Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 91 total)
  • Are Watches on the way out?
  • emac65
    Free Member

Wear a 305 when I'm on my bike but other than that I haven't wore a watch for yonks….

29erKeith
    Free Member

The future is here
    LG Watch Phone £500

not sure it'll catch on tbh

I like wearing watches and I'm under 30. only just! though 😥
    I do take my watch off when at my desk though
    I've got half a dozen for different stuff and styles none over £200 several only about £20-50

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I should say I have a 1920s gold Waltham pocket watch. If you want smart, that pisses all over everything else. It was my Grandad's 21st birthday present, he died when I was a baby. It hadn't been worn for probably 40 years or more until I wore it to get married in. Will I ever wear it again? Damn straight I will!
    😀

TooTall
    Free Member

Peter – if you managed to preserve your dignity at your wedding behind a pocket watch, you're a smaller man than me!

Gingerbloke
    Free Member

Need a watch to remind me of my left and right!!!

nickc

You can't avoid the time. It's in your car, on every bit of electronic kit at home, on the side of buildings, on all sorts of displays, everywhere. Why anyone NEEDS a watch beats me.

Whilst this is undoubtedly true, it's still easier to look at your wrist… Besides, any day soon that beautiful girl is going to ask me the time, we'll laugh, have a coffee, talk, she'll find me amusing, and yet intriguing at the same time…yep, any day soon…

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>I should say I have a 1920s gold Waltham pocket watch>

Yeah that looks like it would be really useful up the hill…

uplink
    Free Member

Yeah that looks like it would be really useful up the hill.

What the hell would you want with a watch up a hill?

HeatherBash
    Free Member

I know – here was me thinking it was a mtb forum. I'll shut up now…

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Watches! Pffrt! New fangled rubbish. I have a sextant.

(Pete – I also inherited a nice pocket watch, looks the biz worn with a 3 piece suit 🙂 )

tron
    Free Member

Oh, I also ride with a chap who repairs and deals in expensive watches: Rolex, Cartier, real top end £70,000+++ watches.

I asked him once if he wore one himself. –
    "Good god no!"
    **takes off watch, bashes it on the table**
    "Cheap Casio. Unbreakable!"

Very true! One of my old uni lecturers went on an expedition to the Amazon, back when it was still a big deal. They were sponsored by anyone and everyone – two dozen pairs of M&S underpants, and about 4 fancy watches each. One by one all the precision made Swiss watches packed up. The only stuff still working were the (at the time) brand new japanese digital sports watches.

Philby

Lost a 25 year old Omega, which had been gift, just before Christmas when the strap must have broken. Didn't think I would get much back from the insurance company. Very pleasantly suprised that the insurance company has just given me a very large amount to spend at a jewellers (unfortunately its on one of those cards with credit on and not cash) so will be looking to buy an obscenely expensive bling watch in the next week or so.

However in the 3.5 months I have not had a watch to wear I haven't missed it at all, and seemed to have arrived at all appointments etc. on time.

I did buy a G-Shock for mountain-biking a few years ago, but can't wear that now as I somehow seem to have become allergic to the rubber / latex bit the strap tucks into in the last 18 months – so haven't been able to wear that either.

peachos
    Free Member

PeterPoddy – Member
    Oh, I also ride with a chap who repairs and deals in expensive watches: Rolex, Cartier, real top end £70,000+++ watches.

I asked him once if he wore one himself. –
    "Good god no!"
    **takes off watch, bashes it on the table**
    "Cheap Casio. Unbreakable!"

my 15 year old casio g-shock is still going strong. only wear it for biking and boarding these days but it's basically never going to fail.

best thing about it is there's a setting where the light switches on automatically when you raise your arm – brilliant for night rides i tell ye!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Besides, any day soon that beautiful girl is going to ask me the time, we'll laugh, have a coffee, talk, she'll find me amusing, and yet intriguing at the same time…yep, any day soon…

you are bernard black ……

Talkemada
    Free Member

Besides, any day soon that beautiful girl is going to ask me the time, we'll laugh, have a coffee, talk, she'll find me amusing, and yet intriguing at the same time…yep, any day soon…

Be patient, nickc, be patient…

best thing about it is there's a setting where the light switches on automatically when you raise your arm

WANT IT NEED IT MUST HAVE IT

Give to me it please.

peachos
    Free Member

best thing about it is there's a setting where the light switches on automatically when you raise your arm

WANT IT NEED IT MUST HAVE IT

Give to me it please.
    [/quote]

haha, can't. but if it makes it any easier i'd be envious too, if i didn't own it!

anyway, i don't think you'd want to have the 'what were once clear but are now a disturbing yellow colour after 15 years or sweat, blood and tears' straps fixed to your wrist!!

matthewjb
    Free Member

I should say I have a 1920s gold Waltham pocket watch

Beautiful.

I love watches. Especially mechanical ones. At the last count I had 6.

Spending a large amount of money on one is no more silly than spending a lot on a bike really.

My latest purchase was this:

zaskar
    Free Member

If only I could run my life without the time!

@PeterPoddy nice watch, I admired Marks pocket watch too.

Sod it I'm buying a new watch!

And I'm always being asked the time by others who use their mobile.

thatscold
    Free Member

Are Watches on the way out?

I hope not, I work for a watch manufacture..

breakneckspeed
    Free Member

I wear my polar 725x HRM most days & my Animal “surfer against sewage” watch when I go out – I do need a watch for work to take pulses reading and for some of the cognitive tests I have to carry out which are timed – Can’t say I particularly miss it if I’ve not got it on – but I’m in my late 40s

psling
    Free Member

Watches? Pah, if you need to know the time just ask a policeman…

momo

I always wear a watch, feel strange if I forget to put it on.

Matt aged 29 3/4

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

',Heather Bash – Member
    I frequently leave my phone at home, I have never really adopted the need to be in contact with the world 24 hours a day. But I do need a watch.

Amen to that – unfortunately it's very difficult to escape being verbally assulted by scores of others conducting their loud, inane converstaions in trains, supermarkets etc etc…'

+1 I sort of feel naked without a watch. Cheapo fashion & sports ones most of the time and a couple of nice ones for work and going out.

CountZero

I can't see the point of using a phone rather than a watch, unless you're one of those unutterably tragic souls who feel the need to wander around with a bloody phone in their hand all the time. All that shows is that you're a miserable wretch who constantly needs to feel that you're in constant demand, or still think that the world's impressed by your adoption of such cutting edge technology. If, on the other hand, you're like me, and carry your phone in a trouser pocket, then the time it takes to fish the thing out, get it the right way round, wake it up so you can see the time, has surely got to take three or four times longer than just slightly raising your arm and taking a glance at a watch. Especially when you're riding a bike at the time. Unless you're wearing one of those ridiculous flashy watches with half a dozen supplementary dials and other crap that needs a thirty page instruction manual and half an hour staring at the damn thing trying to make out what the time is. If I'm wearing a big overcoat it makes it even more of a chore to get the phone out when all I need is to take a quick look at my wrist. Seems like just a way to make a really simple action extra complicated.

obirobkeno
    Free Member

I never used to wear a watch (due to working with rotating machinery and chemicals), but I wear one now… Well, I've got a few, not hellish-expensive, but nice. And the G-Shock just keeps going… Soon as (If) it dies, I'll get another. That one should see me to the grave… 😀

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

i stopped wearing a watch years ago (pre mobile phone days) whilst on holiday in cornwall, decided i would get up when i wake up, eat when i was hungry etc. 1st night, got a bit peckish, decided to go into town for something to eat, trouble was it was 11 o'clock at night and everywhere was closing!

next day, caught the sun and the skin that had been living under my watch for the last 20 years swells up like a football!

great start but i persevered and haven't had a watch since.

fubar
    Free Member

aren't we all supposed to wearing our 'communicator' wrist bands very soon…phone / watch / browser all-in-one flexible screen….

Talkemada
    Free Member

Watches? Pah, if you need to know the time just ask a policeman…

And get nicked for wasting police time.. 🙁

druidh
    Free Member

I stopped wearing a watch years ago. Like PeterPoddy, I found it just too uncomfortable under glovers etc while biking. I relented temporarily with an altimeter watch until that gave way to a proper GPS. I can't say I ever really miss having one.

epicyclo

I want one of these. Hour hand and date, all I need

Zedsdead
    Free Member

watches are ace!

I got one of these from a very good friend – weighs a tonne but is really nice.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Can't do without a watch in my line of work but have several ranging from G-Shock to Rolex.

Rolex is my everyday watch but for anything adventurous my Casio or Citizen Eco-Drive get the nod.

Occasionally try without but only works in my leisuretime.

Talkemada
    Free Member

Rolex is my everyday watch

Lend us a tenner! 😀

Watches are useful, but perhaps more of a fashion accessory/jewellery these days, considering how we have the time on our 'phones, computers, TV recorders, cookers, in cars, etc.

A nice watch is nice thing to have, mind.

Epicyclo, I raise you:

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

I bought an omega (seamaster) about ten years ago (compensation pay out from an RTA). I wear it constantly, and love it to bits.

aracer
    Free Member

You can't avoid the time. It's in your car, on every bit of electronic kit at home, on the side of buildings, on all sorts of displays, everywhere. Why anyone NEEDS a watch beats me.

There speaks a man who lives in a city. And has far too much electronic clutter around. The only thing which would tell me the time where I am apart from my watch (and the computer I'm typing on, which is often tucked away in sleep mode or off) is a big old-fashioned clock on the wall. In most rooms in my house it would be only my watch. Playing with my son outside the house or taking him down the park, the only alternative to a watch might be a sextant. Walking around town at lunchtime I'm struggling to think where I'd be able to see what time it was without going to a lot of trouble. If I'm running or biking up on the hills, the only available clock is somewhere I tend not to go on a lunchtime trip.

Like others I don't carry a mobile phone all the time – in fact it's pretty rare that I do. I suppose if you put it like that I don't NEED a watch – I could carry some other gadget with me solely for a function it wasn't designed for and which it's not as good at as a watch. Alternatively I could be late for post-lunchtime meetings.

Watches are useful, but perhaps more of a fashion accessory/jewellery these days, considering how we have the time on our 'phones, computers, TV recorders, cookers, in cars, etc.

I don't tend to carry a cooker, TV recorder or car around with me.

I've gone for a while without wearing a watch when I've had wrist injuries, but it always goes back on afterwards. FWIW my day-to-day watch is a £300 Suunto HRM!

Talkemada
    Free Member

I've gone for a while without wearing a watch when I've had wrist injuries,

You get these quite often then? 😉

robdob
    Free Member

I haven't worn a watch for a while, I have got an Animal watch but the battery is dead. I didn't wear one for 15 years (ish) until I really had to have one (worked in a shop and needed to know the time to check who was late off their breaks etc).
    I used to know the time, without looking at a clock, to within 5-10 minutes of the actual time, when I didn't have a watch. And i was never late for anything. It was quite impressive and I'd have no idea how I knew. Now there are more clocks around I can't do it as well, which is a bit odd.

_tom_
    Free Member

I haven't worn a watch for a few years now. Don't like the feeling of it on my wrist. I do like the look of a nice watch but hate wearing them. Oh and the straps start to collect sweat and get smelly really quickly with me 😆

ooOOoo
    Free Member

FWIW my day-to-day watch is a £300 Suunto HRM!

Jeez, ruled by time, ruled by your heart rate….data overload, let it go man, liberate your wrist! :mrgreen:

redthunder
    Free Member

G-Shock as always.

Mine gets a right kicking.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘Are Watches on the way out?’ is closed to new replies.