Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Are Thule roof bars worth the extra?
  • cyclistm
    Free Member

im in the market for some roof bars. The thule ones look good but seem mighty expensive compared to some of the other options, notably the Atera Signo.

Is there any reason to go for the Thule over the alternatives?

Thanks
    PS in the bike forum as they will be used for bike carrying duties

allfankledup

Have used them on every vehicle I’ve had for the last 27yrs (mostly for lugging numerous kayaks around the country)

Overall, they work, they are decent quality and they last – as a brand I trust them.

matther01
    Free Member

Depends IMO. If you only use them occasionally then perhaps not. I use automaxi supras. Not as pretty but cheaper and extremely easy to install and uninstall (as I fit and remove them before and after every long distance trip which requires them).

Thule bike carriers are a different kettle of fish… I have two and are brilliant.

dh
    Free Member

as i’ve just spend an hour buggering about with 2 x halford own brands ones, and 1 thule (thule took 5mins) i’d say deffo yes.

However, i have also had halford own brand ones before that were just OEM thule, so if you can get them then that is the ideal answer.

gumtree is your friend tbh.

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

I’ve had the same square bars and 2 pro rides on my last 3 cars permenatly for the last 8 years everything still works as new.

matt_outandabout

My Thule bars are a decade old, carrying bikes, canoes, building materials, sofa with two mates on – the usual.

If I compare my Thule bike racks with my one Atera, there is no comparison. The Atera lost its end caps on first journey, clamp is bending and ratchets are poor. The Thule’s are fine, and just work.

I have also had colleagues that bought cheap roof bars, and bent them first use under canoes.

Well worth the extra.

winston
    Free Member

Look on ebay for thule it lasts so well there is very little risk and this means you can get the aero bar and not the stupid wing bar they sell now

The thule square bar is bomb proof and cheap but you can’t slot accessories into it so it becomes a pain to quickly change say a roofbox for a bike rack or canoe upright

matt_outandabout

Thule also sell all the little parts separately, so you can replace if ever you do need. That alone gets my vote.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I started my ‘Roof Bar career’ with some cheap ones I used for windsurfing, and they lasted about 6 months before the powder coating started to split and corrosion set in. I then did what my brother told me to do from the start and buy Thule. That first set lasted about 8yrs as a permanent feature on my Vauxhall Nova and looked almost brand new when I removed them. I’ve never considered anything else since. They may appear expensive up front, but it’s not like a handbag where you’re paying for a brand name and nothing more, you’re paying for a proper quality engineered product.

Of course if you only use roof bars once in a blue moon then it’s a different thing.

bearGrease

+1 for Thule. If bits do wear out then this guys does spares http://www.thulespareparts.co.uk/

aazlad
    Free Member

Keep an eye out on eBay. I recently bought Thule roof bars and bike carrier for £45. Very pleased with it.

timmys

The thule square bar is bomb proof and cheap but you can’t slot accessories into it so it becomes a pain to quickly change say a roofbox for a bike rack or canoe upright

I don’t get this comment. With the square bars you just clamp anything straight on. With the slots you have to faff about with the plastic strip in the slot don’t you (ie. cutting it to the right size, slotting bits of it in and out in the right combination for whatever you’re putting on). Or do people not use the strip. I’m not trying to be augmentative BTW, genuinely interested I currently have square bars but am considering aero/wing bars for an imminent car change.

austy
    Free Member

Got some Atera square bars given and really easy to fit onto the volvos roof rails.

Also got some pro rack aero bars and Atera roof box. Was pretty much silent at 70mph going upto Scotland. These fit onto the rails easy too and you just slide along the adaptors no need to cut the rubber strip as it moves out of the way underneath.

timmys

no need to cut the rubber strip as it moves out of the way underneath

Oooh, like the sound of that. Is that how Thule work as well?

winston
    Free Member

I never use the strip

Clamping on my roofbox would take at least 30 mins as you would have to undo each ubolt seperately (x8) fiddle around underneath pushing them back up through the slots and then screw them all back up – slots mean I can slide the box on in one go and do up four quick release levers – 2 mins tops.

Having slots means I can take on and off bike racks in seconds

You can also bring the accessories closer to the edge of the rack and thus fit more stuff on the roof

Sundayjumper

I’ve used nothing but Thule and have no reason to change. I think I’ve got four or five pairs of bars now, six bike fittings, a tow bar carrier and an f-off huge roof box. All Thule.

Keep an eye on ebay for s/h stuff, there’s a steady supply so you should find what you need quite quickly.

richmtb

I’ve got the new wing bars, very easy to fit and very quiet even compared to the aero bars I had previously.

chiefgrooveguru

I need to get some external bike carrying thingy for my car. A rear rack won’t fit because of the spoiler, unless I fit a tow bar. I don’t have roof rails or those clever recessed fittings. Can I get a couple of roof bars and bike carriers that will clamp on and off in a few minutes with minimal hassle? Or is fitting a roof rack whenever we go away going to be a pain?

I normally ride straight from home and when the family isn’t with me I pile the bikes inside the car anyway so it wouldn’t be worth leaving it on, wasting fuel and being noisy. Will I be able to switch a roof bar system from my old Honda onto whatever car I next buy without much trouble?

timmys

With the wing or aero bars do you have to the T-shaped do-dars or can you just use the clamps still? If you have you the T things that would be right old hassle swapping bike carriers between one car with square bars and one with wing/aero bars.

winston
    Free Member

You can use some clamps with the aero bars – my roofbox bizzarely came with clamps for square and aero bars as well as the t-track adapters – the aero clamps are longer

The wing bars are huge and I doubt you could use clamps on them

julians
    Free Member

Another Thule user here. I’ve had the same set of aero bars for about the past 8 or 9 years now, and just swap the fitting kit and/or foot pack if I change cars.

Also have two of the cheaper thule bike racks (maybe they dont even make them any more) ,and again these are mostly fine, the only complaint I have about these is that they are the clamp on type, and the T bolt siezes in the clamp, which most of the time is not a problem, as you should never need to adjust the clamp size. However If I want to use my rack on a friends roof bars (not thule), the clamp size needs altering, but is difficult to do as the T bolt has siezed in the clamp.

benp1

Really pleased I paid extra for better ones. Hardly affect the economy (wingbars), plus I’ve had LOADS on top

Including a whole shed, soaked and knackered. Well over the 100kg limit and was fine (granted partly due to the rails on my car also being quite strong). Seriously, you should’ve seen how ridiculous it looked, was bigger than the roof of the car and its a pretty big estate

Putting on cycle racks is a doddle

TiRed

Can’t comment on other bars, but the thule system is magnificant and the 591 bike carriers are wonderful.

…no need to cut the rubber strip as it moves out of the way underneath…

If I remove the bike racks – not often, then the rubbers strips a re just the spacers for alignment.

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

+1 for Thule aero bars, fitted them to my new car a wee bit of a faff sorting the footpads initially but once on zero issues and the it’s a doddle sticking the bikes on the roof. I also like the 1 key system for the locks as well

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Are Thule roof bars worth the extra?’ is closed to new replies.