Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 94 total)
  • Are you going to buy a 29'er next….
  • the_lecht_rocks

I’m still thinking it’s a bit of industrial propaganda but remain open-minded…….

avdave2

No I’m 5’6″ and while I know that there are 29ers out their that would fit me they tend to look as ridiculous as the 26″ers for those that are 6’5″.

clubber
    Free Member

Nah, I’ve already got one 😉 Next bike will more likely be a 26″ full sus unless 29er full sussers start dropping in price soon.

druidh
    Free Member

More likely I’d buy a Pugsley and a set of 29er wheels.

phutureproof
    Free Member

“No I’m 5’6″ and while I know that there are 29ers out their that would fit me they tend to look as ridiculous as the 26″ers for those that are 6’5″.”

I didn’t look ridiculous on my XL Santa Cruz Nomad! Not in my head anyway! lol!

Seriously though, some FS bikes are fine for 6’5″ beanpoles. Not many, but some.

LoCo
    Free Member

no, there aren’t any decent freeridey ones. maybe next time like the idea of a tallboy, as i’m 6’3ish

the_lecht_rocks

Loco. Nicolai have both the AC and AM in 29r guise now…..

LoCo
    Free Member

ohh do they I’ll have a look, has to be a 2.5″ stroke shock or more so can run the DSP shocks on it. Hadn’t though about Nicolai, cheers.

dazzlingboy

Nicolai have both the AC and AM in 29r guise now….

Yer – been drooling at the prospect. This is however a textbook case of Want as opposed to Need. Should maybe use the ones I have a bit more before thinking about another one……..

LoCo
    Free Member

Think the shocks too short 🙁

ahwiles
    Free Member

not until they do something about the stupid head angles.

scandal 29er = 72degrees! – what the hell is that about?! – that’s a road bike.

etc.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Tried it, not for me.

As per druidh, buy different bikes not “better” ones.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I doubt it but that Santa Cruz carbon 29er HT has got me casting it lustful looks.. 😳

TooTall
    Free Member

ahwiles – try it – the angles work differently with a bigger wheel and trail.

LoCo – Turner Sultan?

LoCo
    Free Member

nope shock too short again, will stick with 26 for the next bike, will try a few 29ers for the next bike

bunnerscj
    Free Member

Nope, got 2 already ! 😆

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

nope, If I wnted to go in a straight line on a smoothed surface I’d take the road bike out. The kind of places 29ers seem to be touted for are the kind of places I don’t like riding.

ahwiles
    Free Member

TooTall – Member

ahwiles – try it – the angles work differently with a bigger wheel and trail.

i have*, and it’s bloody awful.

(*santa cruz tallboy, and an inbred 29er)

takisawa2

Yeah. I’ll probably give it a go before the year is out.
    See what all the fuss is about. 🙂

clubber
    Free Member

scandal 29er = 72degrees

That’s rather silly. Specific angles are pretty arbitrary and are just typically the ones that work for that particular bike – eg 26″ bikes with typical fork offset/etc.

Different sized wheel bikes have different geometry and dynamics and so need different angles. As you mentioned, 72 degrees feels right on a road bike because it’s different to a 26″ mtb.

If you don’t like the bikes, that’s a different matter. I doubt it’s down to the head angle alone.

ahwiles
    Free Member

you can buy 26ers with head angles ranging from 71ish to 65ish degrees. different bikes for different riders for different types of riding.

brilliant.

you can buy 29ers with head angles ranging from 71ish to 70ish degrees. they all seem very similar when you look at the numbers. which is of course fine.

really it is, but there’s not a lot of choice, which is of course fine, and after trying it, i’m choosing not to choose.

clubber
    Free Member

Only because thus far most have been the equivalent of the 26″ bikes that are more the 71-69 degree range so there’s a similarly narrow range (eg a couple of degrees) in the 29ers. The more freeridey/DH ones that are starting to come out are more slack I’m pretty sure.

ahwiles
    Free Member

then i shall continue to wait and watch.

ahwiles
    Free Member

very nice, and when is it for sale?

(i’m not suggesting that all 29ers should have a 63degree head angle, but a little choice would be nice. I’ve tried a few of the bikes available now, and dint like ’em – and there doesn’t seem to be much variation)

clubber
    Free Member

Not yet 😉

LoCo
    Free Member

hmm, 2013 bike for the ‘company stable’ 😕

postierich
    Free Member

Nope!! Yet to have a 29er past me in bendy singletrack up or down,seen lots pass me on straight flat stuff though 😉 cheating sods!

Rich

Northwind

Possibly… Still half thinking of 29erising my rigid, all I need is frame and wheels as the forks are already 29er corrected. But I’m enjoying it as it is.

Don’t think there’s any chance I’ll be replacing my 2 main bikes though.

Junkyard
    Free Member

no

hora
    Free Member

No. I don’t see the point especially as whatmtb and mbr seem to be buming them up alot.

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

Yes for me. Got a demo ride on a Yeti Bigtop this w’end.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I’m possibly selling mine. (med Singular Peregrine with ALfine and lots of shiny bits in case anyone’s interested)

But I’ll get another. I’d prefer something a little less “road” and a little more mtb.

ton

no, had 9 in the past. 😯
    still got 1.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

they are all pants and should be banned

the_lecht_rocks

we mustn’t forget they’re the next best thing…………………..perhaps / possibly / maybe…………. ❓

keavo
    Free Member

yes, i doubt i’ll ever buy a 26er again. 29er’s just suit me and i’m not a tall or crap rider.

IdleJon

I’m curious about trying one, but wouldn’t spend any money on one yet.

Having asked at the LBS whether they are selling, the answer is no, and nobody in my riding group (of around 30) has got one. Maybe I’ll try one at the Afan demo day.

I wonder if they are a regional thing? Judging by the above posts, its the same handful of people who are buying all of the 29ers…….

chiefgrooveguru

It isn’t the head angle that really matters, it’s the trail. Bigger wheel = more trail for the same head angle.

ton

some people are open to change, others are not……………..or, 29rs are like bum sex………..dont knock it till you have tried it………… 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘Are you going to buy a 29'er next….’ is closed to new replies.