• This topic has 52 replies, 47 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by D0NK.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Are you a better rider now than you were ten years ago?
  • wysiwyg
    Free Member

TBH ive kinda hit a plateau, dont think im as balls out fast as when I were a lad but ride bigger stuff now probably, tho less often the test pilot.

If youre the same or worse, what are you going to do next year to improve?

Im gonna finish building my DJs and learn some tricks.

Better or worse or same?

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Lots better, I was about 5, 10 years again. I’m just going to carry on riding, racing and hitting bigger stuff. I’m also spending more time messing about on some sweet doubles doing whips, tables and practising scrubbing. I want a try a no hander and X-Up too.

druidh
    Free Member

Absolutely. I didn’t get my first “real” MTB until 2005. 😀

derekrides
    Free Member

Haven’t got the nerve I had ten years ago, but went on a UKBike skills course with the smiley dude and came away from that, technically a better rider..

Thoroughly recommend going, combination of him and a decent bike = invincibility

Until some young scrotes dug a big hole in one of our trails without telling anyone and i fell down it that is.

tazzymtb

No, I used to be very fast, now I just have fun and it makes up for being a slow fat old duffer

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Yes – still progressing but slowly. Ridden offroad for a long time but never on a decent bike until a few years ago.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

In common with some comments above a skills course seems to teach you to be smooth. In control…

Which somehow seems slower. But is way faster.

Edit – BTW with I’ve been at GT a couple of times with TJ breathing down my neck. That also makes you faster 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

No. Have lost my ‘nads when it comes to really steep bits and jumps.

robsoctane
    Free Member

I think my skills have improved somewhat but my balls have shrank at the same time… levels me out. I think it’s a combination of always riding alone and having responsibilities = my own family. I feel I HAVE to hold back a little and that certainly hinders progression.

KonaTC

Yep been Jedi ed

trail_rat
    Free Member

Im with tazzy although less fat and less old

Focused on something else for time being but keeping my hand in and i will be back 😉 ( as an old slow fat duffer )

DickBarton

Nope…I’m utterly mince on a bike these days…on a scale of 1-10, I’d say I was a 7 and now I’m a 3…lack of time and too much on to get my head sorted…

IvanDobski
    Free Member

10 years ago I rode all over the Lakes on an 80mm ht with not a care in the world.

Now I ride the same terrain on much fancier bikes, wear a wide variety of armour depending on the day/mtfu levels/route and constantly wonder if my angles are slack/gnarr enough, my forks are at the right setting and if my technique is quite right (it never is).

I lurk on forums, read mags and pester bike designers about custom builds cos no-one understands my style.

Strangely however, I certainly don’t feel like it’s made me any better!

PeaslakeDave
    Free Member

YES! If I was better when I was 9, I would be worried. I can still see progression and I hope it continues for a few years yet

pixelmix
    Free Member

Better than 10 years ago but worse than 6 months ago. Need to go on a skills course to sort out my head and improve my skills I reckon. Or maybe I just need to (i) grow some balls and (ii) do more mountain biking.

solamanda
    Free Member

Yes. Only started riding mtb’s 9 years ago!

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Sol. Did you. When was first France 03?

solamanda
    Free Member

02, I’d been riding for about 6 months!

ajantom

Yes, better than 10 years ago….but not better than 17 years ago 😉

10 years ago I’d just spent 2 years living in Thailand working in a dive shop. No cycling for the whole time – when I got back to the UK I was fit, but very rusty.

However 17 years ago I was at a peak of fitness, winning local races, and riding at the local trails/bmx track every day.

shaggmiester
    Free Member

Absolutely! I think with bikes getting better, your balls get bigger. Maybe false confidence but when I go back to my hardtail I ride things I wouldn’t dreamt of 10 year ago. 🙂

cullen-bay
    Free Member

im so much better than 10 years ago! ten years ago i was 7 years old and because of my size back then i was limited to just riding trails of a similar difficulty to laggan black.

slowrider
    Free Member

I was quite good at dirt jumping ten years ago and would huck pretty much anything up to about 15ft to flat. It wasn’t pretty though.

Nowadays I’m definitely quicker downhill and have better flow through jumps though less tricks in the bag. No more hucks to flat anymore either!

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

No. I ride a lot less than I did ten years ago and fitness aside I have lost the fluidity that comes from riding almost most day.

sambob
    Free Member

Definitely, I was only 6 ten years ago.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

I never realised there were so many young’uns on here.

Sol> that explains a lot 😉

Taff
    Free Member

I have lost a lot of the technical ability I had as I was riding a lot of dh as well as xc. Got better endurance now though

kudos100
    Free Member

Much faster. I rediscovered mtb’ing last year after a 15 year gap. In the last 18 months, my bike handling skills have come on loads and I can just about keep up with some guys who race downhill.

I was shite at riding when I was younger, as I had no clue about technique. Modern bikes have made a difference, but the biggest change is constantly practicing bike handling skills.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Been riding MTBs nearly 20 years.

I was crap 20 years ago.

I was crap 10 years ago.

I’m crap now.

Can’t see myself ever stopping it though, until I’m physically incapable.

swiss01
    Free Member

gilo, are you perhaps me?

epicyclo

Much slower – the curse of approaching frailty and infirmity.

colournoise

Reckon I’m technically better now than I’ve ever been, and think that actually makes me a bit braver than I used to be too.

Over a longer trail/route don’t think I’m any quicker or slower overall though – tend to conserve my energy now when I can so don’t ride as fast all the time as when I was younger, but am probably faster (better skills, better bike) on techier stuff than in 2001. It all balances out.

Only real difference I notice from 10 years ago is if it all goes tits up I take WAY longer to heal properly these days!

slainte ➡ rob

kiwijohn

Most definitely.
    11 years ago I moved from somewhere with mediocre trails to Hobart with awesome trails on my doorstep. Can’t help to get better, especially with the mutters I ride with.

Lionheart
    Free Member

I am with a few others here getting slower and more cautious, like to keep my wheels on the ground and increasingly wary of fast rocky fireroads/tracks – clearly need a Fat Bike to explain it! I have nicer more capable bike now, allowing me to still to have some fun

Sue_W
    Free Member

Wasn’t biking 10 years ago (but not due to being one of the young ‘uns!)

Was a better mtb’er 4/5 years ago, but balls* seem to have transferred to road riding descents.

*not sure what the girl equivalent is, but saying ‘breasts’ doesn’t seem to convey the appropriate association with gnarr …

Kevevs
    Free Member

I have more enthusiasm and spirit and UN-boredom! but, to be honest, I don’t have that “is kev coming out to play?” kindov, but not in that free and uncareing thing. maybe I just want to recapture that freedom. but I love bikes, and riding bikes. BIKE=GOODF.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Hell yes! I first started riding MTBs 8 years ago mind and the learning curve has flattened of late a tad.

I’ve asked for a lesson with Jedi for my birthday…

seosamh77
    Free Member

Dunno, can take a bike over rougher ground these days, but i’m another one that didn’t know what suspension felt like till 2007(still never rode a full sus bike for more than 30 secs!). So before then, no idea, didn’t really get into ‘mtbing’ like i do now until then. I always fancied it, and I’d fire the bike down any bit of rough ground or inner city single track and the like, but the bike was always a commuting thing for me or a play thing as a child. tbh I probably learned eveything I know on bmx as a kid, so doubtful tbh! Probably achieved my skill set around 10 years old when i was building we jumps etc and ran with that ever since!

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Sue- balls makes things worse imo. You may be on a winner. Relax, think, be calmy confident. I’ve done .,.. I can do ,,,, etc.

Kevevs
    Free Member

can I rewind cos I’m a bit drunk….

blikes ar good.. and…

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

swiss01 – Member
    gilo, are you perhaps me?

I guess it’s possible…..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Are you a better rider now than you were ten years ago?’ is closed to new replies.