Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 108 total)
  • Are you mountain biker, but not a thrill seeker?
  • Junkyard
    Free Member

Why do we always end up with some kind of personal confrontation on this website? ro v sfb (aggressor v victim respectively though the later is now counter punching)
    I don’t know either of you personally but PLEASE PLEASE…. sometimes this website reminds me of car drivers gesticulating wildly at each other safe in the knowledge they are actually safely cocooned in their car (office workplace etc) and isolated from the real world consequences of behaving like this.

Just reminds me why I ride solo and therefore conservatively as I cannot afford to have a major spill with no back up to get back on topic.
    Peace you all

clubber
    Free Member

I was thinking more of those who fight for its own sake, and rely uncritically on someone else to tell them who to do it to.

But that’s a very narrow interpretation of one particular bit of a wider speech…

Nico
    Free Member

28 ft waves on the south coast? Coffeeking, I think you should try posting that claim on a surfing forum. 😐

Anonymous
    Free Member

Why do we always end up with some kind of personal confrontation on this website? ro v sfb (aggressor v victim respectively though the later is now counter punching)

the evidence suggests that simon is neither defenseless nor an idiot and is perfectly capable of holding his own in an exchange of views.

you may well ask ‘why do we have such precious souls on this website, who neither enjoy the opportunity for discussion nor have anything useful to contribute to the process’?

Anonymous
    Free Member

that remark undermines your own credibility, even though I have no idea what you look like

i ride a colourful mountain bike wearing lycra, which is why i can state with certainty that such individuals have no credibility 🙂

I disagree, sharing the excitement afterwards is part of the fun, but at the time it stands for itself

you are wrong, but that’s never stopped you posting before, and i guess it won’t in the future

Smee
    Free Member

I just like riding bikes. Big bikes, wee bikes, all bikes – they’re just bikes. Riding bikes is fun.

coffeeking
    Free Member

28 ft waves on the south coast? Coffeeking, I think you should try posting that claim on a surfing forum.

Peak to peak, of course, off Rhossili not the south coast. Recorded by the electronic bouy thing in the bay (thats currently reading 2.3ft). And I did post on (kite)surfing forums at the time (couple of years ago).

Smee – riding a bike isnt inherently fun? Do you find exercise bikes fun? 🙂

IHN

I just like riding bikes around the countryside, be it on the road or off. I like looking at the views, chatting to my riding companions, having a mid/post ride pint, thinking about anything and everything as I pedal along, all that kind of stuff. Sure, there’s a sense of achievement when I manage to get up or down something with some element of finesse or skill (or, sometimes, just alive) but that’s not the main reason I’m out there.

I suppose that’s why I don’t really like trail centres. They’re too much about ‘what’ you’re riding, less about ‘why’ (apologies of that sounds a bit w@nky).

coffeeking
    Free Member

IHN – no apologies needed. What you’re riding is why you’re riding in my case.

Conor
    Free Member

If I didn’t get an adrenaline rush when biking I probably wouldn’t do it!

Nick

It’s just good to be out, be a bit of a shame really if everything had to be on the edge all the time, although of course that can be fun, sometimes it’s nice to just chill, take in the view and do some miles.

Smee
    Free Member

Cofeeking – yes exercise bikes are fun. Depends on your personal definition of fun though doesn’t it.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

I remember the ‘tough’ kids, on their BMXs or skateboards, being able to jump off things. I also remember the amount of injuries they suffered. I know people with bits of metal in them. And now they are approaching middle age, have problems with movement in some joints, etc.

i have been out biking, and seen people clear big jumps, and do stuff I have no intention of doing. I admire their skill and dedication, but see no reason why I should take such risks.

Mountain biking is a sport which sells the image of being ‘extreme’. Indeed, most of these ‘all mountain’ and ‘freeride’ bikes are sold prcisely because of marketing hype, not because you ‘need’ one to enjoy the sport. Granted, they may enable you to feel confident tackling ‘gnarlier’ stuff than you might otherwise, but they don’t actually make you any ‘sexier’, which is what it all comes down to, really, isn’t it? Males vying for female attention, challenging for Alpha Male status, let’s be honest.

Nothing wrong with that; at least biking is a healthier activity than fighting in pubs.

But biking is a sport that allows the ‘ordinary’ individual to compensate for their ‘inadequacies’, by buying fancy bikes.

I used to watch mtb vids, of people like Peaty and them, and think, ‘ooh, I’d like to be able to do that, but I can’t, oh, it must be because they’ve got better bikes than me’. Well, thankfully, I have matured a bit, and recognised that it’s talent, and a lower fear of pain and death than I possess, that enables these guys to do what they do.

So, I realise what my own limitations are. Ok, so I may get a bit frustrated with that, and want to ‘push myself’ beyond my ‘limits’ (I’m sure that adjusting the travel on my fork from 100 to 115mm will make me mare ‘rad’). And occasionally, I may come a cropper, and come back to the knowledge that I’m just an ordinary bod, who just likes biking.

I’ll still buy shiny bits, to help delude myself a little bit more, though…

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

the evidence suggests that simon is neither defenseless nor an idiot and is perfectly capable of holding his own in an exchange of views.

well, I do reject victim status, and I consider ro‘s personal remarks to be rather beside the point

you are wrong, but that’s never stopped you posting before, and i guess it won’t in the future

I think it’s more a matter of different people having different motivations. I think most of us enjoy showing off a little at times, but I know when I’m riding a scary section all my attention is on that, not how it looks.

simonralli2
    Free Member

I know when I’m riding a scary section all my attention is on that, not how it looks.

Heh – when I approach a scary section I am totally focussed on how it looks! (and not on my own good looks) 😀

(Although more often than not I will just hop off the bike and walk down lol.)

footstomper
    Free Member

It has been said by most Bikers at some stage when talking about a particular ride “I left my Brain at the top of that hill” which we all take for granted means that the decent was in some way scary, and if your honest you where probably thinking either that’s only a piddly little slope or f–king hell if he did that he must be crazy.
    Which takes me into my point which is ‘what is one persons most scariest decent is to another extremely easy’, but if that person felt a buzz when doing it then great because no one else should criticize other people just because they do not do the same style of riding as themselves!

Oh and just to clarify I ride easy trails, long hard trails and technical trails and enjoy all immensely. 😀

coffeeking
    Free Member

Cofeeking – yes exercise bikes are fun. Depends on your personal definition of fun though doesn’t it.

But is it the bike riding, or the fact that you’re pushing your fitness that you enjoy? I would imaging you mean the second, therefore it’s not bike that is the subject of your enjoyment, just the vehicle.

I remember the ‘tough’ kids, on their BMXs or skateboards, being able to jump off things. I also remember the amount of injuries they suffered. I know people with bits of metal in them. And now they are approaching middle age, have problems with movement in some joints, etc.

But (as someone who did those things) I dont remember ever considering the outcome, I just enjoyed the experience of doing them. It was undoubtedly partly to do with looking good at that point, as a kid you’re easily affected by peer pressure. That said, I hated football and saw no reason to join in despite being called all the names under the sun for it. For me I’m fairly sure it’s always been about pushing myself and my fears, not worrying about someone else and how it looks to the women. And I think the women like the confidence, not the skill or the “look”.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Footstomper – I know where you are coming from but most of my riding is solo. I bottle quite a bit as I think when you look at something you just think you’ll end up over the handlebars. I think if you see someone achieve a bit of trail, your brain tells you it is in fact possible and you have a go. And you also have people to instruct you as to how to approach the section too and learn.

The down side of course is if you actually clear the section then totally faceplant into soft dirt at the side of a trail, as i did at El Chorro when I cleared the slickrock but then lost control on the following bit of singletrack : D

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

(and not on my own good looks)

given the copious evidence that’s just as well…

kunoichi
    Free Member

Oh my god. I almost can’t believe some of things I have read in this thread. At least it serves to remind me why I only usually read the Classifieds.

Anonymous
    Free Member

Oh my god. I almost can’t believe some of things I have read in this thread.

Sheltered lives… such sheltered lives…

RudeBoy
    Free Member

(and not on my own good looks)

Miiiieeeeaaaaoooooowwww!

Ooh, get her!

coffeeking
    Free Member

kunoichi – care to expand?

Anonymous
    Free Member

kunoichi – care to expand?

never, NEVER, take the bait. it’s just not worth it.

coffeeking
    Free Member

never, NEVER, take the bait. it’s just not worth it.

Is that to him or me 😆

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Miiiieeeeaaaaoooooowwww!

have you not seen simon’s daily self portrait blog ??

not that I’m averse to posting shots of myself:

kunoichi
    Free Member

No, it would be a waste of my time and energy. And coffeeking, I’m not a he….

Anonymous
    Free Member

to you, coffeeking 🙂

BigDummy
    Free Member

I quite like thrills, and am happy to seek them occasionally. But a lot goes on my my bike rides besides looking for thrills. In any given ride I may choose, in no particular order, to seek: thrills, novelty, birds, companionship, a sun-tan, photographs, cake, that pleasant feeling of being quite knackered but not too far from home or somewhere interesting to visit.

🙂

aracer
    Free Member

“Oh my god. I almost can’t believe some of things I have read in this thread.”

No, me neither. Lots of 3rd partys getting worried about people who are perfectly capable of looking after themselves getting “insulted”. Whatever is this forum coming to?

jojoA1
    Free Member

Novelty birds, Big Dummy? I don’t believe I’ve ever ridden with you 😉

gingerflash

I have to feel scared, challenged or even defeated several times on a ride for it to be a truly great ride.

It can be by something fast or technical, up or down, or it might simply be the weather, length or pace of the ride but I don’t get a massive amount of pleasure from riding easy familiar trails at a gentle pace. Obviously the social side of that sort of easy riding is still great, but in terms of the fun to be taken from the pedalling bit, I need to have some kind of thrill.

Bunnyhop

The odd time that I have been thrilled, e.g accidently getting air ( ‘cos I have no skills to do it on purpose), or descending something tricky, then it’s great.
    Mostly I just like getting outdoors, meeting my friends, bird spotting, having banter and a giggle.
    And CAKE.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

I just like being out in the hills, but also like a challenge and the odd one or two bricking it moments. A challenge could be steepness/length of climb, technicality of climb or descent, or length of ride. Good to be a bit nervous from time to time, not all the time, but would not attempt anything I was not 95% confident of making – the 5% chance is quite enough for my advanced years.

If you don’t push yourself a bit you don’t get the personal satisfaction from getting better. Stuff I do routinely now would have had me walking or soiling myself 18 months ago.

IHN

I have to feel scared, challenged or even defeated several times on a ride for it to be a truly great ride.

I’ll remember that for the end of the month. I may send you up “the Ba$tard”. 🙂

IHN

Oh, and what CaptainMainwaring said.

coffeeking
    Free Member

kunoichi – Member
    No, it would be a waste of my time and energy. And coffeeking, I’m not a he….

Sorry, I had no way of knowing as your profile says nothing and you hang out in the classifieds so I’ve no way of finding out through conversation. Either way you dont seem overly capable of conversation (or maybe just dont play well with others) so have a good day. Hope you buy something I sell some day 🙂

If you don’t push yourself a bit you don’t get the personal satisfaction from getting better.

I used to love the fitness pushing fun, back then riding was fun just for riding. Then I lost the fitness and found the scariness, scariness is overpowering and fitness is vey hard to find again!

scu98rkr
    Free Member

I pretty much agree with Big Dummy

I quite like thrills, and am happy to seek them occasionally. But a lot goes on my my bike rides besides looking for thrills. In any given ride I may choose, in no particular order, to seek: thrills, novelty, companionship, a sun-tan, photographs, cake, that pleasant feeling of being quite knackered but not too far from home or somewhere interesting to visit.

But I think theres one point he’s missed out, and thats that mountain biking CAN give all these different experiences.

Alot of other sport arent so diverse for instance I like footy but I cant say I fancy popping out to spend 6+ hours playing footy.

I like being outdoors so maybe I could go and play golf for 6 hours but then I cant mid course try and do something daring which will get my adrenalin going.

The best thing about mountain biking is if you’ve got a bike that isnt too light/heavy you can use it for lots of different types of activity even just transporting your self around ! Where as other with sports/activities theres not so much variety.

Junkyard
    Free Member

kunoichi – your name kind of gave your gender away for me if we ever meet I only hope you dont live up to it!!!! as i suspect does Coffeeking when he googles it!!!

coffeeking
    Free Member

Hmmm, explains a few things.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘Are you mountain biker, but not a thrill seeker?’ is closed to new replies.