Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Are we all ready for Guy Martin on Ch4?
  • jekkyl

Something about the land speed cycling record tonight at 8. That’s in 30 minutes time folks.

Harry_the_Spider

I was at South Lakes Animal Park today and noticed a striking resemblance between Guy Martin and an emu.

Sky+ set. Watching Downton Shitting Abbey first. 😕

matt_outandabout

It is going to be a graft watching, eh lad?

transporter13
    Free Member

Brilliant cheers. Forgot about it

benji
    Free Member

Aye chief, brew is made as well.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Morrisons branches north of Birmingham sold out of tissues earlier today.

monkeychild
    Free Member

All you need is a sock. Tissues?? Posh bugger!!!

neilb67
    Free Member

I did a lot of work to the truck of Dave Jenkins which Guy uses in this episode. It got rather bent after a crash at Oulton Park

hora
    Free Member

Only watching this for Amy Williams

And GM seems like a top bloke 🙂

Gary_C

Only watching this for Amy Williams

Not Laura Trott then ?

hora
    Free Member

Not my type really I guess

rOcKeTdOg

speed wobble at 100mph must be a pants filling experience!

PrinceJohn

On a beach?

IanMunro
    Free Member

Blokes got some balls!

snaps
    Free Member
    S_J
    Free Member

Just about the best hour of telly I’ve seen in a long time. Cracking effort!

theotherjonv

‘Not bad for a bunch of idiots in a shed’

I thought Brant and co had that copyrighted?

CountZero

Mental. Utterly bloody mental! I’ve done 70mph along Pendine in a 1300 Morris Minor, flat out, and that was getting damned twitchy on the sand. Over 100mph on a bicycle? Blokes got some balls? Yeah, like these:

paulmgreen
    Free Member

Very entertaining as he always is …….. Just can’t quite figure why they didn’t stick to Tarmac and a loooong runway ?

sharkbait
    Free Member

Yeah, he got to 100mph on a 2 mile runway, but I guess the extra 10-20mph must have required double that. Beach is not a cool place to try and go fast.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Thought provoking effort that, I wonder what he would be able to do if he rode it on Tarmac…

cloudnine
    Free Member

Crackers

willard

The question I wanted to have answered was why not a banked oval for the attempt? I know Pendine Sands has a lot of history for speed records, but was that really the only place they could use?

Shaun20
    Free Member

Surely he needed a fat bike for riding on sand?!

onehundredthidiot

Did he not say the run was 3 miles? Not many flat 3 mile stretches of tarmac in the UK.

snakebite
    Free Member

crash on sand or crash on tarmac…. 😀

therevokid
    Free Member

112.9 mph ! … on sand ! … on a push bike ! … EEEEKKKKKKKK !!!!!!!!

how you get balls that big into leathers I shall never know 🙂

parkesie
    Free Member

Hope he set it as a strava segment.

maxtorque

Is there a “flatness” requirement for the record? Most UK runways have a significant slope, especially the very long ones! (Brunters, where they ran the first test is very slopey indeed)

(being a beach, and at “sealevel” the sands are flat by natures hand!)

Sam

Was it coincidence it was on the same night as the national derny champs 🙂

Just saw it on 4OD – definitely entertaining though a few cringeworthy moments. I was surprised Dave LeGrys didn’t say ‘give us a go then’ after he’d finished…

There’s good reason Guy has never been invited on Just a Minute.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Just saw it on 4OD – definitely entertaining though a few cringeworthy moments. I was surprised Dave LeGrys didn’t say ‘give us a go then’ after he’d finished…

looks like he’s up for it

goon
    Free Member

Dave Jenkins’ garage is round the corner from me. If I’ve seen him using a mobile whilst driving an HGV once, I’ve seen it several dozen times. The best was whilst driving a Transit through the town, yakking on the phone, and sitting about a foot off a cyclist’s rear wheel, weaving and beeping his horn to get past, and eventually bullying him off the road.

Total c-unit.

Sam

Physically, many people could do vastly better than Martin’s effort. Mentally, having the bottle to do it, is another question. Having the media profile to raise the cash to do it narrows the field further. I’d like to see Legro not only try to take it back but go for the world record.

Russell96

I agree, thrown off a superbike on your leathers is gonna be quite a different experience to being clipped in on road pedals, on the racing you see them throw/guide themselves in a different direction to the motorbike, that isn’t going to happen when you are clipped in.

CaptJon
    Free Member

You’d be unclipped pretty quickly at 100 mph

S_J
    Free Member

Still trying to get my head around the science of this whole thing. Just seems mad that you can pedal a push bike to over 100mph. So, if I’ve got this right;

– he’s pulled to 65mph by the truck.
    – once released from the truck he’s got to accelerate an additional 35mph to get over 100 and then beyond.
    – so in actual fact with regards to the effort involved, it should be no harder than getting a time trial bike or equally large geared bike up to 35mph from a standing start?

Obviously the immense speed brings it’s own challenges etc, but essentially if you’ve got nuts big enough it should be possible for an average cyclist to achieve a similar speed. Or am I oversimplifying this?!

Trimix
    Free Member

I sort of agree. Take away air resistance, gear it up and with the gyroscopic effect at that speed Im not so sure its that difficult.

What am I missing ?

jkomo

I wonder what tyres to use for sand at 100mph ?

Russell96

Chain to the wheel is going to be zipping along at a fair speed more than usual, tension/alignment I guess are going to be critical.

samuri
    Free Member

I thought that was a great program.

Is Guy Martin, Brain Cox’s long lost (thicker) brother or what?
    Seems like a really nice guy with massive balls.

I was gob-smacked when they said they were doing it on the beach. As above, on tarmac it would be way faster. Surely they can find a very quiet motorway and close off 3 or 4 miles for a couple of hours.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Are we all ready for Guy Martin on Ch4?’ is closed to new replies.