Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Are these the same?
  • Warrenpfo
    Free Member

Would it be fair to say that the Carbon Nomad and Alpine 160 are in the same league frame for frame.

If yes then which Lapierre would be in the same league the spicy or the zesty and which of the three would you go for to ride aggressive XC/all mountain and the off free ride day.

ojom
    Free Member

Spicy is closest.

Arrange demo.

Pick fave. All excellent bikes.

Warrenpfo
    Free Member

From my understanding there is no difference in frame in the spicy range until you get to the very top but rather the spec changes.

I am looking for a frame only.

ojom
    Free Member

Frame only spicy means you will be on a 916 it has a carbon arse and alloy face.

geetee1972
    Free Member

The problem you've got here is that the Carbon Nomad is over £2500 for the frame whereas the Alpine is, what, £1300 for the frame? So while they are both designed for the same job, they both feel very different.

I tested a Carbon Nomad recently (I posted on here about it being a game changer. That idea wasn't well received by the the conservative – small c – party representatives of STW). It blew me away based on how light and stiff it was. As ever the suspension action is very different to other bikes but if you can get your head around that and you can afford it, then my goodness it's one heck of a bike. I mean 27lbs for a bike that would happily ride everything the UK DH scene can offer it (and I mean ride it well, not just barely get down in one piece).

Of course the Alpine will do the same for almost half the price, but it's going to weight 2lbs more like for like.

So you pays your money and takes your choice and **** what anyone else thinks or says.

Pedal and Spoke in Peaslake have a Carbon Nomad for demo so give them a try.

Personally, if I were buying another AM bike and I wanted something capable, light (happily sub 30lbs) a bit more exotic than an off the peg bike but still about the same price as an Orange Alpine and with a suspension action that was unfussy, neutral and supple, then I'd be going for an Ellsworth Moment.

Warrenpfo
    Free Member

Geetee thanks for the input, i test rode the Nomad std the other day for the weekend and was not blown away at all. I was looking for a carbon one to try but could not find one so will give the guys at pedal and spoke a call and maybe just maybe get down there this weekend.

Ill take a look at the Ellsworth Moment and try to get a test ride on a Spicy but not sure who demos them locally to me here in Berkshire.

The 160 is also a great bike and liked it but think its worth giving the others a go before i make the decision.

geetee1972
    Free Member

OK so you're not a million miles from here – Freeborn Horsham or Esher will give you a demo of the Moment (call and speak to James, it will be his bike or perhaps Paul's that you ride depending on what size you want – 01403 251 252). Nirvana Cycles are then just down the road and are a Lapierre dealer, I think they do demos as well. Not sure of their number but they have a decent website.

Warrenpfo
    Free Member

Hmmm i think a long weekend at Surrey hills may be in order with many a bike demmo. Thanks again

geetee1972
    Free Member

Do you also want me to mention Head for the Hills who can let you demo an Ibis Mojo and a Nicolai Helius AC?

Warrenpfo
    Free Member

That C Nomad you rode did it by some chance have a CCDB on it??

geetee1972
    Free Member

Not at the time I rode it as it had only just been left by the rep. But the guys at pedal and spoke run Nomads and use CCDBs so likely they transferred one just for the hell of it.

backhander
    Free Member

That nomad C is the only bike I currently covet. I'd LOVE to try one.

Warrenpfo
    Free Member

Ill let you know how it goes if i can get there on Sunday as im riding the chilterns tomorrow.

Dirtynap
    Free Member

Spicy's are great bikes. I prefer it over my mates nomad. Infact he is selling his nomad to get a spicy.
    Not sure the extra £1000 for a carbon nomad frame is worth it to be honest. Who cares about the little extra weight.

simonm
    Free Member

Well I'm selling a 160 and getting a nomad C… will let you know how they compare… watch out for how long the 160 is though, its Geometry is almost identicle to a SX Trail…

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Whenever I have a quick spin on a friends spicy, I'm always impressed with how well it seems to pedal despite the shock being super soft for my weight.
    Out of your three i'd definitely try all three but I'd personally go for the Orange. Words I've read about it include "descends like a mini 224" thats good enough for me I gotta say.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Are these the same?’ is closed to new replies.