Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • Are you ready for winter if it turns snowy and doomy?
  • ohnohesback
    Free Member
    scaredypants

*orders more beans & shotgun shells*

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Are you going to blast the ice off your car windscreen?

This year’s ice melt has broken the 2007 record by an an area larger than the state of Texas.

I thought Wales was the SI unit for large areas.

zippykona

Is Iceland getting warmer?

zilog6128

I have my Ice Spikers at the ready. Bring it on.

atlaz
    Free Member

Got winter tyres on car. Spikes for mountain bike on the way. Supermarkets are 2 mins walk from flat. I’m set.

sharkbait
    Free Member

No…. I’ve got plenty of logs for next winter but this winter is looking a bit dodgy as stuff I cut in the spring could be drier 🙁

scaredypants

Are you going to blast the ice off your car windscreen?

No, but I’m already overstocked with cheap vodka

thomthumb
    Free Member

texas ~ 90 Wales’

i’m hoping to get some use out of the Ice spike tyres i have. So far cost id around £8/km. I’d like to get at least down to 25p/km. 😉

firestarter
    Free Member

Rigid bike, ice spike tyres and rohloff. Think I’m set 😉

maccruiskeen

I’m ready. 😛

binners

I’ve got woods behind my house with deer in them. So I’m going to start felling trees for fuel, and laying traps. That’s me sorted.

*Wanders off to get an axe and a snipers rifle*

fasthaggis

Log supply ..Check
    Snow Shovels ..Check
    Snow Tyres ..Check
    New Ski gear ..Check

Ready …..but

It won’t snow now,will it? 😥

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Food supply?
    Coping with possible power cut supplies?
    Standby heating arangements?
    Winter car kit?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Mehhhh, 2007 wasn’t that bad was it? I rememebr 2009/2010 being really bad though. Having said that Reading does have a perculiar microclimate.

If it get’s really bad I’ll buy another bottle of de-icer, or maybe take the MTB rather than the road bike for bike commute days. Winter’s in this country are a bit pants.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

3 decent winters? Dare I dream…?

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Let it snow let it snow let it snow…

joao3v16
    Free Member

This year’s ice melt has broken the 2007 record by an an area larger than the state of Texas.

Not if you’ve got Americanist readers – most of them don’t realise there’s a world beyond America

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Bring it on.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I have a scarf

Think that’s all I need!

emsz
    Free Member

Ive got thermal underwear, the knickers go up past my tummy and the vest goes over my bum attractive? Not at all LOL, but very very toasty 😆

joao3v16
    Free Member

One key element of my winter preparation is to make sure I start leaving my laptop at the office.

Then, if it snows & I can’t get to work, I get a day off rather than having to work from home.

😀

mark90
    Free Member

Got the quad bike booked in for MOT on thursday ready for winter. It’s a total hoon in the snow 😆 But we probably won’t get much, especially in sunny Brizzle 😕

zilog6128

Food supply?

Check, tinned wild alaskan salmon was on offer in Waitrose this week so I stocked up

Coping with possible power cut supplies?

Kindle with 8 week battery life, check

Standby heating arangements?

New wooly jumper & slipper socks, check

Winter car kit?

Nope, but I’ll be laughing at all the stuck car drivers as I cruise past on my Ice Spikers!

D0NK

what ratio you running on your bike MTG I find 32:16 bloody hard work for just an inch or two of snow.

Despite having pram wheels our dinky car has managed fine last few winters, can walk to the supermarket, riding to work in deep snow is fun for a couple of goes, after that i can get the train, if they get cancelled I won’t go in work, chances are they’ll be shut anyway 🙂

tracknicko
    Free Member

aside from some remote scottishists in this thread i’m pretty sure a sensible person could do 0 prep and survive.

its only snow. we live in a desperately over populated bit of land. you aren’t ever that far from help.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Yup, I have a 9:Zero:7… 8)

woody2000

Just bought some snow studs for the bike, so you can all rest easy as it will almost certainly not snow now! 🙂

jam-bo

aside from some remote scottishists in this thread i’m pretty sure a sensible person could do 0 prep and survive.

this. however if the local costa run out of supplies then there will be unrest…

allthepies
    Free Member

+1 🙂

bigjim

just bought 4 season tyres for the car so it isn’t going to snow now. bought studded bike tyres last winter and it was super mild.

binners

Well done Woody! We owe you one! 😀

Which tyres did you get? And where from. Might invest. Just in case.

I bloody love riding in snow. Its a right old laugh! As opposed to driving in the snow. Which isn’t.

ransos
    Free Member

I have a warm coat and a pair of boots. I’ve yet to experience a winter that defeats this equipment.

woody2000

😀

Schwalbe snow studs from bike-discount @ ~£18 each

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k1040/a11030/snow-stud-120-spikes-19-wire.html

I’ll commute on the MTB if it gets lairy, do a mix of off/on road for some giggles 🙂

tracknicko
    Free Member

this. however if the local costa run out of supplies then there will be unrest…

indeed. i still remember being in london for work one year when it snowed for a day.

they shut the tube and everything! AAAAATRRRRRGGGGHHHHH SNOOOWWWWWWW!

Big-Dave
    Free Member

Got ice spikes for the bike, ice spikes for my shoes and as I work from home a lot of the time I’m happy for the car to stay on the driveway if the weather turns nasty.

After 2010 I also have a couple of snow shovels and a load of rock salt that has never been used as last winter was quite mild.

bikebouy
    Free Member

So long as the trains are running yes.

If they’re not then I’ve got time for a rideout.

Win.
    Win.

zippykona

Got my ice spikers in 2010. Done 7 miles.
    Does any one ride them for 30 miles on tarmac to bed them in as recommended?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘Are you ready for winter if it turns snowy and doomy?’ is closed to new replies.