• This topic has 22 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by wicki.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Are these frame proportions unusual in any way
  • wicki
    Free Member

Are any of these frame proportions unusual in any way ?

explanation to follow I don`t want to prompt any one.

52cm

Head angle: 70 degrees
    Seat angle: 73 degrees
    Top tube (measured): 543mm
    Top tube (effective): 565mm
    Head tube length: 170mm
    Wheel base: 1075mm

55cm

Top tube (measured): 556mm
    Top tube (effective): 578mm
    Head tube length: 170mm
    Wheel base: 1076mm

58cm

Top tube (measured): 572mm
    Top tube (effective): 592mm
    Head tube length: 190mm
    Wheel base: 1091mm

nedrapier

I’d expect the 55cm wheelbase to be longer.

MrSmith
    Free Member

huge head tubes so very much sportive bikes for tubsters with no flexibility 😆 and whats with the head angle?? slack for even a cross bike.
    surprised the seat angle hasn’t changed by half a degree from the 52-58

is it one of those ‘cross’ bikes made by a MTB manufacturer to make MTB’ers feel comfortable with drop bars when in reality they have created a nodder/commuter frame?

either way i wouldn’t buy/ride one.

MrSmith
    Free Member

So what’s the explanation? 8)

TiRed

That’s a long top tube on a 52 frame. And a very tall headtube. The 70 degree head angle would be slow steering for a tourer, but OK for a hardtail off road!

I’d look elsewhere based on those numbers alone.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

How is the wheelbase only 1mm longer on the 55?

Edric64
    Free Member

Slack if a road bike .Tourers used to be 72 parallel

cynic-al
    Free Member

As said above some of the numbers are plain wrong!

thomthumb
    Free Member

i can’t work out what type of bike it’s gonna be.

i couldn’t make one fit me!

wicki
    Free Member

It is a Revolution country traveller tourer my first drop bar bike,

I purchased mail(duh) order as i live in france and drop bar tourers are hard to find here,but i just dont seam to be able to make it fit

the 55 comes with a 70 mm stem so shortining the cockpit is hard and the effective top tube seams rather long when compared with other touring frames EBC dont publish geometry and i did not do enough research but trusted the salesmans advice that the 55 was right for a man 5’9″.

njee20
    Free Member

That’s a long top tube on a 52 frame. And a very tall headtube.

These were my thoughts.

I’m 5’10” on a good day, and I’d not fancy a 578mm TT, although a headline figure of “55cm” sounds more likely than a 52cm, which is how you’re in this position!

wicki
    Free Member
    MrSmith
    Free Member

Send it back. It’s a cheap bike but you will faff around trying to make it fit and it will either never fit or you will make it compromised to fit (silly short stem upsetting handling or saddle position changing ideal pedalling dynamics)

Get fitted/sized properly and buy a bike that has your ideal geometry or is very close to it.

oldnpastit

You might be able to shorten it a bit by changing the bars for some shallower ones.

But if you can, you might be better off sending it back as per distance selling regulations.

wicki
    Free Member

Had it to long to send it back and EBC are not making any compensatory noises.

Ok i think that this bike will never fit and maybe i need to get on and try to save the situation, I can not buy a frame easily here or get good advice so Iam stuck with mail order from the uk….I have found this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161440398835?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&var=460480052728&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Iam thinking to swap the components over any one think this frame a beter fit

Ridgeback panorama

Frame size 52
    Seat Tube 520
    Top Tube 540
    Headtube 110
    Head Angle 71
    Seat Angle 74
    Chainstay 450

tomd
    Free Member

Doesn’t someone on this thread work for EBC, or did I imagine it?

wicki
    Free Member

The bars are already short reach shalow drop.

oldnpastit

Have you looked at Planet-X London Road or Kaffenback?

wicki
    Free Member

yes the London road on sale is quite attractive 149 for the silver and i think the medium would fit but then i have to buy discs for those frames the rigdeback would take the running gear from the ebc machine.

sweepy
    Free Member

I’m following this with interest as I got a Revolution cross a few years back and have never taken to it as it feels about a mile long. I dont know if its the bike or me not being used to drop bars but it dont feel right. I think i’ll get the tape measure on it and see how it compares to those numbers.

wicki
    Free Member

I think the problem is with most of their bikes they only offer 3 sizes if you fall on the cusp then you may struggle to get a good fit look at nearly every one else and they offer 4,5 or 6 different sizes ….. 💡 I dont think you can cover from 5′ 3″ to 6’3″ on 3 sizes.

oldnpastit

Ribble’s 525 Audax frame? Does the P-X Uncle John have canti mounts?

wicki
    Free Member

Tried a 60mm stem lowered the seat 1 cm bike became very twitchy especially at low speed and at high speed in the drops.

putting it up to sell its not for me,been cycling all my life now 54 and maybe its just to late to come to drops i’l get a hybrid for touring and chalk this up to experience still got the mtb’s so not to much off a loss as long as i can get a few quid back. should never have sold my cannondale ultra touring that was a lovely bike sigh!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Are these frame proportions unusual in any way’ is closed to new replies.