Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Are these two stories actually linked?
  • br
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21516473

On Tuesday the judge, Mr Justice Sweeney told the court some of the questions being asked by the jury demonstrated a “fundamental deficit in understanding” of the trial process and its role.

It had asked 10 questions about jurors’ basic duties after about 14 hours of deliberations and lengthy advice from the judge about how to assess the evidence.

Huhne, whose political career is now over, could be sent to jail after admitting the offence
    The questions included seeking a definition of reaching a verdict beyond reasonable doubt – something the judge had given them in writing.

In another question, the jury asked if one of them could come to a verdict based on reasons that were not presented in court or supported by the evidence. A third question asked about Ms Pryce’s religious convictions, even though this was not a matter in the trial.

And,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21511904

Or is it just that now most UK citizens don’t really understand our language?

wattsymtb
    Free Member

definately linked with this,

Anywhere nice absolutely teeming with arseholes

I am however not stupid enough to give a personal opinion on this.

MSP

I suspect that in a case like this, lawyers on both sides are a cut above the average, and will have twisted the meanings and expectations of “reasonable doubt” in their arguments.

The religion and “other reasons” stuff is somewhat bizarre.

muddy_bum
    Free Member

Are you suggesting that the jury are incapable of coming to a verdict because they are not white? Which seems like casual racism to me.
    Perhaps you should also mention that it is a jury of 8 women and 4 men.

bokonon
    Free Member

Which seems like casual racism to me.

Doesn’t seem to be much casual about it…

white101

perhaps the OP meant the langauge of the court, rather than spoken english. I for one would struggle with the erudite and eloquent barristers trying to tie me in knots with their prose

br
    Free Member

Are you suggesting that the jury are incapable of coming to a verdict because they are not white?

No, I was suggesting it was because they weren’t British – or at the very least British enough to actually understand their bloody job!

Perhaps you should also mention that it is a jury of 8 women and 4 men.

Ah, maybe that’s it then…

Suppose that raises another question; which is worse, being a racist or sexist 😉

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

No, I was suggesting it was because they weren’t British

There are very few qualifying requirements to being on a jury, being British is one of them.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Really?

Resident in the UK for at least 5 years since age 13;

Hardly the same thing, surely?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

You have to be on the parliamentary electoral register, foreigners are not allowed to vote in UK parliamentary elections and therefore not on the register. Except for Irish nationals – I’ll give you that.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

I think a basic IQ and comprehension test should be mandatory for jury service. Being an atheist should also surely be a requirement (because you don’t want people in a jury that can’t differentiate fact from fiction).

Would be nice if only people that actually wanted to be there were on jury service too.

I think if they videod some jury deliberations (perhaps for fake cases), the public would quickly realise what a flawed system it was.

Northwind

So out of curiosity, what is leading you to believe that the jury “lack britishness”? No denying that you can get white, british, dunderheads.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

You have to be on the parliamentary electoral register, foreigners are not allowed to vote in UK parliamentary elections and therefore not on the register. Except for Irish nationals – I’ll give you that.

Sure about that?

Northwind

According to lawmentor, the Jury Central Summoning Bureau make their selection from the electoral register. I can’t find anything to suggest it’s a legal requirement that you be a British, commonwealth or Irish citizen but it seems like it might be a practical requirement.

nealglover
    Free Member

Anyone from these countries who is resident in the UK can register to vote.

European Union countries

Austria
    Belgium
    Bulgaria
    Cyprus
    Czech Republic
    Denmark
    Estonia
    Finland
    France
    Germany
    Greece
    Hungary
    Ireland
    Italy

Latvia
    Lithuania
    Luxemburg
    Malta
    Netherlands
    Poland
    Portugal
    Romania
    Slovakia
    Slovenia
    Spain
    Sweden
    United Kingdom

Commonwealth countries

Antigua and Barbuda
    Australia
    The Bahamas
    Bangladesh
    Barbados
    Belize
    Botswana
    Brunei Darussalam
    Cameroon
    Canada
    Cyprus*
    Dominica
    Fiji Islands**
    The Gambia
    Ghana
    Grenada
    Guyana
    India

Jamaica
    Kenya
    Kiribati
    Lesotho
    Malawi
    Malaysia
    Maldives
    Malta*
    Mauritius
    Mozambique
    Namibia
    Nauru
    New Zealand
    Nigeria
    Pakistan
    Papua New Guinea
    Rwanda
    St Kitts & Nevis
    St Lucia

St Vincent & The Grenadines
    Samoa
    Seychelles
    Sierra Leone
    Singapore
    Solomon Islands
    South Africa
    Sri Lanka
    Swaziland
    Tonga
    Trinidad & Tobago
    Tuvalu
    Uganda
    United Kingdom
    United Republic of Tanzania
    Vanuatu
    Zambia
    Zimbabwe**

British Overseas Territories

Anguilla
    Bermuda
    British Antarctic Territory
    British Indian Ocean Territory
    British Virgin Islands
    Cayman Islands
    Falkland Islands
    Gibraltar
    Montserrat
    Pitcairn Island

St Helena and dependencies (Ascension Island and Tristan da Cunha)
    South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands
    Sovereign base areas on Cyprus
    Turks and Caicos Islands

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Big old area is the commonwealth – we used to own that 😀

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Only British nationals can vote in parliamentary elections. And Irish.

nealglover
    Free Member

Only British nationals can vote in parliamentary elections. And Irish.

And people from the massive list of Commonwealth countries I listed.

(If they are resident in the UK etc….)

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

edit:

what Neal said!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Nice edit

I had already said Irish half a dozen posts previously.

Sometimes Z-11 you really are like a small child.

Fair enough, but not the EU countries which you also listed.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

aha, I see what you’re trying to do now Ernie – playing the man, not the ball!

Subject to the provisions of this Act, every person shall be qualified to serve as a juror in the Crown Court, the High Court and county courts and be liable accordingly to attend for jury service when summoned under this Act, if—
    (a)he is for the time being registered as a parliamentary or local government elector and is not less than eighteen nor more than [seventy] years of age;

Which would include the EU citizens.

I’ll leave it there, you’ve dug your own hole.

Northwind

nealglover – Member

(If they are resident in the UK etc….)

More to it than that- residency doesn’t qualify, you need to either have leave to remain in the UK, or to be exempt from that need.

nealglover
    Free Member

Fair enough, but not the EU countries which you also listed.

Ah I see, That would be the reason why I didn’t mention them then I suppose.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

That would be the reason why I didn’t mention them then I suppose.

I took you listing them as you mentioning them. Obviously you see things differently, but there’s no need to explain.

nealglover
    Free Member

but there’s no need to explain

But I will enlighten you anyway.

The first list was a list of people who are eligible to register to Vote.

As it said above that list.

The second post (that only mentioned the commonwealth part of the list) was referring to people who are allowed to vote in a General election once registered to vote.

Hope that clears up your confusion.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Yes thanks, that explains everything.

nealglover
    Free Member

br
    Free Member

So we’ve pretty much decided that these were average folk who live in London…, like I say to my son when he queries somebodys’ strange actions:

“nearly half the population are below average intelligence”…

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

like I say to my son when he queries somebodys’ strange actions:

“nearly half the population are below average intelligence”…

He’s going to grow up to be a nice person. Presumably as thick and stupid as his dad.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Duck pond – if they float, they’s a witch.

Because witches are made of wood, wood floats.
    Wood also burns, therefore burn the witch.

This system of justice has never been bettered.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Question 5 is pure comedy genius

5. Can a juror come to a verdict based on a reason that was not presented in court and has no facts or evidence to support it either from the prosecution or defence?

br
    Free Member

He’s going to grow up to be a nice person. Presumably as thick and stupid as his dad.

Ernie are you unable to understand a basic truth, for there to really be an average there needs to be +ve and -ve, and intelligence/common-sense are no different. And based on The Sun been the UK’s best selling paper…

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Yeah I understand what average means, although I had no idea that intelligence and commonsense were the same thing. And tell me more about the Sun newspaper ?

portlyone

5. Can a juror come to a verdict based on a reason that was not presented in court and has no facts or evidence to support it either from the prosecution or defence?

I haven’t read into the details of the case but isn’t the above just a simple question needing a simple answer?

wordnumb
    Free Member

isn’t the above just a simple question needing a simple answer?

No, anyone requiring an answer to that question isn’t up to playing jury. Unless they’re asking it to deliberately lengthen the process and so get an extra free lunch.

aracer
    Free Member

As discussed on the other thread, that question was almost certainly asked by somebody other than the one confused about whether to use the evidence presented in court or their own imagination to make a decision – in order to make a point to said person.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Are these two stories actually linked?’ is closed to new replies.