Viewing 9 posts - 161 through 169 (of 169 total)
  • Are we getting a bit to precious about weight?
  • njee20
    Free Member

I go a lot quicker up hills this year having lost a bit of weight. It is really noticeable for me, it makes riding a lot more enjoyable!

However… my bike this year is the lightest I've ever had, I like it more than all the others. Heavier bikes don't ride as nicely IMO. If I wasn't racing I'd have something with more travel and wider tyres, but would still make it as light as practically possible.

I am amused by how many people on Weight Weenies riding 17lb hardtails are 90kg+ though.

Rockhopper won't be any tougher than the Stumpy either, as has been observed, carbon bars are likely stronger than alu ones, I'd trust F90s over Toras too.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Maybe the weight of the RH just makes it feel stronger then?!

I shall now ride my Stumpy flat out into a large tree to test it out.

njee20
    Free Member

Maybe the weight of the RH just makes it feel stronger then?!

Correct, brain associates light weight with fragile.

Halfords special weighs more, but it'll fold up if you look at it strangely.

richmtb

However… my bike this year is the lightest I've ever had, I like it more than all the others. Heavier bikes don't ride as nicely IMO. If I wasn't racing I'd have something with more travel and wider tyres, but would still make it as light as practically possible.

My new bike is heavier than my old one. And it rides a lot nicer. Of course if it weighed 4lbs less it might be nicer to ride, but as I've already trashed a light rear wheel on it, going the other way and putting some tougher wheels on it is probably a better option.

Mountain biking is a broad church, Weight weenieism is just one sect!

njee20
    Free Member

And I'm a firm believer in horses for courses.

There's a Mojo SL ridden by some Spanish bloke, it's about 18lbs or sommat, 100mm forks, Maxxlite 310 tyres, 90g flat bars with alu stem bolts and what not, completely daft spec, I wouldn't go that far.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Cynic-al, are you saying now matter how much better a bike pedals, a lighter bike will always be faster up hill?

Within reason, yes.

I'm pretty sure Toras are stronger than Fox 90RLs, pretty sure alu bars are stronger than carbon ones, etc, etc.

"pretty sure" what is that worth?

The RH feels "safer" jumping than the Stumpy.

How does that make it stronger?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Okay I will stick to known facts to avoid being picked apart.

The Stumpy is lighter and more expensive than the Rockhopper.

scottishbadger
    Free Member

The Stumpy is lighter and more expensive than the Rockhopper

Is it though? 😉

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

phil.w – Member

SpokesCycles – Member
    You're a fool if you think a heavy bike is better in any situation.

In a chainless race down a hill the heavier bike would accelerate quicker. Would it not be better in this situation?
    a heavier bike wouldn't, the lighter bike (lighter wheels/rotating force) will accelerate quicker. and for what its worth, if i was told to ride a section of track chainless, timed on a lighter and heavier (though otherwise identical) bike. i'd be quicker on the lighter bike.

A lighter bike is easier to move around and control, pump jump and therefore quicker/better/more enjoyable.

molgrips – Member
    I have hardly ever (if ever) seen such a bloke on the start line of an Elite race tho. Anyone know any big elite racers?

depends on your idea, not a fatty but Ian wilkinson is 'a big guy'

Viewing 9 posts - 161 through 169 (of 169 total)

The topic ‘Are we getting a bit to precious about weight?’ is closed to new replies.