every lap as there wasnt enough 'bite', and I am seriously rubbish. Its a singletrackfest and hard work, very much like a Gorrick .
    Being a div I have entered the 6 hour male Vet this year. Will be on the FS and not the Zaskar, with nobbly tyres .

radoggair
    Free Member

think the guy in the pic needs some cornering lessons !!

njee20
    Free Member

I reckon he's pedalling still, hence the slightly dodgy 'inside foot down'.

Definitely need some pretty grippy tyres though, I really can't remember what I used last year, which is annoying, as I want to use sommat grippier this year!

pants
    Free Member

Been riding the Cse all week on Small block eights and Ignitors, the Ignitors have faired best, but not washed totally out on the eights, they will be good for the speed etc.

Couple of rooty ups, 1 new to the cse.

Jason
    Free Member

I did a lap of last years course after work today. It is all dry and dusty. The bracken is overgrown in a couple of places, but I am sure that will soon be cleared away. All in all a great course.

Pants, Lou and me are riding over there tomorrow afternoon, so will keep a look out for you – seeing a you have been in hiding for the past few weeks…

Don't forget that pre-entries close on Tuesday.

Jason
    Free Member

radoggair – Member

think the guy in the pic needs some cornering lessons !!
    That is good cornering for Pants 😀 but why is he wearing full Winter gear? This race is in Summer!!!!

tony24
    Free Member

this may be my first event i ever enter looks fun 😀

radoggair
    Free Member

With his weight that far back and to still be pedalling and his front wheel startin to turn the other way whilst his bike is at that angle…………. well he's gonna crash aint he

Can i also point out……………………… How big are the race boards?? Thats gonna kill your aerodynamics 😉

njee20
    Free Member

It's because events in the South get more than 3 riders in each cat, so Timelaps need to be able to read them 😉

dobo
    Free Member

its a great course, last years was better still. i was sooo late to the finish line last year it was funny, also very nice to chill out at the end in the sun on the grass seeing people collecting prizes.
    cant make this years as im a bit injured still and slow

br
    Free Member

Nobby Nic (F) / Larsen (R) combo, or is more 'grip' needed on the rear?

njee20
    Free Member

I seem to recall I went Ralph/Fred last year, and found it a bit slippery towards the end, a Larsen will be fine though.

I'll stick with Ron/Fred this year I think.

pants
    Free Member

Well that was a toughy in the sun, the course is pretty much clear of the bracken now, only a couple of sections such as Watership Down, Ridgeline, Severn Sisters and Ant Hill Mob to do 🙂

Those who know it have a go, it has been changed from last year though!

shortcut

Looking forward to riding the course.

Shame I won't be able to do the event as I am riding in Morzine.

It is a good event and well recommended. It is very tough as a course though!

njee20
    Free Member

Don't suppose you know if the trolls are riding it this week Pants?

spikyjames
    Free Member

Well i'll be there next week riding 6 hour pairs, looking forward to it.

James

Karinofnine

Oh surprise surprise, no category for women 40+, why do we get lumped in with women 18+ ?

Planning to ride the South Downs that day, then saw the flyer for the event and thought about doing it instead, but it annoys me slightly that there isn't a category for the senior women.

njee20
    Free Member

Would you rather ride with all the women though and have a race, or be the only one in a category? It's always a difficult one, but I'd always rather have people to race against personally!

Karinofnine

Would I be the only one?

What if there was a 40+ category, maybe it would tempt/encourage other vet women to enter?

If there were a 40+ cat we would go off at the same time anyway, so we would be having a race, but with the prospect of winning a place/prize (adjusted according to the numbers in the category/amount of sponsorship available for that cat)

pants
    Free Member

Karinofnine… sorry for no 40+ Ladies cat, but I have learnt from past experience, Not enough entries, the Army Cyling Union is a non profit organisation, I dont want to waste money on trophies and prizes etc..

With regards to the Trolls Njee we are pre-riding the course on Tuesday meeting @ Deeptcut Spar @ 1900hrs riding for 1915hrs..

spikyjames
    Free Member

Was hoping there would be a pre ride, will have to try and make the trip down 😀

James

Karinofnine

oh, maybe I shouldn't 'waste money' on the entry fee then?
    I appreciate the dilemma, I had the same thing when I used to organise races myself.
    Why don't you advertise a 40+ category for women and if not enough turn up then combine the two cats on the start line? That way you may encourage more entrants. Just a thought. I hope you have a good event.

njee20
    Free Member

Cool, I'll try and come along to that then!

Taff
    Free Member

I think I'll be popping along to that one. Got the racing bug back after the Wiggle event today

pants
    Free Member

Course Details, ignore the time as it was with a group.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/38524541

spikyjames
    Free Member

Still on for tomorrow night pants?

pants
    Free Member

Yepp still on! Just got home from clearing the Cse! Only Watership Down and The Hangover to do now, what a beast it's been lol….

spikyjames
    Free Member

Cool, looking forward to it.

njee20
    Free Member

Nice bit of rain today to dampen the dust too, happy times!

I shall see some of you later!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 115 total)

The topic ‘Are you Tough enough – Army cycling Union’ is closed to new replies.